Help Needed! New English bulldog owner and need help with diet

Lena3220

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Manu
Hi, my name is Alena and I have a 6 month old English bulldog. I got him when he was about 2-3 months. Per breeder's instructions, I fed him Zach's. My little dude loved it, but about 2 months ago, he completely lost interest. He just stopped eating it. I was then advised to try Victor's and I switched protein to beef. He did really well with that, but his stool drastically changed. It became very wet, but nothing too drastic. I confided in a local shop owner that has had experience with Bulldogs, so he then told me to try Canidae (which I'm currently using). His stool was the same consistency, I didn't notice too much of a change. But within the last week, my poor little dude has been messing himself and it's very diarrhea like and I can clearly see water present. He eats at the same time everyday and does spend time outside, but I can't fully figure out if it's his food or maybe grass he picks at and eats? He's not too lethargic and still very playful, so I haven't consulted a vet in hopes that someone can help me here and save us a visit.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Hello Alena,

I see that Canidae has quite a few different blends, do you know which one you have Manu on? I looked at their site and it looks like they have some good kibble if you're using PURE, but the other selection looks to include chicken and grains which are very common allergens for EBDs. A lot of people on the forums Recommend the FROMMS grain free blends as you can easily switch proteins without causing your little guy/gal much stomach irritation.

To help with the loose stool you can add some canned pumpkin to the kibble and it'll help firm it up a bit :)

Look forward to hearing from you and welcome to the Forums!

OP
Lena3220

Lena3220

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Manu
I have the all stages of life with a blend of chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. He didn't seem to have any problem with it when we first started on it, something just seems to be bothering him especially this last week. I haven't experimented with FROMMS or canned pumpkin. Thanks for the tips!:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello Alena,

I see that Canidae has quite a few different blends, do you know which one you have Manu on? I looked at their site and it looks like they have some good kibble if you're using PURE, but the other selection looks to include chicken and grains which are very common allergens for EBDs. A lot of people on the forums Recommend the FROMMS grain free blends as you can easily switch proteins without causing your little guy/gal much stomach irritation.

To help with the loose stool you can add some canned pumpkin to the kibble and it'll help firm it up a bit :)

Look forward to hearing from you and welcome to the Forums!

Great info and advice!
[MENTION=14880]Lena3220[/MENTION] -- the blend you have seems to be to much for him (protein wise) if you do not want to switch brands ( I feed Fromm as well and use Pork and Peas) -- look at the other blends and try to avoid grains and chicken with your choice. Lamb is sometimes an issue too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.