jgmcg

Jan 12, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Keira
Awesome forum and thank you in advance to all the great members on here. I've been trying to research feeding schedule for Keira our 6 month old English Bulldog. We already worked thru a couple brands and found that Orijen Puppy worked amazing. She loves it and thankfully doesn't even have gas now!

We had her on the regular Orijen puppy food but after reading some reviews on here and discussing with vet decided to switch to the Orijen Large Breed. She still loves it!

However I'm still searching to ensure we have her on a proper feeding schedule.

Keira is 6 months old, female and currently weighs 40 pounds. Our vet is assuming she will peak around 45 pounds but looking at growth charts online it would seem she could easily go over that.

We currently feed her 3 times per since one of us is always home and do a 3/4 cup per feeding. She is in between on the Orijen charts so this seemed to be the best compromise. Does that seem normal from your perspective and does anyone have opinions if we should keep her on 3 times feeding or eventually scale back to twice per day once she moves out of puppy food?

Thanks!
Justin

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN sounds like you got a good schedule going.... here is a chart to help with the food guidelines:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
:welcome3: to EBN sounds like you got a good schedule going.... here is a chart to help with the food guidelines:

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

So Glad you are having such great results!! - Sadly our Vet is not familiar with this food, BUT we do have our Ellie on just the Regular Orijen Puppy for right now.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this place already has been such a comforting place for this new Bully mama, wanting to give this best to her baby.:D

Sadly right now we are dealing with Crystals in her Urine, with a Higher PH - 8, which is why we purchased the Orijen as it is Higher Protien, and Grain Free, as that is my understanding of the brand. :(

We are hoping this will balance out Ellie, and help her crystals go away, we also have starting giving her strictly Bottled water, Vitamin C (per Vet), and Orijen - Fingers Crossed in couple weeks when we retest, we will have better results!!:pray:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN. 2Bullymama has provided you with information. As far as scaling back, I think Keira will let you know when she wasn't to change. Jewel and Bentley still get fed three times a day mainly to keep Jewel's empty stomach syndrome in check.

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
George is still fed 3 times a day I can't see how it matters how many times they are fed once the dog is only getting the daily allowance of food recommended. I am using Orijen puppy and he seems much better on it I couldn't get the large puppy when I ordered it but I was told the food was the same just that the actual pieces were bigger in the large puppy. His only issue with it is the tear stains from it but the witch hazel is helping to make that a little better.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
From orijen website

The energy content in ORIJEN Large Breed puppy is lower than our regular Puppy diet to prevent an excess of energy (calories) and improper growth. Low glycemic carbohydrate sources promote peak conditioning and help manage body weight2. Calcium is a minimum of 1.2% and a maximum of 1.5%3. The ratio of calcium and phosphorus is within what is defined as optimal for growing large breed puppies (1.2:1-1.4:1)If you would like to read more about the needs of growing large breed puppies please visit our Library.*LIBRARY | Champion Petfoods.....

As you see NOTHING to do cause it's bigger bites. Ive been using orijen for 8 yrs for my German Shepherd. When he was 6 months old at 55lbs he was switched to adult formula. Ive emailed orijen for Nyala cause of regular puppy orijen. It has more calories and im to give her 1cup and 1/3 only as she should be adult size around 40lbs. She's a mini English Bulldog. She's only 4.5 months old. My luck she'll be 50 lol... so just email them with questions if you are not sure of something the will answer you. For Nyala after this bag, she's going on adult bags. 6lbs in a week is alot... very rich food them puppy bags... but fantastic dog food to my eyes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.