Need HELP!!!!

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
This might be a long one but I need some help...my dog is 3 and has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe for the majority of his life. Noticing some smell and surfing on this site, I decided to switch to Blue Wilderness Red Meat ( Thinking maybe the salmon was making him fishy).

I was thinking about transitioning him to TOTW but started reading a great thread (thanks [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]) and Bullmama was talking about Natures Variety Instinct.....

Now I'm starting to think that it might be the potatoes causing the yeasty ears ( or hoping) and thinking about going to NVI because they don't use potatoes.

I clean his ears every day if not every other day, witch hazel one day and then non-alcoholic wipes to get the goop out the other days.
He gets a TBS of coconut oil on his morning meal and a spoon of Non-fat Greek Yogurt for dinner and ACV in water. He has never had any problems however gets really bad yeasty ears.
ef93e0ef46fb1c6be0c29f0bb0ec1390.jpg

This picture is a day after using witch hazel. No ear infections per vet just yeastiness of nastiness.

So A).Could this be the potatoes, since he is on grain free and has always been on it?
B). Would the NVI be better?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i am curious to know the answer myself... my Rocky gets that also.. i switched his food off of the rice because it was giving him really bad tear stains and i thought maybe it was causing all the gunk in his ear also... his ears got somewhat better but not totally.. sorry i don't have any answers.. i just know the rice is what caused some of his issues .. hope you can figure it out.. i know how frustrating it is..

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I'm thinking potatoes, Bullmama said that they can develop yeast issues on grain free so possibly from potatoes

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's a pretty heavy yeast infection that may require a vet visit so they can give you some strong ear wash and ointment to get rid of it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This might be a long one but I need some help...my dog is 3 and has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe for the majority of his life. Noticing some smell and surfing on this site, I decided to switch to Blue Wilderness Red Meat ( Thinking maybe the salmon was making him fishy).

I was thinking about transitioning him to TOTW but started reading a great thread (thanks @bull mama) and Bullmama was talking about Natures Variety Instinct.....

Now I'm starting to think that it might be the potatoes causing the yeasty ears ( or hoping) and thinking about going to NVI because they don't use potatoes.

I clean his ears every day if not every other day, witch hazel one day and then non-alcoholic wipes to get the goop out the other days.
He gets a TBS of coconut oil on his morning meal and a spoon of Non-fat Greek Yogurt for dinner and ACV in water. He has never had any problems however gets really bad yeasty ears.
ef93e0ef46fb1c6be0c29f0bb0ec1390.jpg

This picture is a day after using witch hazel. No ear infections per vet just yeastiness of nastiness.

So A).Could this be the potatoes, since he is on grain free and has always been on it?
B). Would the NVI be better?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, I also have this problem on and off with bulldozers ears due to allergies. He's allergic to 7 different proteins and he does the worst on chicken, salmon, lamb and rabbit.
He's currently on Go Natural Sensitivity and Shine Venison and interchange him with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble and then add my own non animal proteins like cottage cheese, kidney beans, and eggs.

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Well I'm going to back to Vet today and see if there is anything with it. Thanks for all the replies

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I recently decided to switch food because of his ears so I don't have the solution there, but I find that a half and half solution of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol works better to clear up his ears than witch hazel. He hates when I put the liquid in so I use a round cotton face pad soaked in the solution to apply.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well I'm going to back to Vet today and see if there is anything with it. Thanks for all the replies

I'd be willing to say the potatoes may be the cause. Tyson is also allergic to them. He does okay with sweet potato in moderation. But I would get this ear issue under control while transitioning to a new food with no potato - see if you notice a difference after about a week or two.

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
It was an ear infection and now all of a sudden allergic to potatoes. Beaux was all excited when I got him in the car ( he thought we were going to the groomers) however he appeared to be mad at me on the way home and ignored me!
26b880ac2fdddaa3e0a05fa5d54a0ca4.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He could have gotten the infection from the potato allergy. My Brutus gets an ear infection when he has a reaction to something. You could try a grain free novel protein food. That's what I have to do. I feed blue buffalo limited ingredient grain free duck and potato. They have combinations without potato

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
He has been on Blue Wilderness since he has gone to adult food. I decided to go with
babce4484285fca0942a1dca78a2b3d8.jpg

Good reviews, no grains and no potatoes. Started the slow transition today, hopefully this will help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Damn potatoes!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.