TOTW Salmon or FROMM?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Our bully puppy (5months) is eating Wellness puppy right now. His weight is great, he loves it and his energy level is terrific.

That being said, he has wicked tear stains that I just can't get rid of (I clean his face every day), puppy acne, and stinky soft serve poop. We do use a stainless bowl that I wash every day and I have been using distilled drinking water and benzoyl peroxide on his acne.

I know a change is in order with his food but I am torn between two. Our basset hound is on TOTW salmon so it would be super easy to switch to that or I can try to find the Fromm somewhere around here.

#1 how do you feel about putting a puppy on an all stages food like TOTW

#2 Anyone tried both and have any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have tried both and I do need to point out that I only did one bag of TOTW but that was enough for me. I thought it smelled awful. So I could not even give my bullies a chance before I switched to the next food. I did food trials for about 8 months before I settled on Fromm. If you have a hard time finding Fromm (it is usually only sold in pet boutiques) you can get it from petflow with coupon code ENGLISHBULLDOG and you will get free shipping on orders over $59

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Funny that you thought TOTW smelled bad. The Bison & Venison is a bit strong but I don't think the salmon smells bad. The bison & venison gave our basset some serious stinky gas but the salmon seems to be ok.

I was reading the ingredient list of the FROMM puppy and it has chicken & duck. I was a little iffy on whether or not it might be the chicken causing the issues with Gator, our bully.

I really appreciate your opinions. Thank you both for taking the time to answer! :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It smelled sourish and fishy. I dunno- it is always possible it was a sour bag. :lol: You never know!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus just turned 1-yr old in January. I've had him on TOTW Lamb and FROMM Surf & Turf. I never found a "Puppy formula" that was Grain-Free, so I gave him the TOTW and FROMM. He loves both of them. He also gets CALIFORNIA NATURAL Grain-Free Lamb Meal, and he loves that too. That being said, he actually gets 3 different dog foods. I just mix them together or alternate them.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I switched from wellness puppy to Fromm and have noticed an extreme difference in my Bella in just 2 1/2 weeks. Her soft serve is now a healthy log(easier to clean up too:lol:) and I barely even have to wipe her bummie any more. Her face i thought spelled like hampster pee before and now the smell has disipating a great extent and I think it gets less every day. She had bad allergies starting and now those are clearing up. She had aweful tear stains and her eyes were starting to get gooey, but now they are so much better and I barely notice any "dirty" spots on the wipies when I clean her face now. I highly recommend Fromm and from what I've seen on this site, you won't find anything bad to be said about it.
As for the TOTW, I have no experience with that but my MIL adopted a puggle with HORRIBLE allergy issues. He looked like he had mange and was so itchy with open sores all over. He was on antibiotics, special meds, rx shampoos, and TOTW by vets suggestion. Well, his allergies never went away and got so bad that he had to be put to sleep :*(. I can't help but wonder if she would have switched him to grain free Fromm and used witch hazel and coconut oil on his body, if he would have gotten better. I bet for him, it was the food!
I hope this helps a little and good luck in your research. Every dog is different and in the end, I am sure you will find something that fits your dog's needs and leaves you confident in your choice.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Another thing....Bellawas 8 months old when I switched her to Fromm. I was worried at first about taking her off a puppy food, but she seems to be doing great on it! I don't think there is anything to worry about here. Plus, with a higher grade foom, they get all the nutrition they need and don't need the "boost" of nutrients added to lower grade puppy foods.

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I just put Molly on Fromm. I did a lot of research before I figured out what I wanted to try, and everyone raves about Fromm. I don't think I saw one person say they didn't like the results of their bullie on it. I am so excited to see if it helps Molly. She has some bad tear stains (part of which may have been from her cherry eyes, which recently got fixed), and her coat doesn't look as nice as it could. She really seems to like the taste and I have already noticed she doesn't eat as much as when she was on her previous food. Before, I gave her 1 1/2 cups, twice daily and she would be dragging her food bowl around for more. I am now feeding 1 c, twice daily, and so far she has yet to completely finish her cup per meal.

I signed up for Petflow, using the free shipping code mentioned above. I also ordered some Fromm treats. But I had to go buy a small bag from a specialty store earlier this week because I took to long to decide on a food and she was going to run out soon.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
For those of you with pups (especially Molly's mom who is now using Fromm) are you going to use the puppy formula or one of the adult formulas? TOTW and Wellness are both excellent foods but I am starting to realize that it might take a while to find the right food for him. I will also most likely switch Lucy (basset) to whatever Gator is going to eat because she doesn't have any food issues that I have found other than the gas on the bison and venison TOTW. It will be so nice because right now she REALLY wants his food and he is very interested in hers so I have to stand between them when they eat. They would happily eat at the same time out of the same bowl! Maybe if they are eating the same thing they won't be interested anymore. lol

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for that! I did look at it and must have been looking at the wrong selections. I will take a second look. I did see that there is a store here that carries it. I will most likely take your suggestion and order it but it is nice to know that if we should run out for some reason, I can get it here in town.

Thank you to everyone for the insights and suggestions! I really appreciate your help and I am sure Gator will appreciate it too :)

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Yes, the 4 star line is an all stages food- what's nice is that you can switch between flavors too! That is what I got my Molly.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I don't know. I feed Maximus TOTW, and never thought it smelled bad .......I also use FROMM and definitely think FROMM smells bad ! Oh Yes ! It smells bad! Yet it is a top rated food and my Bullie loves it....
so go figure !!!! I really though don't make a habit of smelling and sniffing dog food ........to me it all smells bad ! Because it's meant for dogs, but TOTW really has no foul smell or smell at all to me......
FROMM is very greasy and oily and does have a strong odor ! My Pug won't go near FROMM, but Maximus loves it !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.