EB Allergies - we've tried Fromm and Orijen, is it safe to try the Iams prescribed by the vet?

JMUdukedog

Jan 16, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jameson
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading through many of the posts on nutrition, allergies, bulldog care, and training. I absolutely love how sweet and helpful everyone is on this forum. You have a wonderful community!

I have a 14 month old EB, Jameson, who has been dealing with allergies (the itchies as we call them) since he was about 6 months. Due to the advice on this forum, we've tried him on just about every grain free version of Fromm that we could find. We settled on lamb as it seems to agree with him the best. We've also tried Orijen 6 fish and regional red. Orijen, like Blue Buffalo, makes Jameson drink exorbitant amounts of water. I always start mixing in a few nuggets at night so that I can make sure there's no terrible reaction. With Orijen and Blue Buffalo, he went through 2 bowls of water in a span of 20 minutes.

The only treats he is currently getting are frozen green beans and turkey (cold cut - this is how he gets his 1 benadryl a day).

I found the sticky on allergies and have tried switching the bowls, the recommended products, etc. It seems from most of the posts that it tends to be food related.

The vet has prescribed Iams Skin & Coat Plus. The thought of him eating Iams is a little scary. Has anyone tried this or do you have any other suggestions on other foods we can try? We have had bad luck with chicken (vomiting) so we are staying away from anything with chicken in it.

Thank you!

Nina (Jameson's Mom)

food1.jpg
food2.jpg

jameson2.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That food is made up of mostly oat flour, canola meal and kangaroo. While it may be worth a try, and could help, this is not a good diet for long term health, especially when they weighed the kangaroo meat it was wet and not dehydrated so I doubt that there's very much kangaroo in it at all.

Surprisingly that's not too bad of a food- it's the long term damage it could do that worries me.

Honestly I would try it just to see if it works. If it does, you could supplement with Nuvet plus.

Also a word about turkey cold cuts, I can't give those to Molly or she breaks out in hives, so you may want to try a safer pill disguise like a small bit of americancheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Another alternative would be to detox with one of the base mixes from The Honest Kitchen for a month or so then slowly introduce different animal proteins to see which ones cause a reaction while still using the base mix as you control the animal proteins that go in it. We had to do this for my Harlea and it worked wonders to the point that we not only identified which animal proteins caused problems but the amounts of ech she could have before problems occurred.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was also going to suggest The Honest Kitchen

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, were on the honest kitchen and we add our own protein. It's the only thing that's worked great for us after going through at least 8-10 different kibbles & even raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Whatever you go with, add a couple avocado slices (no pit or peel tho)
to a meal daily or as a treat. It's a great fat to help with skin/fur health
and great nutrients overall. Canned sardines (only water based or olive oil)
as another treat alternative helps too with providing Omega fats. A couple
once or twice a week. Good luck & let us know...NO to Iams and change
from turkey to put meds in, maybe cheese.

Members online

No members online now.