Real Name
    Alena
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Manu
    Likes (Received)

Default New English bulldog owner and need help with diet

Hi, my name is Alena and I have a 6 month old English bulldog. I got him when he was about 2-3 months. Per breeder's instructions, I fed him Zach's. My little dude loved it, but about 2 months ago, he completely lost interest. He just stopped eating it. I was then advised to try Victor's and I switched protein to beef. He did really well with that, but his stool drastically changed. It became very wet, but nothing too drastic. I confided in a local shop owner that has had experience with Bulldogs, so he then told me to try Canidae (which I'm currently using). His stool was the same consistency, I didn't notice too much of a change. But within the last week, my poor little dude has been messing himself and it's very diarrhea like and I can clearly see water present. He eats at the same time everyday and does spend time outside, but I can't fully figure out if it's his food or maybe grass he picks at and eats? He's not too lethargic and still very playful, so I haven't consulted a vet in hopes that someone can help me here and save us a visit.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New English bulldog owner and need help with diet

Hello Alena,

I see that Canidae has quite a few different blends, do you know which one you have Manu on? I looked at their site and it looks like they have some good kibble if you're using PURE, but the other selection looks to include chicken and grains which are very common allergens for EBDs. A lot of people on the forums Recommend the FROMMS grain free blends as you can easily switch proteins without causing your little guy/gal much stomach irritation.

To help with the loose stool you can add some canned pumpkin to the kibble and it'll help firm it up a bit

Look forward to hearing from you and welcome to the Forums!

3. Likes TyTysmom, savemejeebus, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Alena
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Manu
    Likes (Received)

I have the all stages of life with a blend of chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. He didn't seem to have any problem with it when we first started on it, something just seems to be bothering him especially this last week. I haven't experimented with FROMMS or canned pumpkin. Thanks for the tips!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoimangos View Post
    Hello Alena,

I see that Canidae has quite a few different blends, do you know which one you have Manu on? I looked at their site and it looks like they have some good kibble if you're using PURE, but the other selection looks to include chicken and grains which are very common allergens for EBDs. A lot of people on the forums Recommend the FROMMS grain free blends as you can easily switch proteins without causing your little guy/gal much stomach irritation.

To help with the loose stool you can add some canned pumpkin to the kibble and it'll help firm it up a bit

Look forward to hearing from you and welcome to the Forums!

Great info and advice!
    @Lena3220 -- the blend you have seems to be to much for him (protein wise) if you do not want to switch brands ( I feed Fromm as well and use Pork and Peas) -- look at the other blends and try to avoid grains and chicken with your choice. Lamb is sometimes an issue too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)