Staninator

Nov 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm coming with a question about my new 8 week old puppy. We purchased her from a pet store, which isn't always the best choice, but I'm glad it happened because we saved her life. We got her a week ago and the first night we brought her home, she was experience violent diarrhea and we had to take her to the ER. We ran tests and poor Harley had coccidia... It's now a week and a thousand dollars later that she is feeling a lot better. If we hadn't saved her, God knows what would have happened to her if we left her at that store...

We finished off 2 of her 4 medications, has a lot of energy and is doing well with potty training :) when she was hospitalized, the vet was feeding her Prescription Diet I/d. This helped her have shape to her stool but it's pretty much soft serve all the time. I've begun to introduce Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy (Rocky Mountain) since last Friday by adding a tablespoon to her food. We feed her 3 times a day with 2 tablespoons of Prescription Diet and 1 tablespoon of Wilderness. Yesterday morning and early afternoon alongside the day before, she was having very nice stool, on the solid side but later in the afternoon, its become soft-serve again... Originally the store sent me home with ProPlan. I don't think I'll be feeding her that!

I've been reading about various foods on here and have thought about Orijen, Acana, ToTW, Fromm but I'm not sure what to do. I just want her to feel good and to have nice poops. I don't know if I should be keeping her on Wilderness or try something else? Is it too soon to try something else? What advice can you guys give me. I feel that the vet will just tell me Science Diet junk.

Thanks so much in advance!

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
The breeder I got my bullies from was feeding Costco brand so I switched them TOTW. But Brett didn't do to well on that so I switched to Fromm Beef Fritata and they liked it a lot. Stuck with that brand for awhile then I switched flavor to pork and peas to Fromm lamb and lentils and his tear stains got worst. But Fromm is definitely one of the best brand I've used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Also I would give them tablespoon of nonfat Greek yogurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I give my guys a probiotic on their morning meal and a tablespoon of plain non-fat Greek yougurt on the evening meal. I started the probiotic when Winnie was a puppy and had loose stools. It seemed to correct the problem. I've been feeding Orijen to Winnie since she was a puppy and have never had any issues with the food, and she has been very healthy so far. Good luck with your new baby and post some pictures! Welcome to EBN!

OP
S

Staninator

Nov 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thanks for the responses! Right now she's on probiocin in the mornings until the tube is gone. I'm really thinking about adding yogurt to her meals. I hope she's not lactose intolerant! You think I should keep her on wilderness for a bit longer until the full transition before trying another food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the responses! Right now she's on probiocin in the mornings until the tube is gone. I'm really thinking about adding yogurt to her meals. I hope she's not lactose intolerant! You think I should keep her on wilderness for a bit longer until the full transition before trying another food?

:welcome3: to EBN!

If you are wanting to transition off of the Hills /Wilderness.... I would not do it now, get her system settled and then plan to make a change later. Doing too much now will just continue to add belly upsets -- yogurt is a good idea, like a teaspoon,

OP
S

Staninator

Nov 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
:welcome3: to EBN!

If you are wanting to transition off of the Hills /Wilderness.... I would not do it now, get her system settled and then plan to make a change later. Doing too much now will just continue to add belly upsets -- yogurt is a good idea, like a teaspoon,

Thanks so much! I'll add a teaspoon to each of her meals and hope it works out for the best :) the calcium will probably help out a bit too. I'll report back to update on how she's doing :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.