Yoghurt question

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
After Castor having had sort of loose stools all his life we finally realised that he does better on food with lower protein levels, so now he's on James Wellbeloved lamb and vegs and is doing fine apart from the fact that he is almost constipated...so I add a spoon or two of Greek yoghurt to his food. He loves it and his tummy seems to do well on this addition. It just struck me, though, that perhaps the fat contents is too high? It's 10%. As Castor is a really slim guy I'm not at all concerned about fat from a weight perspective but rather from a pure health perspective.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use plain Greek yogurt... Zero fat content

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use plain jane yogurt. Not greek. I am not a super save the planet eco freak by any means but the production process for greek yogurt creates 3 ounces of toxic waste for every 1 ounce of yogurt. Lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use plain jane yogurt. Not greek. I am not a super save the planet eco freak by any means but the production process for greek yogurt creates 3 ounces of toxic waste for every 1 ounce of yogurt. Lol

Really??? Why? :eek:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Really??? Why? :eek:
The production process creates a byproduct called acid whey which toxic and can't be released in to the environment. It has to be stored in a similar fashion as to how radioactive waste is stored.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:faint:

Won't be buying that anymore

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Eh. Never heard of this by product.
You can make "greek" yogurt at home. We in India make it all the time, and we call it "dahi" in Hindi or plain old curd.

Slowly heat milk and bring it to boil. Turn off heat and let it cool to lukewarm. Per liter of milk use 1 1/2 tbsp of greek or active yogurt as curdling agent.
Set with a lid on top and keep it in your oven overnight (for about 12 hours). Oven is not turned on; it is required to keep it warm.
Bacteria needs warmth to do its stuff. This is difficult in colder months than warmer months.

Once you have curd you have active culture. This may be reused in a cyclical manner (new curd made every 2 days or so) for about 2 months.

Cheers,
Raghu

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh on a lighter note. If you fail the first few times attempting to make curd at home don't worry.
Befriend an Indian or Pakistani and ask them how they make it at home.
We are everywhere in N. America, W. Europe, Australia and S. Africa :)

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for all your replies! In Sweden, we eat a lot of yoghurt and other soured dairy products, and I gave opted for the Greek version to Castor as it isn't as sour in taste as the kind that we humans in this household eat. I do wonder about the fat level, though, and what you say about the production, [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], makes me question my choice!
[MENTION=13485]raghu[/MENTION], I believe that is similar to the way people here used to make soured milk! Now the shops are full of these products so noone makes them at home anymore, I think. It's very common here to have soured milk or yoghurt with some kind of cereal for breakfast.

And I remember drinking lassi (I think that is the word?!) when I visited India many years ago. That was good!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Oh on a lighter note. If you fail the first few times attempting to make curd at home don't worry.
Befriend an Indian or Pakistani and ask them how they make it at home.
We are everywhere in N. America, W. Europe, Australia and S. Africa :)

Cheers,
Raghu
One of my best friends is from Mumbai. Him and his family have made some wonderful dishes for is over the years.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for all your replies! In Sweden, we eat a lot of yoghurt and other soured dairy products, and I gave opted for the Greek version to Castor as it isn't as sour in taste as the kind that we humans in this household eat. I do wonder about the fat level, though, and what you say about the production, @Marine91, makes me question my choice!
@raghu, I believe that is similar to the way people here used to make soured milk! Now the shops are full of these products so noone makes them at home anymore, I think. It's very common here to have soured milk or yoghurt with some kind of cereal for breakfast.

And I remember drinking lassi (I think that is the word?!) when I visited India many years ago. That was good!

All the way from Turkey to the sub-continent one form of curd/sour milk or the other is consumed.
In Turkey it is called ayran, in the persian region it is called doogh, in the sub-continent it is lassi.

Curd goes sour if it is left outside for more than 24 hours in hot weather.
Since you are in Sweden, warm weather curd-wise is 2 months a year :)
Anyways if you refrigerate within 24 hours, it arrests the bacteria from making it sour.
Active culture in this curd/yogurt is beneficial to humans and dogs for digestion.
If you feel it is fatty, water it down, use 2% fat milk or make buttermilk by whipping it and skimming of the fat.
This way the active culture (one form of pro-biotic) still remains and the fat is out.

My dogs love cold curd with mashed rice and boiled eggs. I give it to them once or twice a week or when they have tummy upsets.
Once in a while they have tummy upsets as the greedy dogs wolf down RMB or eat leaves and dirt.

As per your original concern of constipation, adding yogurt or a tsp coconut/olive oil helps.
Dogs need protein/calcium from animal sources; so don't skimp on this unless advised by a vet.

Cheers,
Raghu

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Fat is not bad for dogs, it's really the main source of their energy and 10% is not high in fat. It comes a problem with high amount of simple carbs.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This thread has taught me more about yogurt then I ever ever knew! :nice:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.