bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
Hello all, my wife and I just bought our first english bulldog named Pede. We got him when he was 10 months old and his birthday falls on Thanksgiving Day. I am also new to the board and have found some very helpful information on here. Before I ask my question I do want to clarify that we just brought him home about a week and half ago 10/12/15 so it could be nerves as well. We crate him when we are at work and at bed time, he never cries in his crate and seems very happy in there.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, our dog goes out to potty and does his thing. He will pee and poop, his first poop is a solid poop but i then have to keep him out longer because he will immediately go again but this time the stool is really moist and not normal i do not believe. There is no blood or any weird discoloration, so it got me thinking does he have some internal digestive problem or could it be the food. We feed him Nature's Domain (Chicken & Pea organic) and was curious to know if anyone could give me some ideas of what to do. Is it the food or possible digestive thing?

Thank you for the time and we will appreciate any help.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
We had the same problem with the boys. Switched their food to Fromm Puppy in the pink bag. Two days later all good.

OP
B

bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
Okay, thank you so much for your help!!!

I just took him outside again and he had diarrhea, i feel bad for the poor boy :(

OP
B

bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
1 1/2 cups (2 times a day)

OP
B

bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
I think he is not feeling well and has an upset tummy. I feel bad because I do not know how to help my buddy :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi and Welcome to you and Pede. A puppy can have diarrhea for many reasons, food, nerves, parasites, virus, or swallowing a foreign object. Many bullies don't tolerate chicken, so it could be his food, many members use Fromms with great results. Have you read the Dogfood Ratings on the Homepage? The amount of food you are feeding is fine, but maybe he's getting too much food at each feeding. You mentioned that you feed him 1 and 1/2 cups twice a day, is it possible to feed him I cup 3 times a day, so he gets equal amounts throughout the day? He may also still be getting used to his new home and surroundings, and having diarrhea from nerves. Did you take him to the vet in the first few days after you brought him home? when I brought my puppies home, I got paperwork which stated the guarantee, and it said for it to be valid, I had to take them to a vet within 4 days to rule out congenital defects, heart problems, health issues, or illness. My vet checked their breathing, felt their limbs, listened to their hearts for murmurs, looked at their mouth, teeth, and eyes, and checked their skin for fleas. They also took a stool sample and checked them for parasites and worms.
You should take a stool sample to your vet to check for any viruses or parasites he may have picked up from the breeders home or from his litter mates. Also until he has his second set of vaccinations, be careful where you walk or let your puppy play because they can pick up illnesses and parasites from other dogs or wildlife that may have been in the area.
Just let him pee or poop in your own backyard, and if you go to a pet store like Petsmart, don't let him walk in the store, carry him, so he doesn't pick up something on the floors. And don't let him play with other dogs until he's had his second set of vaccinations.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You can give Pepcid. 10mg if you think his belly is upset or even a small dose of pepto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
Thank you so much for all your help. I will try to feed him 3 * daily and see how he responds. We bought Pede from a breeder before our honeymoon, she was kind enough to take him to get fixed and have a vet check up while we were gone. We got pet insurance through trupanion so I hope to use that soon for another check up when we are eligible to take advantage of it.

I will make the switch to Fromm dog food, should i do the adult or puppy since he is 11 months?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you so much for all your help. I will try to feed him 3 * daily and see how he responds. We bought Pede from a breeder before our honeymoon, she was kind enough to take him to get fixed and have a vet check up while we were gone. We got pet insurance through trupanion so I hope to use that soon for another check up when we are eligible to take advantage of it.

I will make the switch to Fromm dog food, should i do the adult or puppy since he is 11 months?

When switching brands of foods, it is best to do a slow transition over a week or two, to avoid tummy issues or diarrhea, start with 2/3 of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food for a few days, then mix 1/2 of the new food to 1/2 of the old food, for a few days, and then mix 2/3 of the new food to 1/3 of the old food for a few days, and then finally all new food.

It is best to feed a puppy formula until the age of 6 or 7 months, because puppy food provides the extra calories, vitamins, and minerals that a puppy needs to grow. It has everything they need, plus puppy kibble is usually smaller pieces than adult Dogfood, so it's easier for them to eat. You can switch him to adult kibble when he is 6 or 7 months old. Since you will be feeding him Fromms Puppy, you won't have to do a slow transition when switching him to the adult food, since all the Fromms foods are Interchangeable and suitable for all stages.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Go right to adult grain free food, but slow transition as [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] stated.

:welcome3: to EBN

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
You might also give him a probiotic on one meal a day. That helped us with loose stools. I give it to all my dogs every day. Welcome to EBN! You will LOVE having a bully!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The sure way to figure out whether you puppy has indigestion is the firmness of stool, color and smell.
Puppy stools can be semi solid sometimes because they are over straining while pooping or as I term it "double dealing".
If it does not smell bad and is not red or green then it is generally OK.
Smelly, mucous like and unusually colored stools are a serious thing and usually need vet intervention.

Probiotics help. I usually use greek yogurt or active culture yogurt. We call it curd in India and we make it every day for human consumption.
Water it down and feed after a meal if you are feeding dry kibble.
My EB is on raw so I can give curd anytime during the day.

Another way to firm up stool is powdered raw-dried egg shells. Use a rolling pin to crush and finely powder 1 or 2 eggshells and add to food.
Does nothing in terms of nutrition as eggshells are calcium carbonate. Dogs cannot absorb calcium in this form.

Hope you find the root cause and solution quickly.

OP
B

bmohl123

Oct 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pede
So we changed his dog food to Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula for adult. It has Chicken and brown rice as recipe, he is having some serious diarrhea and his butt has been really stinky. We noticed he had a tapeworm the other day so we got him some over the counter medicine. I am taking him in to get his anal glands expressed but wondering if there are any more ideas for the diarrhea. Our Insurance for him does not become active until November 15th so we want to hold off and I fee so bad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he has worms you have to get to the vet fir the right meds.... Nothing else will help

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online