Help Needed! New English Bulldog Puppy 8Weeks old!! Wanting to Change to a higher quality food.

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Hi i am new to this forum, Broly an 8 week English Bulldog has just joined our family. We want the best for him and the breeder was feeding them Blue Buffalo puppy formula. I don't see that as a high quality food and his stools have never been really solid they range from runny to kind of solid. So we think we need to change his food. I have tried to research for the best option for our little bulldog, but there is just so many options out there. I wanted to get the input from this community of bulldog owners on what is the best for puppies. Ive narrowed down to Fromm 4 Star(but they don't have a puppy formula for 4 star), Orijen large puppy breed, or Taste of The Wild puppy, and have been told that Diamond Naturals large puppy breed is good as well. I have read really good stuff about Fromm 4 star and am leaning towards it, but they don't have a 4 star formula for puppies, it is all life stages will it be safe for puppies? Has anyone fed 4 Star to their puppies with success? Or is the Fromm puppy(which is below the 4 star) as high quality as the 4 Star? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

Michael

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I responded to your other post..... this is what I used for Lambeau during the puppy months, and then switched to Pork and Peas. Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

Orjen and taste of the Wild are both also great foods and many here feed them with great results.... keep in mind food with a Bulldog can be a long road of trial and error until you find the right one. What works for one may not be best for another.

Try to avoid grains and chicken as both tend to cause allergy issue (not for all, but a very high percentage)
Good luck!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
When I got Winnie at 8 weeks, I immediately switched (gradually of course) to Orijen puppy food. She did great on it. I added a probiotic to her morning feeding for loose stools. At 7 months, I switched her to Origen Six Fish, and that's what she still eats. We've never had any health issues with her, which could just be the luck of the draw, but she's done so well I've never even considered changing her food. No skinn problems, no allergies, no yeast issues. She's a year and a half now and a slim muscular girl at 45 lbs. I feed it to my other dogs too (not Bulldogs) and they don't have any health issues either.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
When I got Winnie at 8 weeks, I immediately switched (gradually of course) to Orijen puppy food. She did great on it. I added a probiotic to her morning feeding for loose stools. At 7 months, I switched her to Origen Six Fish, and that's what she still eats. We've never had any health issues with her, which could just be the luck of the draw, but she's done so well I've never even considered changing her food. No skinn problems, no allergies, no yeast issues. She's a year and a half now and a slim muscular girl at 45 lbs. I feed it to my other dogs too (not Bulldogs) and they don't have any health issues either.

Great thank you so much for your input, with Orijen Puppy did you use the large breed puppy formula?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I love orijen food, it's what I originally had Henry on. I changed out of circumstances, not from dissatisfaction of the food. The only thing that I would mention is that the puppy food all has chicken so we opted for the 6 fish adult food instead. That may have changed by now, I'm not certain.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly

Its good to hear that your little one hasn't had any problems with food! I have heard that with Orijen puppy food the amount of protein for a growing bulldog puppy is to high. Did you run into any of those problems? or have heard anything on that subject?
Thank you for all your input!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Its good to hear that your little one hasn't had any problems with food! I have heard that with Orijen puppy food the amount of protein for a growing bulldog puppy is to high. Did you run into any of those problems? or have heard anything on that subject?
Thank you for all your input!

I think I have "heard" that mentioned before, but nothing to back it up. I don't know what kind of problems too much protein would cause, but Winnie hasn't had a single health problem (unless you count eating something she shouldn't have eaten causing a trip to the vet!). Oh, she did have Demodex mange when she was 4 or 5 months, but with meds it was cleared up in a month. That's literally the only health issue she's had. Posting a pic of Winnie:
image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I think I have "heard" that mentioned before, but nothing to back it up. I don't know what kind of problems too much protein would cause, but Winnie hasn't had a single health problem (unless you count eating something she shouldn't have eaten causing a trip to the vet!). Oh, she did have Demodex mange when she was 4 or 5 months, but with meds it was cleared up in a month. That's literally the only health issue she's had. Posting a pic of Winnie:
View attachment 93483 View attachment 93484 View attachment 93485

I also "heard" this when Bass was a puppy. I was also told by a woman at the pet store that a higher protein content can cause aggressiveness…I asked Lisa about this, because I had not read about it before.
I have not found anything about the quality foods listed on here causing a problem w/protein content(in puppies)…I believe the concern is because this breed is not as active as others…but as puppies they are quite active (when they are awake). I would still do the food you researched and got advice on here…the only other advice is to keep up w/the regular blood work/urine samples at your vets (that should help clear concerns w/protein issues).

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I also "heard" this when Bass was a puppy. I was also told by a woman at the pet store that a higher protein content can cause aggressiveness…I asked Lisa about this, because I had not read about it before.
I have not found anything about the quality foods listed on here causing a problem w/protein content(in puppies)…I believe the concern is because this breed is not as active as others…but as puppies they are quite active (when they are awake). I would still do the food you researched and got advice on here…the only other advice is to keep up w/the regular blood work/urine samples at your vets (that should help clear concerns w/protein issues).

Ah ha! Maybe the high protein Orijen was the cause of Winnie's constant biting and scratching us until she was five months old. I knew there was a reason. Just kidding, of course, we know that was the shark phase. Now, however, she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body (hard to believe when I remember what a holy terror she was). Anyway, her food has not caused aggression in Winnie.

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
View attachment 93483 View attachment 93484 View attachment 93485

Wow your Winnie looks amazing & healthy, especially that coat! Thank you for sharing.:)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks! Much as I would like to think that Orijen has made her so healthy, I think luck had and has a lot to do with getting a healthy bulldog. I've had three bullies before Winnie, and all three of them were very healthy (except 2 had cherry eye). I fed them Iams, when I thought that was a really good food! Go figure! Well, I'm glad I'm better informed now.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks! Much as I would like to think that Orijen has made her so healthy, I think luck had and has a lot to do with getting a healthy bulldog. I've had three bullies before Winnie, and all three of them were very healthy (except 2 had cherry eye). I fed them Iams, when I thought that was a really good food! Go figure! Well, I'm glad I'm better informed now.
Did they all have the same breeder?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.