lauragriffin00

Nov 22, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailee
Hello all,

I am new to the EBN website, and officially a new English Bulldog owner. I will be getting my puppy on December 1st (she will be 8 weeks old), and she is currently eating Diamond Puppy. I was hoping to get some advice from you experienced bully owners in getting her on the best food for her. I am looking at Candidae all life stages, Blue Buffalo, TOFW or Earthborn Holistics. Are there any of these that you WOULDN'T recommend? Which brand do you prefer, and in that brand, what is best type for a young puppy in your opinion? I also have yorkies, so I would like to be able to pick a food that they could be switched too, as well. Thank you for your advice, in advance! -Laura

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi laura and Bailee!
How exciting!! Some great folks will be along to help and welcome you…not so sure about the Diamond…I have not tried it myself and wasn't too crazy about what I read so far. Candidae, TOTW and Earthborn - all good foods, but all a trial/error process…there are a few newbies on here w/the same questions as to starting off a new puppy and what to feed. I do believe @punky has yorkies also
You're in a great place!! So excited for you and your new bullie, can't wait to see pics!

:welcome3:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Congratulations on your soon-to-be new addition! I can't wait to see pictures of your new bullie puppy. And welcome to EBN! Great question - food is definitely important for English bulldogs with their allergies. All those that you are considering are good foods. We had a negative experience with Blue Buffalo and there was a recall associated with it but that was several years ago. I know other members feed Blue Buffalo with success. Like Laurie said, finding the right food for your bulldog is often trial and error because they can be allergic to many things and you won't really know until you try. All brands will typically have a puppy food that contains good nutrients for a growing dog.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Fromm's for my Walter, but I have used Earthborn Holistic for my boxer in the past and it is a great food. We recommend that you visit Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and check out their food ratings. Each dog is different, some have allergies, and some just don't like certain brands. It also depends on your budget, some of the higher rated foods can be extremely expensive… Good luck w/your new baby!!!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
it can be difficult when you have multiple dogs with different issues with food. I too wanted a dog food that I could feed all the dogs instead of different ones for each dog.. I have one bulldog with food allergies.. I had her on natural balance limited ingredient because there are some many things she can't have.. Lamb and rice are pretty much it.. then I got my rescue dog Rocky, also a bulldog, although he don't have allergies I figured out he can't have rice because it makes his tear stains really bad.. so I finally found one that seems to be fine with both of them and they all seem to like it.. it is the earthborn holistic .. my other two bulldog are fine with it and the yorkies eat it also. they are just nibblers I call it... my husband does feed them(yorkies) a small can of soft food a day and they nibble on the dry thru out the day.. It wasn't easy but what helped me was knowing exactly what she could and couldn't have and getting some advice from someone here about my rockys tear stains was such a relief.. I knew it had to be the food because he had absolutely no stains when I got him and he was just eating dog chow.. I did not want to put him back on that food and I took advice and got away from the rice.. his face is almost back completely to all white and he is doing great.. so I hope you can find one that works for all because I know how hard it is to keep food separated.. good luck..

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Welcome to EBN!!! I've had my puppy Murray since he was nine weeks and he eats taste of the wild puppy and we haven't had any issues! Thought I had an issue at one point but as it turned out it was just because he swallowed a chicken wing bone :( but he's totally fine now!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hello all,

I am new to the EBN website, and officially a new English Bulldog owner. I will be getting my puppy on December 1st (she will be 8 weeks old), and she is currently eating Diamond Puppy. I was hoping to get some advice from you experienced bully owners in getting her on the best food for her. I am looking at Candidae all life stages, Blue Buffalo, TOFW or Earthborn Holistics. Are there any of these that you WOULDN'T recommend? Which brand do you prefer, and in that brand, what is best type for a young puppy in your opinion? I also have yorkies, so I would like to be able to pick a food that they could be switched too, as well. Thank you for your advice, in advance! -Laura
oops, forgot to add…grab a can of pumpkin during the food switch, it'll help during the transition. (This has been a big help here)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
My Canelo has severe allergies and right now I have him on Zingnature salmon, no grains. I have two pugs as well that do not have the allergies like Canelo. We joke about Canelo being silk, lol. I feed Canelo separately from the pugs, specific to his food. It took me three years to find him a food he didn't react to. My point, get your baby on a good food and monitor daily. Fromm's is another great food. Unfortunately Canelo didn't do so well on it, he's so sensitive, Mr. Silk, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

We feed Fromm... started with Prairie Gold Puppy Red Meat version and then at 8 mths moved to Fromm Pork and Peas, the brand you mention are all very good foods and many have success with Earthborn and Taste of the Wild

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Welcome, Laura! And congrats on your new addition! You've already gotten some good advice. I'd check out Pet Food Advisor. The editors really know their foods. I can't wait to see photos!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.