Thread: Calcium content in Puppy Food - At what % should you be concerned with??

Default Calcium content in Puppy Food - At what % should you be concerned with??

I have a question on the calcium content in puppy (kibble) dry food. After comparing the top brands below. I noticed that the Go! Fit + Free Grain-Free Chicken, Turkey & Trout Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food had 2.2% calcium as compare to the other brands that range from 1.2 - 1.5% range. Any concerns with this? I thought I had read somewhere that you should minimize the % of calcium but I could be totally wrong. Thanks for your help!

Nature's Variety® Instinct® Raw Boost Grain Free Large Breed Puppy Food
    Go! Fit + Free Grain-Free Chicken, Turkey & Trout Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
    Orijen Puppy Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
    Wellness Core Grain Free Puppy Formula
    Nature's Logic Canine Chicken Meal Feast Dry Dog Food
    Fromm Prairie Gold Large Breed Puppy*Gold*·*Dog*· Dry
    BLUE Freedom®Grain-Free Chicken RecipeFor Large Breed Puppies

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Calcium content in Puppy Food - At what % should you be concerned with??

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe this is more of a concern among giant breeds. Like Great Danes, Mastiffs etc. Because It's better for them to grow at a slower rate.

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Calcium content in Puppy Food - At what % should you be concerned with??

no concerns…from Canidae "The minimum requirement is 1.0% and the maximum is 2.5% for a dry product basis. Growth formulas average 1.6% with maintenance formulas around 1.4%."

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Michael Colosimo

Everyone had a different opinion on this.

I don't think the calcium is that big a deal provided it's within normal ranges. But I do believe that overfeeding leads to skeletal and joint issues with our bulldogs, so I chose to feed a large breed puppy formula (fromms considers adult weight of 50lbs and above large breed). It's just less calories with additional supplements.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by tyree213 View Post
    Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe this is more of a concern among giant breeds. Like Great Danes, Mastiffs etc. Because It's better for them to grow at a slower rate.
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your input!

Remove Ads