Help Needed! Soft Stools won't stop

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hello all! This is my first post and I'm happy I can count on your support! =)

So BIG is my cute EB puppy. He's 15 weeks and since we got him (when he was 8 wks) he's been having soft stools.
Recently we went to the vet and he was checked - NO parasites or worms =)

This is his history of feeding:

8 wks - We got him home and fed NUTRO (same as breeder); soft and yellow stools;
10 wks - We tried Honest Kitchen (he would poop up to eight times a day and we could see all the veggies on his poop). Vet recommended putting him back on the kibble
10-12 wks - started the change from HK to Wellness Core. So he finally started to poop only after his feeding, but still soft stools.
Since 12 wks, we are mixing the Wellness Core with Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy. I know many people see it as junk food, but I read 5-star reviews all over. I also have a friend with a 12-year old EB that eats RC.

BIG still has soft stools. They have format, but are not firm at all. For treats we give him baby carrots, Bravo Beef treats or Fruitables Skinny Mini.

We also give him a probiotic once a day; we tried Pumpkin and greek yogurt also...

Any suggestions here? We still have a huge bag of Royal Canin at home and I'm concern to change his diet again now... your help is super appreciated!!! :D

PS - I read other posts here on food, including the TOP 5 and etc. IMG_0063.JPG

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could try adding some pumpkin to his food. Pure-not pie mix. It would also be good to give him probiotics and plain yogurt(tbsp.) to help the good flora in his system. When you do change foods, you need to do it gradually,and it's best to feed grain-free foods. Every dog is different and has different systems. The RC may be great for your friends dog-but may not be the best for yours. Many people here feed Fromm's. I feed Taste of the Wild/Salmon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Sounds like a LOT of food changes going on w/your little guy, he hasn't had time to adjust to the kibble… we recommend doing a very SLOW food change 1/4 cup every two or so days. You can add pure pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to firm things up a bit, you can add a tablespoon per feedings. Have you checked on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor to look at the ratings?!! I'm not familiar w/Royal Canin, I have feed my bullies Fromm's and I also used Earthborn Holistic for my boxer.

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hi! Thanks for your input! We tried pumpkin already. But I guess you're right - too many food changes in too little time... maybe we need to be patient and get him used to just one kibble. I heard very positive things about FROMM, just not sure if we should change again now...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi! Thanks for your input! We tried pumpkin already. But I guess you're right - too many food changes in too little time... maybe we need to be patient and get him used to just one kibble. I heard very positive things about FROMM, just not sure if we should change again now...

A lot of people on here use Fromm's, but honestly it's up to your budget and availability. I had to use PetFlow to have Fromm's delivered, but now I have a local pet store that carries it. I would give a food change a good 2 or 3 weeks unless he obviously is having a serious allergic reaction to it.

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Looks like we need to be more patient here and stick with one kibble for longer and see what happens....thanks a lot!=)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Give some time, a 4-6 wks. I had my first 2 Bulldogs on RC and they did horrible on it - tear stains, itchy paws, yeast issues and REALLY bad gas. I switch to Fromm (tried a few flavors before I got the one that worked) Grain Free Pork and Peas -- it all went away.

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Give some time, a 4-6 wks. I had my first 2 Bulldogs on RC and they did horrible on it - tear stains, itchy paws, yeast issues and REALLY bad gas. I switch to Fromm (tried a few flavors before I got the one that worked) Grain Free Pork and Peas -- it all went away.

Thanks a lot, BIG also has bad gas. About Fromm - what type do you recommend for a puppy? Large Breed Puppy or Praire Gold Puppy? Thanks!!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks a lot, BIG also has bad gas. About Fromm - what type do you recommend for a puppy? Large Breed Puppy or Praire Gold Puppy? Thanks!!! :)

I used Praire Gold 'red meat' for Lambeau -- I think it is also a pink bag -- he loved it and did real well on it. He is now on the Pork and Peas along with his Frenchie brother, Chelios

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Sounds good! We will give it a try and do a slow transition this time... see how it goes... thanks!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Fromm pink bag puppy food fantastic just make sure to give them the recommended amount when they eat to much the stool stays soft so right food, right amount then start adding extras like carrots, liver treats and read up on coconut and vinegar an important read.
Enjoy puppy hood it goes by so quickly so grab lots of pics save a tooth - dreaded shark phase also covered in this forum and love each other fiercely :yes:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it…but are you feeding two times or three times a day?

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Thanks for your tips! Just got a bag of Fromm and will start the transition - I will also read on apple vinegar and coconut =)

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hi, Laurie, we are feeding him 3 times a day, half cup each. Our vet recommended 3 times a day until he's 6 months old (he is 15 weeks now). Tks!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Good luck w/Fromm. Fingers crossed Big takes to it and it works for you!! Such a battle finding the right food!! What a cutie-pah-tootie he is:yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online