Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So we changed his dog food to Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula for adult. It has Chicken and brown rice as recipe, he is having some serious diarrhea and his butt has been really stinky. We noticed he had a tapeworm the other day so we got him some over the counter medicine. I am taking him in to get his anal glands expressed but wondering if there are any more ideas for the diarrhea. Our Insurance for him does not become active until November 15th so we want to hold off and I fee so bad.

Hi, I agree with Christine regarding seeing a vet for the tapeworm, he needs vet for the proper medication to clear it up, and I would also have him check a stool sample to see if he has any other worms or parasites that could be causing the diarrhea. Also you mentioned you switched Pede to Blue Buffalo, which is a chicken based kibble. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, so it may also be the protein that is causing his diarrhea.

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
When switching brands of foods, it is best to do a slow transition over a week or two, to avoid tummy issues or diarrhea, start with 2/3 of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food for a few days, then mix 1/2 of the new food to 1/2 of the old food, for a few days, and then mix 2/3 of the new food to 1/3 of the old food for a few days, and then finally all new food.

It is best to feed a puppy formula until the age of 6 or 7 months, because puppy food provides the extra calories, vitamins, and minerals that a puppy needs to grow. It has everything they need, plus puppy kibble is usually smaller pieces than adult Dogfood, so it's easier for them to eat. You can switch him to adult kibble when he is 6 or 7 months old. Since you will be feeding him Fromms Puppy, you won't have to do a slow transition when switching him to the adult food, since all the Fromms foods are Interchangeable and suitable for all stages.

hi I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct way to ask a question directly. But i am in the process of changing my 8 week english bulldogs food, and i am considering Fromms 4 star. But the 4 star line does not have a puppy formula only the Fromms Gold. From what i read the 4 star is much better quality than the gold, will it be ok if i start him on the 4 star instead of the the puppy formula? I've read that puppies need the puppy formula until 12-14 months. i wanted to ask you directly since it looked like you have used Fromms.

Thank you
michael

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hi I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct way to ask a question directly. But i am in the process of changing my 8 week english bulldogs food, and i am considering Fromms 4 star. But the 4 star line does not have a puppy formula only the Fromms Gold. From what i read the 4 star is much better quality than the gold, will it be ok if i start him on the 4 star instead of the the puppy formula? I've read that puppies need the puppy formula until 12-14 months. i wanted to ask you directly since it looked like you have used Fromms.

Thank you
michael

Yes, you can.... the 4* line is all stages, but you can do the Puppy gold till about 8mths then switch directly to one of the* foods, that is what I did with Lambeau. I used the red meat Prairie Gold then went to Pork and Peas.

Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Thank you
michael

Hi Micheal, yes you can start your puppy on any of the Fromms 4 Star line since all of the Fromms formulas are interchangeable. It is best to feed a puppy a puppy formula for the extra calories, vitamins and minerals that a growing puppy needs, and Fromms Puppy Gold is a good quality food, although my guys didn't do well on it because it is a chicken based kibble and my guys are allergic to chicken. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken.

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Hi Micheal, yes you can start your puppy on any of the Fromms 4 Star line since all of the Fromms formulas are interchangeable. It is best to feed a puppy a puppy formula for the extra calories, vitamins and minerals that a growing puppy needs, and Fromms Puppy Gold is a good quality food, although my guys didn't do well on it because it is a chicken based kibble and my guys are allergic to chicken. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken.

great! thanks for the advice. since your pups didn't do well with fromms puppy gold what puppy kibble did you use for your little guys?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
great! thanks for the advice. since your pups didn't do well with fromms puppy gold what puppy kibble did you use for your little guys?

Hi Michael, my food journey is a little different, because my two guys have multiple allergies, and I've had to try trial and error to find a food that they tolerated. When I bought them from the breeder, he had them on Royal Canin, and I knew it wasn't the best choice of food, since it had corn and fillers, so I started researching other foods, which is how I actually found the EBN site. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years and I fed her Fo Natural, which is an excellent food as well, but is also chicken based, which gave my guys soft serve poops. The vet told me, the Go food was too rich for their systems, which caused the diarrhea. I decided to start them on Fromms 4 Star since it was recommended on this site and many members were using it and we're happy with the results. I started them on the chicken kibble, and this is when I realized that they did not tolerate chicken, so I switched them to the Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they did really well on this food for about 2 years, then Blossom was showing some symptoms of allergies, some licking, but not bad, but Dozer got really sick, he had yeasty ears, goopy eyes, was licking his paws excessively, and was shedding like crazy. I switched them both to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, and they both did well on this food, but 9'months later, Dozer developed the same symptoms again, he had developed an allergy to Lamb as well. Blossom is still on Lamb and Lentil, and she is doing fine. I went back to basics with Dozer and removed all his treats, supplements and fruits and vegetables from his diet. I placed him on a Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble to detox him from all proteins for one month, and then I tried introducing a Limited Ingredient Novel protein like Kangaroo, Rabbit, or Venison. The idea is that by introducing a Novel protein, or one that they've never had before and is not common, the immune system will not recognize the new protein and hopefully they will tolerate it. We tried the limited ingredient kangaroo, but he didn't do well on this food either, so I switched him to the Limited Ingredient Rabbit, which was the worst for symptoms and he had black poops as well. So now I have him on Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Mix and I am adding my own non animal proteins like eggs, cottage cheese and kidney beans.
Pits only been a week on the new food, but he's doing well so far, and his hair is starting to grow back on his chest, and his eyes have cleared up. I'm hoping that this new food will work for him, but it's too early to tell, since it can take up to a month before you see an improvement or benefit from a food change. It can take up to a month for the old food to leave their system. If your dog tolerated chicken, then the Fromms Puppy Fold is a good choice, or any of the Fromms 4 Star foods, but there are other great food choices that are a 4 to 6 Star food like Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Arcana, and Orijen. You can't go wrong with any of the better quality kibble a. Have you checked on the Dog Food Ratings on the Home Page?

Here is the Link to the Dog Food Ratings.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Hi Michael, my food journey is a little different, because my two guys have multiple allergies, and I've had to try trial and error to find a food that they tolerated. When I bought them from the breeder, he had them on Royal Canin, and I knew it wasn't the best choice of food, since it had corn and fillers, so I started researching other foods, which is how I actually found the EBN site. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years and I fed her Fo Natural, which is an excellent food as well, but is also chicken based, which gave my guys soft serve poops. The vet told me, the Go food was too rich for their systems, which caused the diarrhea. I decided to start them on Fromms 4 Star since it was recommended on this site and many members were using it and we're happy with the results. I started them on the chicken kibble, and this is when I realized that they did not tolerate chicken, so I switched them to the Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they did really well on this food for about 2 years, then Blossom was showing some symptoms of allergies, some licking, but not bad, but Dozer got really sick, he had yeasty ears, goopy eyes, was licking his paws excessively, and was shedding like crazy. I switched them both to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, and they both did well on this food, but 9'months later, Dozer developed the same symptoms again, he had developed an allergy to Lamb as well. Blossom is still on Lamb and Lentil, and she is doing fine. I went back to basics with Dozer and removed all his treats, supplements and fruits and vegetables from his diet. I placed him on a Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble to detox him from all proteins for one month, and then I tried introducing a Limited Ingredient Novel protein like Kangaroo, Rabbit, or Venison. The idea is that by introducing a Novel protein, or one that they've never had before and is not common, the immune system will not recognize the new protein and hopefully they will tolerate it. We tried the limited ingredient kangaroo, but he didn't do well on this food either, so I switched him to the Limited Ingredient Rabbit, which was the worst for symptoms and he had black poops as well. So now I have him on Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Mix and I am adding my own non animal proteins like eggs, cottage cheese and kidney beans.
Pits only been a week on the new food, but he's doing well so far, and his hair is starting to grow back on his chest, and his eyes have cleared up. I'm hoping that this new food will work for him, but it's too early to tell, since it can take up to a month before you see an improvement or benefit from a food change. It can take up to a month for the old food to leave their system. If your dog tolerated chicken, then the Fromms Puppy Fold is a good choice, or any of the Fromms 4 Star foods, but there are other great food choices that are a 4 to 6 Star food like Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Arcana, and Orijen. You can't go wrong with any of the better quality kibble a. Have you checked on the Dog Food Ratings on the Home Page?

Here is the Link to the Dog Food Ratings.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Wow i am sorry that your guys have to go through all of them allergies, i do hope this new diet works. Broly is actually my first English Bulldog, i have had different breeds of dogs but none with the same sensitivity to food as these bulldogs or allergies. I am hoping that by switching to a high quality grain-free formula it will fix his stool problems. I have read that a hard boiled egg every other day is good for my bulldog. Do you do that?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow i am sorry that your guys have to go through all of them allergies, i do hope this new diet works. Broly is actually my first English Bulldog, i have had different breeds of dogs but none with the same sensitivity to food as these bulldogs or allergies. I am hoping that by switching to a high quality grain-free formula it will fix his stool problems. I have read that a hard boiled egg every other day is good for my bulldog. Do you do that?

Thanks Michael, I hope it works too, I'm running out of protein options to feed him. I just want him to feel better and be healthy. I do give my guys a hard boiled egg but only once or twice a week. My guys do get plain yogurt, Kelp, Coconut Oil, and fresh fruits and cooked veggies as treats.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.