Raw feeding

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I know ive probably asked this before so im sorry if I have but ive starting using a new butchers and found out yesterday that they do mince meat for dogs and sell alot of it so my question is how much should I give him and what veg is best to go with it? Im thinking of kibble with a boiled egg in a morning and raw meat and veg in an evening. Thanks

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Leafy greens are the best and if you want to the most out of them you should pure and freeze the veggies. If you're also feeding kibble I have no idea of the amount to feed. Less veggies and more meat anyways. Adjust it according to the dog. If he's getting heavier, feed less and if too thin, feed more. I feed only raw, my boys weight is about 64lbs and they get about 1,4lbs different meats and 2,8oz pureed veggies or sauerkraut per day. Some people don't give veggies at all.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Minced meat with bone/organs (don't forget this) - 2 to 3% of ideal adult body weight daily (meat/bone/organs in roughly 80/10/10 ratio)
Veggies and fruits - carrot, spinach, zucchini, cucumber to name a few; banana, papaya, watermelon, orange to name a few (small quantities)
Veggies are better if they are pureed or mashed up.
Dairy - avoidable (only exception is a spoon of active yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese - warning EBs are notorious fart factories)
Kibble - as per instructions

Don't mix kibble and meat/eggs in the same meal. If possible and practical, ditch the kibble entirely.
Meat and eggs digest more quickly than kibble (which is mostly grain); you do not want blockage.

Regards,
Raghu

If interested, read further
Simple explanation of food for 2 animals (human and dogs)
Purpose of food - to eat, process and convert into energy for daily activity and some storage as fat reserve.

Humans do well on carbs/meat/dairy diet because:
- we can break down complex sugars in carbs into simple sugars for energy production
- we can absorb energy from protein sources too. Protein is also required for maintaining a healthy balance of enzymes in the body
- we get our calcium from milk too (calcium phosphate good for bone building)
- meat/dairy also has fat (very essential for humans in correct quantities)
Do we need veggies and fruits? Yes for:
- Vitamins (humans can synthesize only Vitamin D in sufficient quantity; everything else we need to get from food)
- minerals (no we cannot synthesize them, it comes from the earth)
Plant products absorb minerals from the soil and store them for us animals to consume and flourish. They also synthesize vitamins.

Let's cross over to dogs now. Dogs are carnivores. Until domestication they were obligate carnivores. Now they can tolerate some selected plant matter.
How do dogs get their energy supply and fat?
Meat protein - They cannot break down carbs (complex sugars) into simple sugars. Their bodies are built to extract enormous amounts of energy from meat protein
How do dogs get their minerals (ex. iron, phosphorus and calcium)
Meat and bone from other animals
How do dogs get vitamins?
You will be surprised. They are much more capable of synthesizing vitamins from guess what .... Meat and bone
They also absorb vitamins from various organs of their natural food (other animals).
Do dogs need fruit and veggies?
Yes, in small quantities (sometimes pureed or mashed); Why? they make up for any lack of trace minerals/vitamins that may be missing in meat/bone/organ diet

The other animals have done the job of eating plants and storing protein, minerals and vitamins in their bodies.
Dogs are higher in the food chain and should enjoy these benefits :)

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Leafy greens are the best and if you want to the most out of them you should pure and freeze the veggies. If you're also feeding kibble I have no idea of the amount to feed. Less veggies and more meat anyways. Adjust it according to the dog. If he's getting heavier, feed less and if too thin, feed more. I feed only raw, my boys weight is about 64lbs and they get about 1,4lbs different meats and 2,8oz pureed veggies or sauerkraut per day. Some people don't give veggies at all.

Thanks, what do you feed in the morning then, meat?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't feed kibble at all. I make a mixture of different meats, tripe and veggies and devide it in two portions. The mix is for two days and then I make a different one. I also add eggs, gizzards and organs for my other guy, the other one doesn't eat organs. I also add kelp, different oils, clugosamine, MSM and vitamis to their mix.

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Minced meat with bone/organs (don't forget this) - 2 to 3% of ideal adult body weight daily (meat/bone/organs in roughly 80/10/10 ratio)
Veggies and fruits - carrot, spinach, zucchini, cucumber to name a few; banana, papaya, watermelon, orange to name a few (small quantities)
Veggies are better if they are pureed or mashed up.
Dairy - avoidable (only exception is a spoon of active yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese - warning EBs are notorious fart factories)
Kibble - as per instructions

Don't mix kibble and meat/eggs in the same meal. If possible and practical, ditch the kibble entirely.
Meat and eggs digest more quickly than kibble (which is mostly grain); you do not want blockage.

Regards,
Raghu

If interested, read further
Simple explanation of food for 2 animals (human and dogs)
Purpose of food - to eat, process and convert into energy for daily activity and some storage as fat reserve.

Humans do well on carbs/meat/dairy diet because:
- we can break down complex sugars in carbs into simple sugars for energy production
- we can absorb energy from protein sources too. Protein is also required for maintaining a healthy balance of enzymes in the body
- we get our calcium from milk too (calcium phosphate good for bone building)
- meat/dairy also has fat (very essential for humans in correct quantities)
Do we need veggies and fruits? Yes for:
- Vitamins (humans can synthesize only Vitamin D in sufficient quantity; everything else we need to get from food)
- minerals (no we cannot synthesize them, it comes from the earth)
Plant products absorb minerals from the soil and store them for us animals to consume and flourish. They also synthesize vitamins.

Let's cross over to dogs now. Dogs are carnivores. Until domestication they were obligate carnivores. Now they can tolerate some selected plant matter.
How do dogs get their energy supply and fat?
Meat protein - They cannot break down carbs (complex sugars) into simple sugars. Their bodies are built to extract enormous amounts of energy from meat protein
How do dogs get their minerals (ex. iron, phosphorus and calcium)
Meat and bone from other animals
How do dogs get vitamins?
You will be surprised. They are much more capable of synthesizing vitamins from guess what .... Meat and bone
They also absorb vitamins from various organs of their natural food (other animals).
Do dogs need fruit and veggies?
Yes, in small quantities (sometimes pureed or mashed); Why? they make up for any lack of trace minerals/vitamins that may be missing in meat/bone/organ diet

The other animals have done the job of eating plants and storing protein, minerals and vitamins in their bodies.
Dogs are higher in the food chain and should enjoy these benefits :)

Thanks for your reply, very interesting

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Thanks. Bruce is just over 27kg at 10 months. He's got about 2 days left of kibble then I'll swap him over to raw, thanks for the advice

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online