Thread: Question about water % and food

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

Default Question about water % and food

Hello all!

So both my boys are on Fromm's Pork and Peas, and they are doing well enough on it. They both are perfect weight, and they both usually eat 6 cups a day, 3 am, 3 in the pm. I know this is more than the norm, but they are both extremely active bullies.

On Christmas Eve, I noticed my food was nearly out, and I usually order online, and didn't expect to get anything by just after Christmas. So on Christmas morning, up until yesterday PM, they boys were on a bland diet of lean turkey, hamburger meat, a natural pork loin (no seasoning) from my butcher, yogurt, and oatmeal. I was not sure about the oatmeal, but I used it as a filler, and they certainly enjoyed it. During this time, they both had decent poops (but not as often, or as large as usual.) I also noticed, they were not as gassy as usual, but what struck me as strange is that they hardly touched their water. I usually have to fill it up about twice a day, and I've switched it out every day since, but they've not gotten to the bottom as usual.

Now that they are back on their Fromm's P&P, they are drinking the water as usual, and it's only been a day. Is this strange? Does it have to do with the water weight in foods?

Thanks in advance for any comments or insight!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about water % and food

@YHSublime People that feed their dogs raw, often say they do not drink as much water.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Question about water % and food

True. Kibble will always make them drink more. It's dry, has more fillers. When on raw or even home cooked - they get more hydration from the meat totally normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @YHSublime People that feed their dogs raw, often say they do not drink as much water.
    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    True. Kibble will always make them drink more. It's dry, has more fillers. When on raw or even home cooked - they get more hydration from the meat totally normal

I presumed as much, not concerned at all, just curious. Really makes me wish I could source cheaper materials for raw feeding.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by YHSublime View Post
    I presumed as much, not concerned at all, just curious. Really makes me wish I could source cheaper materials for raw feeding.

It freaked me out the first time we went raw, I was so stressed thinking he was sick. They will also drink less on bland. Rice/Chicken. We feed Tyson The Honest Kitchen (one of their bases) and we add in our own protein. He drinks way less then when he was on kibble. But still drinks enough

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

8. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree - Castor was on raw for a while and he hardly drank anything. We often soak his kibble and he only drinks once or possibly twice a day but if we serve the kibble dry he will drink several times a day.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Remove Ads