General Question Calcium content in Puppy Food - At what % should you be concerned with??

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
I have a question on the calcium content in puppy (kibble) dry food. After comparing the top brands below. I noticed that the Go! Fit + Free Grain-Free Chicken, Turkey & Trout Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food had 2.2% calcium as compare to the other brands that range from 1.2 - 1.5% range. Any concerns with this? I thought I had read somewhere that you should minimize the % of calcium but I could be totally wrong. Thanks for your help!

Nature's Variety® Instinct® Raw Boost Grain Free Large Breed Puppy Food
Go! Fit + Free Grain-Free Chicken, Turkey & Trout Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
Orijen Puppy Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness Core Grain Free Puppy Formula
Nature's Logic Canine Chicken Meal Feast Dry Dog Food
Fromm Prairie Gold Large Breed Puppy*Gold*·*Dog*· Dry
BLUE Freedom®Grain-Free Chicken RecipeFor Large Breed Puppies

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe this is more of a concern among giant breeds. Like Great Danes, Mastiffs etc. Because It's better for them to grow at a slower rate.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
no concerns…from Canidae "The minimum requirement is 1.0% and the maximum is 2.5% for a dry product basis. Growth formulas average 1.6% with maintenance formulas around 1.4%."

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@Michael Colosimo

Everyone had a different opinion on this.

I don't think the calcium is that big a deal provided it's within normal ranges. But I do believe that overfeeding leads to skeletal and joint issues with our bulldogs, so I chose to feed a large breed puppy formula (fromms considers adult weight of 50lbs and above large breed). It's just less calories with additional supplements.

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe this is more of a concern among giant breeds. Like Great Danes, Mastiffs etc. Because It's better for them to grow at a slower rate.

Thank you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your input! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.