Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I posted before about the problems I'm having with Dozer and his allergies. He started out on Fromm's Chicken, and did not do well on this, he was allergic right away, we switched to Fromm's Beef Frittata, and both Dozer and Blossom did well on this food for about 2 years, then both developed allergy symptoms again, so we switched them both to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, which they were on for 9 months. Blossom is still on the Fromm's Lamb, but Dozer became very sick on this food, he was licking his paw excessively, to the point it looked like a swollen soggy sponge, and it had changed colour. His eyes were goopy, he scratched his chest raw and he went bald, and his ears were very waxy and smelly (yeasty). I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble to detoxify him from all proteins, and after a month, I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo Kibble. He has been on this food for about 3 weeks, and he has improved a lot, but it's not perfect. He isn't scratching as much, and his fur on his chest has grown back, and his chin isn't pink anymore, his eyes are still a little goopy, and his ears are still a little waxy, but much better. He is still licking his paws a little, but will stop when I tell him No. I had to buy dog food tonight, and the girl who works at the store came running at me, she said she had to talk to me about Dozer, she said they had a new food at the store, and they had a course on it, and she said she had been thinking about Dozer and his allergies. The food is called Boreal, and is a Canadian product, so I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this food, but was wondering what you thought of the ingredients. It has limited carbohydrates, so has a low glycemic index, and no potato. We're wondering if the potato in the kibble is causing him the yeast problems?

This is some info on the Boreal Food. What do you think? Does this look like a good food?
Its not listed on the Food Ratings [h=2]LAMB[/h] Our BOREAL Lamb diet is a grain free food using lamb as a single source novel protein. This is an everyday diet which can be used to help keep weight off your dog as well can be used as a hypoallergenic formula. Using a core of beans and peas to replace the grains found in many dog foods we also add in a herbal pack including blueberries and cranberries which improve the taste of the food as well add antioxidants with all their health benefits. Bags 25 lb. and 8.8 lb.
[h=4]Ingredients[/h]Fresh Lamb, Lamb Meal, Peas, Dried Whole Eggs, Pea Starch, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), source of Vitamin E), Northern White Pea Bean, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Flaxseed, Natural Lamb Flavour, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Zinc Methionine, Mannanoligosaccharides, Chicory Root (Fructooligosaccharides), Dried Whole Fruits & Vegetables (Apple, Carrot, Cranberry, Spinach, Sweet Potato, Tomato), Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, Digestive Pack (PROBIOTIC BACTERIA – Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, DIGESTIVE ENZYMES – Papain, Bromelain, Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product), Herbal Pack (Blueberries, Cranberries, Green Tea Extract, Barley Grass, Spirulina) ,Taurine, Copper Sulphate, Manganese Sulphate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid
[h=4]Feed Analysis[/h]
Protein (Minimum)28.0%
Fat (Miniumum)
18.0%
Fibre (Maximum)3.0%
Calcium (Minimum)1.5%
Phosporous (Minimum)1.0%
Moisture (Maximum)10.0%
Linolec Acid (Omega-6 EFA)2.5%
Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 EFA)*0.3%
Zinc100 ppm
Meat Content in Formula64%
Energy455 kcal/cup
Typical Carbohydrate Content (NFE)32.5%
Typical Carbohydrate Content86.6g/1000 kcal
[h=4]Lamb Suggested Daily Rations[/h]
[h=5]Dog Weight[/h][h=5]Daily Feedings[/h]
LbsKgCupsGrams
3-17 lbs1.4-7.7 kg1/4 to 128-110
18-23 lbs7.7-10.4 kg1 to 1 1/4110-138
24-45 lbs10.4-20.4 kg1 1/4 to 2138-220
46-65 lbs20.4-29.5 kg2-2 1/2220-275
66-85 lbs29.5-38.6 kg2 1/2 to 3275-330
86-105 lbs38.6-47.6 kg3-3 1/2330-385
106-125 lbs47.6-56.7 kg3 1/2-4385-440
Puppy WeightDaily Feedings
KgLbsGramsCups
2.3-5 kg5-11 lbs120- 2101 – 1 3/4
5-7.5 kg11-16.5 lbs210-2551 3/4-2 1/8
7.5-10 kg16.5-22 lbs255-3002 1/8-2 1/2
10-15 kg22-33 lbs300-3902 1/2-3 1/4
15-20 kg33-44 lbs390-4803 1/4-4

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]. [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wouldn't put him back on any type of lamb formula regardless of if it's a good kibble or not.
Based on what you wrote, it sounds like the problem was with the lamb.

My two don't do well on lamb either.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like a decent food but I wouldn't do lamb as the protein, do they have any others?

You may want to revisit the beef frittata. The issues you were having we're in the spring so very well could have been spring allergies and not a reaction to their food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Looks like a decent food but I wouldn't do lamb as the protein, do they have any others?

You may want to revisit the beef frittata. The issues you were having we're in the spring so very well could have been spring allergies and not a reaction to their food.

Thanks guys, I never thought about it being caused by Spring allergies, since he's on a protein for a little while, and then does fine, and then he develops the allergy over time. This process is so hard. I just want to find something that is a good quality, good protein, and one that he tolerates and doesn't make him itchy, goopy, farty, or smelly. I want him to be healthy and comfortable.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh I feel your pain!! It's so hard to pin point what the problem is sometimes!
How is he doing on the new food?

We are still struggling, with his allergies. He did the best on the Limited Ingredient Vegan, but lost weight because there was no protein, then we started the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo, and he's been on that for a little over a month. It is better than the Lamb, but still not perfect, his chest is getting raw again, and he's still licking his left paw, but his eyes have cleared up. I have to buy a new bag of food on Friday when he finishes the bag he's on now. I'm wondering if I should keep him on the Kangaroo and give it more time, or if I should try the Honest Kitchen Zeal, which is fish based, or maybe the Earthborn Holistic food? I just have to keep trying until we find something he tolerates.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Just a thought, but how about Limited Ingredient Vegan and add your own protein ingredent? Eggs are good or what ever cooked, or if you feel adventurous, raw meat, except lamb....hope you find a solution soon.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Just a thought, but how about Limited Ingredient Vegan and add your own protein ingredent? Eggs are good or what ever cooked, or if you feel adventurous, raw meat, except lamb....hope you find a solution soon.

Thank You RiiSi, I did think of that, I even thought of adding kidney beans or some other beans for protein, I didn't think of the eggs though, that is a good suggestion.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
We are still struggling, with his allergies. He did the best on the Limited Ingredient Vegan, but lost weight because there was no protein, then we started the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo, and he's been on that for a little over a month. It is better than the Lamb, but still not perfect, his chest is getting raw again, and he's still licking his left paw, but his eyes have cleared up. I have to buy a new bag of food on Friday when he finishes the bag he's on now. I'm wondering if I should keep him on the Kangaroo and give it more time, or if I should try the Honest Kitchen Zeal, which is fish based, or maybe the Earthborn Holistic food? I just have to keep trying until we find something he tolerates.

Earthborn Holistic just got delivered today. Hope Brett's tear stains goes away with this

3a8012ee107c3b85518ba9abe2f1df34.jpg

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I just bought this same food for Dozer, the kangaroo isn't agreeing with him, he vomited yesterday and his chest is raw again, his poop is really stinky on this food, and it is black, because the kibble is black. He finished the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo this morning, and I found the Earthborn Holistic Coastal at the PetValu in the Plaza across the street from my house. I'll keep him on this for 3 weeks to a month and see how he does, and if this doesn't agree with him, then the last thing I'm going to try before I do home cooked dog food, is the Honest Kitchen dehydrated and add my own protein. I've heard good things about both, so I hope one of them will work for Dozer. I hope you have good luck with the Earthborn Holistic for Brett. Since we are both starting this food on the same day, I'll look for your updates, and I'll post Dozers Progress, so we can compare results. Good Luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online