Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
So when I got Murphy about a month ago the breeder had him on Costco-Kirkland adult chicken rice& veggie.

So we kept him on it.
We asked the vet about it and she said it wasn't an awful choice but those types of food aren't ran through the system of whether they have all the qualities in a good food he would need.

Here's the thing
He isn't gassy
His coat is amazing-everyone tells us how soft he is-I use coconut oil too
Mostly hard poops

Only thing is, is that he has tear stains which most EB's do. Cleaning them and they look better.
He also came from California so I'm wondering if their water down there has a different ph level then ours up here in Oregon. Was going to try putting a drop of vinegar in his water and go from there for the stains.

I just want to make sure I'm not giving him something bad
And then if I was to switch I don't want to switch and give him something with way too much protein.
I mean he is I guess fine with what he is eating now-no itching, or anything of that nature.
He gets so excited when it's time to eat!!
Any feedback would be helpful. image.jpegimage.jpeg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi @Kimberlie - I learned this a while ago. If he's doing great on it, and is not having any major issues, do not switch. If you do, you may end up opening more issues. Alot of bullies don't do well with grains or chicken.... so maybe this could be causing the tear stains? But if they aren't really bad, then I wouldn't worry. If you start to notice excessive stains, shedding, itching, redness, then yes time to switch but for now, I wouldn't. If the time ever does come or you decide to anyway, I would go with something 4 stars or higher, and grain free. Also for the vinegar, do apple cider, a pure raw brand like Bragg's.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

:) Hugs to Murphy!

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
You are an amazing person Jessica
Just wanted to tell you that !!
I always see you on here and you answer anyone's questions and give great feedback. Just want to say thanks :)

I will keep his food the same and keep an eye on him. I mean with the time I have had him he has had two surgeries been on meds and antibiotics (cherry eye)
So I'll give him time to settle down without any of that in his system.
Just the tear staining is the only thing I notice and I keep up on it. Other then that he whoofs his food down like no other.
Thanks again

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessica is great and gave you great advice! I'd try bottled water and see if it makes a difference with the tear stains, could be the time of year too.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You are an amazing person Jessica
Just wanted to tell you that !!
I always see you on here and you answer anyone's questions and give great feedback. Just want to say thanks :)

I will keep his food the same and keep an eye on him. I mean with the time I have had him he has had two surgeries been on meds and antibiotics (cherry eye)
So I'll give him time to settle down without any of that in his system.
Just the tear staining is the only thing I notice and I keep up on it. Other then that he whoofs his food down like no other.
Thanks again

You are most welcome, and thank you :eek:
[MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION], great idea, try bottled/filtered water! We have water delivered just for Tyson. Spoiled much? Nahhhh. lol hee hee

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessica is great and gave you great advice! I'd try bottled water and see if it makes a difference with the tear stains, could be the time of year too.

Do you think if I bought a brita water filter pitcher, would that be sufficient??
Or the gallon filtered water in the milk jugs from the store??
I just researched the post about if people give their EB's filtered or tap water and that was one persons suggestion that she does.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you think if I bought a brita water filter pitcher, would that be sufficient??
I just researched the post about if people give their EB's filtered or tap water and that was one persons suggestion that she does.

Yes Brita's great and so is the water jugs from the store.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Why don't you try the Brita first since that's a bit easier... and see if you notice a difference or not. If not after a few weeks, try the bottled to compare. We switched Ty to filtered years ago, and did find benefits from it :)

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
A cap of cider vinegar in the water once a day should stop the tears [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Hi @Kimberlie - I learned this a while ago. If he's doing great on it, and is not having any major issues, do not switch. If you do, you may end up opening more issues. Alot of bullies don't do well with grains or chicken.... so maybe this could be causing the tear stains? But if they aren't really bad, then I wouldn't worry. If you start to notice excessive stains, shedding, itching, redness, then yes time to switch but for now, I wouldn't. If the time ever does come or you decide to anyway, I would go with something 4 stars or higher, and grain free. Also for the vinegar, do apple cider, a pure raw brand like Bragg's.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

:) Hugs to Murphy!

Boy, I second that! I changed Monty's food to a 'better' one when we got him. He had no skin issues, allergies etc. He was on drops for his eyes which cleared up quickly but that was it. Now maybe that would have all changed anyway coming to a different environment, who knows, but I often think I should have left things as they were and MAYBE I wouldn't be where I am now. I am in the process of changing foods again this week as he was licking his paws, starting to get inter-digital cysts and and once more shedding loads. The never ending search for the perfect food!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Boy, I second that! I changed Monty's food to a 'better' one when we got him. He had no skin issues, allergies etc. He was on drops for his eyes which cleared up quickly but that was it. Now maybe that would have all changed anyway coming to a different environment, who knows, but I often think I should have left things as they were and MAYBE I wouldn't be where I am now. I am in the process of changing foods again this week as he was licking his paws, starting to get inter-digital cysts and and once more shedding loads. The never ending search for the perfect food!

It's prob bc you moved to Houston. This place is a hot mess for allergies!!! LOL

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It's prob bc you moved to Houston. This place is a hot mess for allergies!!! LOL

It affected me for sure but Monty came from Houston! And Chumly who did come from the UK did better!! Go figure!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.