Help! .... Frequent stools and tear stains

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
So Bruno is 7 mos old and 42 pounds. We've been struggling to find a food that helps his tear stains and stools. We started with earthborn holistic (which his sister is on and does beautifully), then Zignature duck, and within the last 10days have switched to Fromm pork and peas. Through all of this he has been pooping on average 8-10 times per day. It is formed, but soft. Today is out of control. He has been awake 2 hrs and pooped 6 times. (This is not normal, so I just gave him pumpkin). Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Maybe keep him on a puppy food a little longer. He's still young and that's a lot of food changes in a short amount of time. Have you had his eyes checked for other tear stain causes?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How much are you feeding him? And are you doing a transition in between each switch? You need to allow time when switching foods, because their bellies are really sensitive. Also, You need to give him time on a food, (at least a month or two) before you see changes. You need to allow his body to completely rid of the old food, and work in the new before you see any improvement.

OP
MyStellaBully

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
He gets 1 cup twice daily. We have done slow transitions each time, and have given each food at least a 6-8wk trial. The vet said his eyes look good. No entropian

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He gets 1 cup twice daily. We have done slow transitions each time, and have given each food at least a 6-8wk trial. The vet said his eyes look good. No entropian

I would give him a little time on the Fromm, and consider adding in a probiotic. You can use Yogurt, or do it in pill form. We have been on Micro Flora for a while now, and I absolutely LOVE it!! In the past, I've done this yogurt too. Doesn't have to be these exactly but just to give you an idea. Another tip to try for the tear stains is filtered water. (if he currently gets tap water) that helped our stains tremendously!
Microflora.jpgGreek_NFplain_24oz_web.png

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would give him a little time on the Fromm, and consider adding in a probiotic. You can use Yogurt, or do it in pill form. We have been on Micro Flora for a while now, and I absolutely LOVE it!! In the past, I've done this yogurt too. Doesn't have to be these exactly but just to give you an idea. Another tip to try for the tear stains is filtered water. (if he currently gets tap water) that helped our stains tremendously!
View attachment 93966View attachment 93967

great advice..... I hope Stella starts to do better.... it could be the protein is too much for him. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above!

Tear stains at this age are extremely normal.... The skull is starting to form much larger and those big canine teeth are all growing in so teething is really strong at this age. Eye watering can be from biting down on toys if no entropion.

All the foods you are trying but maybe you can try adding nuvet plus because many people with tear stain problems have success adding that to their diet. Nuvet plus is such a high quality supplement in my opinion it should be a part of every bulldogs diet every day. It boosts the immune system and helps rid or prevent so many health issues! The testimonials part of their website is amazing. Here is the link: NuVet Labs – Home and the order code is 1101106.... It has a money back guarantee too

Also since you are full on pork and peas I'd suggest getting a small bag of s different food and start mixing a little in. So like 3/4 pork/peas and 1/4 another flavor. This will be to see if the stool improves at all. If it does maybe she doesn't tolerate peas. Most do well with pork but peas can be a problem for some bulldogs. We tried pork/peas a couple of times, not sure why I didn't love it exactly but I think it had to do with poop consistency or color.

So once you are on the Fromm gold line you are allowed to mix without worry as long as you stay in the gold line.

I get beef Fritatta and lamb and lentil, and I swing around with those two, maybe 1/2 and half, or beef for breakfast and lamb for dinner.

Hope this helps!!!

Maxthebulldog

Oct 15, 2015
Country
United States, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
[MENTION=9684]MyStellaBully[/MENTION] Any updates on Bruno? I have been struggling with tear stains also. Had bad experience with Blue Wilderness and Fromm Beef.
Max is currently on Acana Pacifica, seems to me his tear stains are worse but he has only been on it for a few days. I am now thinking about giving him supplements. He currently has joint supplements with dinner.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Lots of great advice here. Recap: go slow when switching, give enough time to allow system to settle in, consider allergy testing to find out what food items are allergic to (one of my dogs is allergic to pork & peas: look at how many dog foods have one or both in the ingredients), drinking water can be a cause of tear stains (adding ACV can help reduce), and finally what "treats" are you giving? Those have problems as well.

Keep calm, this too shall pass - hopefully firm? :poo:

Good Day~

Most Reactions