Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need HELP!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)

Default Need HELP!!!!

This might be a long one but I need some help...my dog is 3 and has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe for the majority of his life. Noticing some smell and surfing on this site, I decided to switch to Blue Wilderness Red Meat ( Thinking maybe the salmon was making him fishy).

I was thinking about transitioning him to TOTW but started reading a great thread (thanks @bullmama) and Bullmama was talking about Natures Variety Instinct.....

Now I'm starting to think that it might be the potatoes causing the yeasty ears ( or hoping) and thinking about going to NVI because they don't use potatoes.

I clean his ears every day if not every other day, witch hazel one day and then non-alcoholic wipes to get the goop out the other days.
    He gets a TBS of coconut oil on his morning meal and a spoon of Non-fat Greek Yogurt for dinner and ACV in water. He has never had any problems however gets really bad yeasty ears.

This picture is a day after using witch hazel. No ear infections per vet just yeastiness of nastiness.

So A).Could this be the potatoes, since he is on grain free and has always been on it?
    B). Would the NVI be better?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need HELP!!!!

i am curious to know the answer myself... my Rocky gets that also.. i switched his food off of the rice because it was giving him really bad tear stains and i thought maybe it was causing all the gunk in his ear also... his ears got somewhat better but not totally.. sorry i don't have any answers.. i just know the rice is what caused some of his issues .. hope you can figure it out.. i know how frustrating it is..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking potatoes, Bullmama said that they can develop yeast issues on grain free so possibly from potatoes

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty heavy yeast infection that may require a vet visit so they can give you some strong ear wash and ointment to get rid of it.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bcarro45 View Post
    This might be a long one but I need some help...my dog is 3 and has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe for the majority of his life. Noticing some smell and surfing on this site, I decided to switch to Blue Wilderness Red Meat ( Thinking maybe the salmon was making him fishy).

I was thinking about transitioning him to TOTW but started reading a great thread (thanks @bull mama) and Bullmama was talking about Natures Variety Instinct.....

Now I'm starting to think that it might be the potatoes causing the yeasty ears ( or hoping) and thinking about going to NVI because they don't use potatoes.

I clean his ears every day if not every other day, witch hazel one day and then non-alcoholic wipes to get the goop out the other days.
    He gets a TBS of coconut oil on his morning meal and a spoon of Non-fat Greek Yogurt for dinner and ACV in water. He has never had any problems however gets really bad yeasty ears.

This picture is a day after using witch hazel. No ear infections per vet just yeastiness of nastiness.

So A).Could this be the potatoes, since he is on grain free and has always been on it?
    B). Would the NVI be better?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, I also have this problem on and off with bulldozers ears due to allergies. He's allergic to 7 different proteins and he does the worst on chicken, salmon, lamb and rabbit.
    He's currently on Go Natural Sensitivity and Shine Venison and interchange him with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble and then add my own non animal proteins like cottage cheese, kidney beans, and eggs.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)

Well I'm going to back to Vet today and see if there is anything with it. Thanks for all the replies

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I recently decided to switch food because of his ears so I don't have the solution there, but I find that a half and half solution of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol works better to clear up his ears than witch hazel. He hates when I put the liquid in so I use a round cotton face pad soaked in the solution to apply.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bcarro45 View Post
    Well I'm going to back to Vet today and see if there is anything with it. Thanks for all the replies

I'd be willing to say the potatoes may be the cause. Tyson is also allergic to them. He does okay with sweet potato in moderation. But I would get this ear issue under control while transitioning to a new food with no potato - see if you notice a difference after about a week or two.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

could be mites too

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)

It was an ear infection and now all of a sudden allergic to potatoes. Beaux was all excited when I got him in the car ( he thought we were going to the groomers) however he appeared to be mad at me on the way home and ignored me!

12. Likes bullmama, TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

He could have gotten the infection from the potato allergy. My Brutus gets an ear infection when he has a reaction to something. You could try a grain free novel protein food. That's what I have to do. I feed blue buffalo limited ingredient grain free duck and potato. They have combinations without potato
    My smooshy face boy!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beaux
    Likes (Received)

He has been on Blue Wilderness since he has gone to adult food. I decided to go with

Good reviews, no grains and no potatoes. Started the slow transition today, hopefully this will help.

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads