Help Needed! What food would be best for my young bully

bentleylepew

Oct 4, 2015
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Bentley is going to be a year old in a month and I am looking into new foods for him, to start weening him off of puppy food.
Currently, Bentley is on Wellness Complete Puppy food and he has issues with his stool, it has always been very soft. He gets pumpkin with his food daily to help firm it up. But it's still on the soft side, and it's worse at night.
He also has issues with skin allergies, he he gets red bald patches. We had his vet look at this and he prescribed an antibiotic. He was on the antibiotics for a month total and it seemed to help clear up the irritation as the spots got smaller and started growing hair. Now that he is off of the antibiotics the spots seem to be growing again. :( This makes me think that it has something to do with his diet.
I've been looking into foods, now that he is to an age that be can be on an adult food, and I am torn between two... Fromm Beef Veg Food and Pure Vita Turkey and Sweet Potato. Any suggestions??:pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: many of the members here feed Fromm, I have not heard of Pure.... I will tag some of our more knowledgable members regarding food.

would love to see some pistures of your baby --- post some of the patches too so we can see what the skin looks like

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I haven't heard of the Pure either. But as long as you go with something that is 4 stars or higher, and grain free - that should help him alot! Here's a link to ratings:

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

I would try to start with a single protein, so read the ingredients carefully when selecting one. You can also add some salmon oil or omega which are both great for this skin & coat.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Both are good foods.

If you think the allergy is food related (just remember it could very well be environmental as well-that's why it's recurring)
I would go with Pure Vita only because the Fromm Beef Frittata Veg. also has pork meal.

I was looking at Pure Vita's site.
They say where the kibble is made, but they never mention where they source the ingredients.
Before feeding my two any food, I always make sure none of the ingredients are coming from Asia. All it takes is an email to the company asking them. They generally email you back
with a breakdown of where the animal proteins, fruits and veggies are sourced from. If they can't, or they're elusive about it, find a different food.

OP
B

bentleylepew

Oct 4, 2015
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Both are good foods.

If you think the allergy is food related (just remember it could very well be environmental as well-that's why it's recurring)
I would go with Pure Vita only because the Fromm Beef Frittata Veg. also has pork meal.

I was looking at Pure Vita's site.
They say where the kibble is made, but they never mention where they source the ingredients.
Before feeding my two any food, I always make sure none of the ingredients are coming from Asia. All it takes is an email to the company asking them. They generally email you back
with a breakdown of where the animal proteins, fruits and veggies are sourced from. If they can't, or they're elusive about it, find a different food.

Definitely leaning towards the Pure Vita. But I did take your advice and email them. Just waiting for a response :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.