jacquik

Feb 1, 2013
Country
Cape Cod MA
Bulldog(s) Names
harley and caesar
So we have 2 3 year old bullies and decided to foster one that came up from a rescue in North Carolina in bad shape. 80 lbs ( vet says he has to lose at least 20 ) and obvious allergy yeast issues. His name was Jojo but we changed it to Mojo ( He needs to get his Mojo back! ) We've had him for 3 weeks and just got his allergy test back...he is allergic to beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, liver,pork, potatoes brewers yeast, milk. Vet said to switch him to salmon but I am having a hard time finding a seafood protein WITHOUT all the other stuff especially chicken and potatoes almost all the foods seem to have some kind of chicken meal or potato. Anyone know of an appropriate food for him? They are all on acana pork and butternut squash now but the pork has to go...one of my other dogs has allergy to dairy and would love to keep them all on the same food...

As a side note Mojo has started on Apoquel as is my other dog Caesar it works great. Vet also thinks he has enviromental allergies but since we are located in Massachusetts that could change for better or worse.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for giving him a new caring/loving home...... I am going to tag a few people that can help with food, but my first thought is to look into The Honest Kitchen and call their customer service line they are amazing at helping with this type of stuff and lead you on which of their products would help best.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So sorry mojo is having to go through this-allergies are awful :( I hope you guys find the right mix for him soon :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe try salmon a la veg by Fromm, it does have potato but it is further down the list and doesn't have any other of the ingredients.

Four-Star Dry Recipes for Dogs - Fromm Family Foods

That is just one I could think of off the top of my head closest to what you may be looking for. I trust fromm and would always recommend the best possible from their line above all others.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
So we have 2 3 year old bullies and decided to foster one that came up from a rescue in North Carolina in bad shape. 80 lbs ( vet says he has to lose at least 20 ) and obvious allergy yeast issues. His name was Jojo but we changed it to Mojo ( He needs to get his Mojo back! ) We've had him for 3 weeks and just got his allergy test back...he is allergic to beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, liver,pork, potatoes brewers yeast, milk. Vet said to switch him to salmon but I am having a hard time finding a seafood protein WITHOUT all the other stuff especially chicken and potatoes almost all the foods seem to have some kind of chicken meal or potato. Anyone know of an appropriate food for him? They are all on acana pork and butternut squash now but the pork has to go...one of my other dogs has allergy to dairy and would love to keep them all on the same food...

As a side note Mojo has started on Apoquel as is my other dog Caesar it works great. Vet also thinks he has enviromental allergies but since we are located in Massachusetts that could change for better or worse.

Maybe try zignature they have duck,kangaroo, and limited ingredient foods

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
You might want to check out Wellness CORE Grain Free Wild Game Adult Dog Food or they also have a Air dried Whitefish and salmon food.

We have Goob on Nature's Variety Instinct Boost Venison and Lamb. This does have turkey in it but I think they also have a limited ingredient version with Lamb and Peas.

Just as a warning...I have read on this forum for many members that their bullies don't tolerate lamb...just a caution. I really hope you find something that works for all your babies:)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How about Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear Singles? Would that work for him? I have Monty on it now and so far, so good :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How about Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear Singles? Would that work for him? I have Monty on it now and so far, so good :up:

This one looks like a GREAT choice, with none of the ingredients you mentioned in it! Plus Acana is just awesome too. :up:

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
our abbey has same problem although she can have beef,,, and lamb.. she also is on apoquel and it works way better then the shots she was on for a year.. I feed her earthborn holistic the meadow feast but she can have lamb.. I do know there is a coastal grain free but it may have potato .. my abbey can't have potato or sweet potato either.. I was feeding her this until I realized it had potato although it did not seem to hurt her but I did switch just in case.. good luck I hope you can find something that works and bless you for giving mojo a good home and caring to help him get better.. :up:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
[MENTION=8018]jacquik[/MENTION] I'm in Ma. also :hiii: ! So awesome you're fostering Mojo! Have you considered raw? There are a few companies that deliver all up and down the coast if you're not comfortable doing it on your own.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Acana is def a great kibble. If you want to stay on kibble try that in the Duck/Pear. However.... If he needs to lose weight Duck may not be the best because it's very rich. If he doesn't do well on kibble (like our Tyson) I would definitely look into The Honest Kitchen. We ended up there after we tried numerous kibbles. He's done wonderful on it. We do one their bases and add our own protein. It's great because you can control the protein! Keep us posted on his progress!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My dogs eat Orijen Six Fish. I don't know what other ingredients are in it, but they have done very well on it. I'll check the other ingredients if I can find an empty bag.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Acana is def a great kibble. If you want to stay on kibble try that in the Duck/Pear. However.... If he needs to lose weight Duck may not be the best because it's very rich. If he doesn't do well on kibble (like our Tyson) I would definitely look into The Honest Kitchen. We ended up there after we tried numerous kibbles. He's done wonderful on it. We do one their bases and add our own protein. It's great because you can control the protein! Keep us posted on his progress!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to agree with Jessica. The Honest Kitchen base mixes are awesome as you control the animal proteins that go in them. I had my Harlea on it for over a year and it worked wonders for her so I highly recommend it for pups that have all kinds of food allergies.

OP
jacquik

jacquik

Feb 1, 2013
Country
Cape Cod MA
Bulldog(s) Names
harley and caesar
Thanks for all your input! After much research I ordered Go! limited ingredient salmon....it has nothing in it that Mojo is allergic to...a miracle! Not even potatoes yay! I also found that Nutrisca salmon and chicpea as well as Natures Variety instinct salmon would work too. Mojo is allergic to every protein including lamb duck and even kangaroo! His allergies are some of the worse vet has seen. When they test the dog's blood for allergy levels each food item is given a number...my dog Caesar is allergic to dairy and his allergy level is 90..he is on allergy medication daily. Mojo's level to beef and chicken were 4000! And he was allergic to lots of other stuff too :( many of them in the 1000s....he is looking better but still has pink paws and neck and some hair loss. Hoping for a big turn around with the food switch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.