Question for all of you with new puppies....

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
or if you can remember back when your Bully was a baby. Even tho Gertie and Ida are only 9 months (almost) old, I can't remember at what age I reduced them from 3 to 2 feedings a day. I got Gertie very young, about 5 1/2 weeks, so I know she was eating 3 meals a day for a bit, but I don't think it was that long. Ida was around 12 weeks old when I brought her home, and I'm thinking by then they were both on 2 meals a day. Clementine is 10 weeks old and I'm feeding her 3 times a day, but I'm anxious to get her on the same schedule with Gertie and Ida, but I don't want to reduce her feedings too soon. So, what are all of you with little ones doing? How many feedings, at what current age?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi, Each of our dogs have been changed to a 2x @ day schedule in 3-4 months. It depends on how fast they are growing and handling the food. Just like with people, smaller amounts more often is better. Switching to a 2x@ day will mean BIGGER amounts at each feeding to have enough calories, which mean more food at once. bigger bellies, and more stool volume. the longer you can wait, the better, even up to 4-6 months. If you have to only do 2x @ day, allow plenty of bathroom time after eating and for the next hours. Pupppies need Lots of breaks.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
That makes sense, guess I should just see how she does. Just don't want to over-feed her. Seems like there have been several posts a while back where members with puppies were feeding them 3 times a day and everyone was saying OMG! they don't need that 3rd feeding! I just can't remember the ages of the pups.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Right or wrong, we got Daddy and purely because of our schedules we immeditately put him on the 2-meals a day schedule like the rest of the dogs. We were often not around for the middle of the day meal so we just had to take that out!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos eats 2 times a day, with snaks of course. usually the mid day feeding we never were home for so we had to omit that one too. i think hes doing more than fine with 2 meals a day....i need to post a pic, maybe hes doing a lil too well....get my drift?:angel:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Chaos eats 2 times a day, with snaks of course. usually the mid day feeding we never were home for so we had to omit that one too. i think hes doing more than fine with 2 meals a day....i need to post a pic, maybe hes doing a lil too well....get my drift?:angel:

@rayers ... I'd be more than happy to study pics of Chaos to make sure he is on an adequate nutritional diet ..... in fact I think you should post a lot of pics just so I can be sure .... :whistle:

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I hadn't even thought about that. I guess a lot of people can't do a mid-day feeding. I think I'm feeding her too much, she hasn't been finishing her food. Maybe I'll do 3 meals for another week or so, til she's 3 months old and then feed her the 2 times that I feed Gertie and Ida.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi, Well each situation is different and each puppy/dog is different. While there are strong consierations to be considered, be sure and consider how much the puppy weighs, how fast is the growth weight, how much fat compared to weight. This is why it is important to track weights for the first few months and also based on you vet visits. If your pupppy gains TOO much weight as a young puppy this will be hard on their joints and limit the physical activity. As you make changes, make small changes slowly to minimize the physical changes. Good Luck~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.