Fromm Vs Orijen Vs Acana

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Hello,
I know this topic has been addressed in different ways but I am not able to find any information on a direct comparison of Fromm vs Orijen vs Acana. I understand that many on this forum like Fromm, but outside of this forum it is still highly regarded but not as popular. How come not as many people are using orijen or acana here? If you were to compare Fromm to Orijen and Acana what would be your thinking?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it really just depends on what works best for your bully. We have tried Orijen and Acana, and they did well for awhile, but one bully or the other started either itching, or turned red with them, so when we tried FROMM. We went to FROMM and it took a few protein changes to find one that worked for all of them, but we have been on FROMM for several years and doing well.

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
We also tried Orijen Six Fish and found he ended up itchy and red and loose stools (should be nice and firm). We tried FROMM Beef Frittata Veg next and he's been doing very well on it for over two years now. We also tried FROMM Pork and Peas and he does well on that one as well so we easily switch back and forth between the two to give him variety. Really it's trial and error you'll need to find what works best for your bully. Good luck :).

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hello,
I know this topic has been addressed in different ways but I am not able to find any information on a direct comparison of Fromm vs Orijen vs Acana. I understand that many on this forum like Fromm, but outside of this forum it is still highly regarded but not as popular. How come not as many people are using orijen or acana here? If you were to compare Fromm to Orijen and Acana what would be your thinking?
I have tried two out of the three (Acana and Fromm) and like Fromm better due to the way Bass' face, coat, tear stains and paws handle it. I have had terrible luck trying to find a kibble that keeps the yeast at bay and so far Fromm is the one that works best - with him. A lot of members swear by Orijen or Acana and a few other good brands (Canidae, TOTW ect…) it really just depends on which one your dog responds to the best.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Fromm's for my bullies, but I know w/Orijen what got me was the price… it was the most expensive here in our area. Another great one to try (and has a good rating to boot) is Earthborne Holistic, my boxer was on that for years.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
All 3 of my dogs (Winnie is the only bully) eat Orijen Six Fish and have never had any issues on it. They have also occasionally eaten the other Orijen favors and no problems with them either. I've never really compared prices, but Orijen is very expensive. I've never tried Fromm or Ancana though, because I've been so happy with the Orijen.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I may be wrong, but I believe both Orijen and Acana have higher levels of protein than Fromm?

Fromm isn't available here so Castor hasn't tried it but he has experience of both Orijen Six Fish and Acana Lamb. He loved both brands and the lists of ingredients are great but his tummy couldn't handle them. He is now on James Wellbeloved Lamb and Veg with a lower level of protein and his tummy is doing much bettter.

OP
E

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
It seems from these posts that perhaps some tried Orijen Six Fish but no mention of the regional red grain. There are many reports of people even having allergies to the Fromm fish flavors. Fromm definitely took away the allergic reactions that my dog has encountered with other dog foods but she does not seem eager to eat Fromm and often needs encouragement or the addition of something to make it more appetizing. I do see a big push for Fromm on this forum, eg. the competitions provide Fromm prizes.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty is on his second bag of Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear and so far so good. Protein is 27% and Fromm's seem to vary, some higher, some lower. He hasn't been on Fromm's (yet) and I am hoping the Acana will continue to work for him. Finding the right food is a nightmare.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never tried Orijen or Acana but both are awesome choices and many here do feed them. Fromm just has a great success here in the forum and saved so many, and since they have so many grain free choices it is easy for bulldog owners to switch from one to the other without having to do a slow change. Plus they use human grade ingredients as well as they were one of the first dog foods to include probiotics in the guaranteed analysis of the dog food. Also since they are a small owned company that relies on word-of-mouth advertising, and do not spend any of the money on such type of advertising you know that the money is going into the food. It is also comforting to me that I know that the same group of people have been judging the contests for years now, and if ever I have a question I know I can send them an email and they answer me right away. It's just the kind of company and dog food I am proud to feed my dogs. After I did several dog food trials back in 2010, once I found from and saw the difference it made in my dogs I just cannot seem to change even though I'd like to try something new because they look great like Acana, i've just never gotten around to it because I'm happy where I'm at I guess :)

Last but not least, they've never had a recall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I have never tried Orijen or Acana but both are awesome choices and many here do feed them. Fromm just has a great success here in the forum and saved so many, and since they have so many grain free choices it is easy for bulldog owners to switch from one to the other without having to do a slow change. Plus they use human grade ingredients as well as they were one of the first dog foods to include probiotics in the guaranteed analysis of the dog food. Also since they are a small owned company that relies on word-of-mouth advertising, and do not spend any of the money on such type of advertising you know that the money is going into the food. It is also comforting to me that I know that the same group of people have been judging the contests for years now, and if ever I have a question I know I can send them an email and they answer me right away. It's just the kind of company and dog food I am proud to feed my dogs. After I did several dog food trials back in 2010, once I found from and saw the difference it made in my dogs I just cannot seem to change even though I'd like to try something new because they look great like Acana, i've just never gotten around to it because I'm happy where I'm at I guess :)

Last but not least, they've never had a recall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:goodpost:
Great info…I wanted to add to it because…I have personally contacted this company when the scare of certain meat/fish products were "US raised" but processed else where…they reassured me that their meat and fish were not from a place I had concerns about, answered my e-mail ASAP (huge plus) AND…I am at ease knowing that this company has yet to have a recall.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If Fromm were to ever fail for my guys.... Acana/Orijen would be at the top of the list for me to go to. Since my guys do so well on Fromm, I am hesitant to mess with what is not broken

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
They are all great top-line foods but I would have to defer to Wilma which one she would want and tolerate (i.e. watch out for allergies).

I also agree to the above posts on this thread.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=15073]EnglishLove[/MENTION], did you make your decision on the food yet?

I'm at the bottom of the Earthborne Holistic bag so I'm going to make a switch to Orijen Six Fish (I think). Will stop by the feed store tonight to see if they have this. If not, the 2nd choice is trying Acana Pacifica. Finn's skin issues has me playing dog-food-hopscotch again so keeping my fingers crossed one of the above will suit him well.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Orijen is at the top of my list.

One of mine showed allergies to chicken. Orijen is the only one he can eat and not have any reactions to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.