YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Hello all!

So both my boys are on Fromm's Pork and Peas, and they are doing well enough on it. They both are perfect weight, and they both usually eat 6 cups a day, 3 am, 3 in the pm. I know this is more than the norm, but they are both extremely active bullies.

On Christmas Eve, I noticed my food was nearly out, and I usually order online, and didn't expect to get anything by just after Christmas. So on Christmas morning, up until yesterday PM, they boys were on a bland diet of lean turkey, hamburger meat, a natural pork loin (no seasoning) from my butcher, yogurt, and oatmeal. I was not sure about the oatmeal, but I used it as a filler, and they certainly enjoyed it. During this time, they both had decent poops (but not as often, or as large as usual.) I also noticed, they were not as gassy as usual, but what struck me as strange is that they hardly touched their water. I usually have to fill it up about twice a day, and I've switched it out every day since, but they've not gotten to the bottom as usual.

Now that they are back on their Fromm's P&P, they are drinking the water as usual, and it's only been a day. Is this strange? Does it have to do with the water weight in foods?

Thanks in advance for any comments or insight!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13366]YHSublime[/MENTION] People that feed their dogs raw, often say they do not drink as much water.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
True. Kibble will always make them drink more. It's dry, has more fillers. When on raw or even home cooked - they get more hydration from the meat :) totally normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
[MENTION=13366]YHSublime[/MENTION] People that feed their dogs raw, often say they do not drink as much water.

True. Kibble will always make them drink more. It's dry, has more fillers. When on raw or even home cooked - they get more hydration from the meat :) totally normal

I presumed as much, not concerned at all, just curious. Really makes me wish I could source cheaper materials for raw feeding.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I presumed as much, not concerned at all, just curious. Really makes me wish I could source cheaper materials for raw feeding.

It freaked me out the first time we went raw, I was so stressed thinking he was sick. They will also drink less on bland. Rice/Chicken. We feed Tyson The Honest Kitchen (one of their bases) and we add in our own protein. He drinks way less then when he was on kibble. But still drinks enough :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I agree - Castor was on raw for a while and he hardly drank anything. We often soak his kibble and he only drinks once or possibly twice a day but if we serve the kibble dry he will drink several times a day.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.