helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there,

Was wondering if your puppy or when your dog was a puppy if you left them food all day long and nights. I always had dogs but more Dobermans or German Shepherd and never fed them after their supper even as a puppy. But the breeder where I got my little bully Nyala yesterday, she leaves the bowl for the puppies and eat as they want. She doesn't pig out either. Nyala is paper trained and never went out till yesterday. She pees n poops outside yay for me. But she did pooped in her kennel when I got up. So im use to not feed after hours but water. She's only 3.5 months old n weighs 18lbs. Shes a MINATURE Bulldog. Yes I know most don't believe in miniatures but for me right now is what I wanted.

Do/did you leave your bullies eat when they wanted? :)

Thanks for your input.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Mine eats at breakfast at 5:30am and dinner at 5:00pm and has been on that schedule since I brought her home at 8 weeks almost 3 years ago. She will get little healthy snacks throughout the day but i don't leave food down all the time as she would eat non-stop if I let her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I used this chart to help with feeding schedule.... some do what is called 'free feed' (food out at all times) but most dogs will eat it all in one shot. My sister trained her GSD and Pug to free feed and they did very well. However, all four of the bulldogs I have had (past/current) would eat till they puked, so free feed is not an option for us.

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a 12 week old pup that was originally free fed… well that won't work here because Walter would eat all of her food!!! I feed her 1/2 to 3/4 a cup 3 times a day… 6am, 12noon and 5pm. It's working out great!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we feed meals twice a day, but we had to move the dinner time later in the evening because Lola would vomit on an empty stomach in the middle of the night. Dinner after 5:30 now. We feed frozen raw food so we could never leave it out, and Lola would overeat it I'm sure if we did. If you want to free feed, monitor your pups weight and if starting to become overweight, limit the amount of food you put out per day. We monitored Lola's weight when we were trying to determine how much raw to feed per day for weight loss vs maintenance.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If we free fed we would live with 2 balloons and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them would pop. Bulldogs don't have the mental reasoning to stop eating (like cats have), they will eat an entire bag and wait for another one and another and another etc....it's a dangerous and dare-devilish thing to do.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for your response. Cool!

Nyala doesn't empty the bowl n waits for more. She comes n go throughout the day. Just she poops in her kennel when I wake up at 6am. Yes I know she's not even 4 months old n it's expected. I work from home so easy to put her out. She learns fast. Patience I know. Lol

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley are fed three times a day (i.e. 0430 hours, 1230 or 1500 hours, and 1830 hours with a treat at 2100 hours). Of course they are 2.5 and 2 years old respectively. Jewel has empty stomach syndrome as she pukes frothy yellowish bile if she doesn't have anything in her stomach for a long while.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.