Fromms food (Switching flavor) and diet issues

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
From Fromm's to Earthborn Holistic. Brett's tear stains got worst because of Fromm Lamb and Lentils. Heard good things about Earthborn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
From Fromm's to Earthborn Holistic. Brett's tear stains got worst because of Fromm Lamb and Lentils. Heard good things about Earthborn

Yeah? Like I said, it seems to be the season change, so hopefully we won't have to worry much longer. Unusually warm fall though in DC/NOVA area.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yeah? Like I said, it seems to be the season change, so hopefully we won't have to worry much longer. Unusually warm fall though in DC/NOVA area.
Here too and I am LOVING it! It feels like early summer but looks like full fledged fall! Allergies should just not exist, they take the fun out of the seasons! :down:

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Just an update, the yogurt has seemed to yield instant results. My new guy, Thor, absolutely goes bonkers for it. He actually whimpers while I prepare breakfast with anticipation. I've also got some fresh strawberries that I've cut up (just one or two a morning) and they enjoy that as well. I have also mixed a bit of coconut oil in daily with the yogurt.

I also picked up some medicated wipes from my vet, and some cream that helps with the tear stains after Taco's been real bad. I enjoy cleaning him up, wrinkles and ears, as he acts like it's a day at the spa, and mumbles delightedly. Thor... well, I have to catch him and hold him down!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Just an update, the yogurt has seemed to yield instant results. My new guy, Thor, absolutely goes bonkers for it. He actually whimpers while I prepare breakfast with anticipation. I've also got some fresh strawberries that I've cut up (just one or two a morning) and they enjoy that as well. I have also mixed a bit of coconut oil in daily with the yogurt.

I also picked up some medicated wipes from my vet, and some cream that helps with the tear stains after Taco's been real bad. I enjoy cleaning him up, wrinkles and ears, as he acts like it's a day at the spa, and mumbles delightedly. Thor... well, I have to catch him and hold him down!

I think that the weather in Northern VA is tearing our guys up! Curly has been very paw-licking lately and his tear staining has been a bit out of control for the last few weeks. I heard on the news that the mold spore counts were higher than normal (whatever that means!)

Strangely enough, we also tried to do the old flavor switch-a-roo recently and went from P&P to lamb and lentil. The dogs really liked the new flavor but curly's entire face broke out so we went back to P&P and decided not to mess around with their food again Hahah.

Glad to hear your guys are doing better!

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I think that the weather in Northern VA is tearing our guys up! Curly has been very paw-licking lately and his tear staining has been a bit out of control for the last few weeks. I heard on the news that the mold spore counts were higher than normal (whatever that means!)

Strangely enough, we also tried to do the old flavor switch-a-roo recently and went from P&P to lamb and lentil. The dogs really liked the new flavor but curly's entire face broke out so we went back to P&P and decided not to mess around with their food again Hahah.

Glad to hear your guys are doing better!

Glad it's not just me! The I think the yogurt has been the main thing, but it's hard to tell. The cream i got really helps heal up the areas around the eyes, but we have started clueing x2 a day. I changed so many things all at once, it's hard to pinpoint success. One things for sure, the boys are eating better than me it looks like with their Fromms kibbles, a spoonful of plain greek yogurt, and a cut strawberry to garnish, lol. In the evening I've started adding less than a teaspoon of coconut oil in with their kibbles.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Sounds like they are eating like kings!

I need to try the coconut oil. They all like coconut oil I just forget to incorporate it into my routine

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Man, I'm glad I read this thread. I'm in Northern VA, too, and a month ago, Bella got this weird ear itchy/blotchy/blistery thing. Initially, the vet said it was an infection. They gave meds, it got worse. Finally, they did a swab and said it was yeast! They gave her the appropriate meds, and her ear looks much better, thankfully.

I recently switched Bella from that horrid Lamb and Lentil to Salmon Tunalini, and I started giving her yogurt everyday. On L&L, her tear stains were horrible. Now, on ST, she has the face of a baby bulldog. :D

She obsessively licks her paws, maybe a little less now, but still frequently. I wonder if this irritation (ears, paws) is because of local seasons. I'm so scared to try a different Fromms because of how poorly she looked on L&L. I think I'll stick with ST, and hope the yogurt helps her.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Man, I'm glad I read this thread. I'm in Northern VA, too, and a month ago, Bella got this weird ear itchy/blotchy/blistery thing. Initially, the vet said it was an infection. They gave meds, it got worse. Finally, they did a swab and said it was yeast! They gave her the appropriate meds, and her ear looks much better, thankfully.

I recently switched Bella from that horrid Lamb and Lentil to Salmon Tunalini, and I started giving her yogurt everyday. On L&L, her tear stains were horrible. Now, on ST, she has the face of a baby bulldog. :D

She obsessively licks her paws, maybe a little less now, but still frequently. I wonder if this irritation (ears, paws) is because of local seasons. I'm so scared to try a different Fromms because of how poorly she looked on L&L. I think I'll stick with ST, and hope the yogurt helps her.

It's been night and day for me. Plus the boys just LOVE the yogurt, usually they are not excited about meal time, now they droooool with anticipation.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It's been night and day for me. Plus the boys just LOVE the yogurt, usually they are not excited about meal time, now they droooool with anticipation.

Great to know! Thank you!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You know what, guys? Something is telling me to switch her food again. I noticed a small red blotch in Bella's other ear (the good ear!) And, like I said, she still licks her paws sometimes. She gets yogurt every day, and she's on yeast medication for her ears.

I think it could be the potato in Salmon Tunalini? Maybe? I'm thinking it's worth a try. The switch from Lamb & Lentil to Salmon Tunalini was great for her tear stains, but I'm wondering if it's still messing with her allergies. I think it's worth a try. I'm just wondering if I should get a small bag or a big bag.

Also, what can I do with the remaining Lamb and Lentil and Salmon Tunalini? Would I be able to donate lose/open (good quality!) kibble? I'm collecting kibble! :ohmy:
@2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You know what, guys? Something is telling me to switch her food again. I noticed a small red blotch in Bella's other ear (the good ear!) And, like I said, she still licks her paws sometimes. She gets yogurt every day, and she's on yeast medication for her ears.

I think it could be the potato in Salmon Tunalini? Maybe? I'm thinking it's worth a try. The switch from Lamb & Lentil to Salmon Tunalini was great for her tear stains, but I'm wondering if it's still messing with her allergies. I think it's worth a try. I'm just wondering if I should get a small bag or a big bag.

Also, what can I do with the remaining Lamb and Lentil and Salmon Tunalini? Would I be able to donate lose/open (good quality!) kibble? I'm collecting kibble! :ohmy:
@2BullyMama

Small bag..... I am testing out the brand new flavor with rabbit/duck. Have you tried Pork n Peas or Game Bird? As for the unused food.... not sure if a shelter will take it call and ask them, but I THINK the store will take them back [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION].... is that right, Fromm has something set up with the retailers?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Small bag..... I am testing out the brand new flavor with rabbit/duck. Have you tried Pork n Peas or Game Bird? As for the unused food.... not sure if a shelter will take it call and ask them, but I THINK the store will take them back @bullmama.... is that right, Fromm has something set up with the retailers?

Thanks! I ordered a small bag of Pork & Peas. I get her Fromms from Chewy.com. I'll check with the shelter, too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! I ordered a small bag of Pork & Peas. I get her Fromms from Chewy.com. I'll check with the shelter, too.

email/call Chewy.... worst they will say is no

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

@2BullyMama

if you bought it online (ie Chewy.com) , they should give you credit if you inform them that the food did not mesh with your dog and he/she is having allergic reaction. I did that one time and they gave me credit. I asked if I should mail the leftover food and the rep told me to donate it to the shelter. Understandably, the shelter will not accept open containers for potential contamination issues. I do understand but it is a shame wasting perfectly good food and perhaps have a much higher quality than what they feed the animals (purina). They did tell me to bring it however and put it in a section where the homeless dogowners will come pick up the dog food.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.