Salmon

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] left this comment in the chat box today,

"very important news regarding Bulldogs and stones! I have a great bulldog vet and he said that Bulldogs are prone to stones, so they should eat meat that is low in purine levels,what this means is ,never use any brand of foods that MIGHT use organs in their food, and salmon is also not good for Bulldogs that may get stones or prone to. I caught my guy just as crystals had formed, so got to it in time to prevent stones, - the vet said white fish is OK and chicken and eggs are also low in purine."

There was some other stuff but its a long post and i cant scroll to copy it all. I know [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] tried to copy but couldnt so i had ago instead.

Anyways it left me wondering if Salmon Oil is still ok or should I be thinkin of an alternative? Anybody know?

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Salmon Oil I won't take out of the diet, I would not think. There is no better alternative, and wondering what proteins are high in purine?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It says not good for bulldogs that get stones or are prone to them, since Samson has never had them I'm not worried. I use salmon oil and feed a good food with salmon in it. I don't think there is a reason for me to change unless it becomes a problem. With anything though I think the key is moderation. So if possible I think it is good to change the protein source you feed from time to time. I don't know though, hope we can get more info soon!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Just found this online.

According to the American Medical Association, purine-containing foods include:

•Beer, other alcoholic beverages.
•Anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring.
•Yeast.
•Organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads)
•Legumes (dried beans, peas)
•Meat extracts, consomme, gravies.
•Mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower.

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Most of those fodstuffs we alraedy know about, it was the mention of salmon that threw me as i have always thought it a good protein source. I am cosidering a food change to Fish4dogs one which highly recommended to me by bulldog breeders over here but am currently trying to find some unbiassed comments about it. It has white fish brands so i will use that if i switch rather than the salmon.
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] you are probably right salmon oil is fantastic i dont think i will take it from her diet

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So basically, if you are a bully who is PRONE to getting stones stay away from Salmon. (But it is just fine otherwise?)

If you are a bully who wants to PREVENT stones, don't use foods that could use organ meat. Right? So how do you know if they use organ meat or not?

Foods that are low in purine are eggs, chicken and whitefish, and great choices for dogs with stone issues- as long as they don't use organ meat!

Sorry I basically reworded everything because I want to be clear on this- don't want everyone giving up salmon oil and good foods if they do not have any issues!

OP
L

Lucy-licious

It would seem that bulldogs, dalmations, yorkshire terriers and miniature schnautzers are prone to bladder stones.
Females more than males. You wont know if your dog is prone until its too late and you already have stones or crystals.
So yes to prevent stones avoid organ meat and salmon.....but like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said how do we know a manufacturer MIGHT use organ meat??? (sorry repeating)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
The only issue I have with pet foods that have ANY type of fish in them is if it contains ethoxyquin. The only pet foods I know of that guarantee their foods are ethoxyquin free is orijen and fromm. When I got on EBN I was introduced to many pet food resources that I had never seen before, this is how I learned about ethoxyquin. That was what made me switch from the Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon that I was feeding Samson for like 2.5 years to Fromm. Natural Balance, Taste Of The Wild, none of them will guarantee they won't use it except orijen and fromm (that I know of). This article explains the issues with ethoxyquin:

Ethoxyquin… Dangerous Dog Food Preservative

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] for the article. It's great info, never even heard of it.

I wouldn't stop giving salmon oil or change food unless necessary as well. Every bully is different, but I'll take it as something that I need to watch out for instead.

What are symptoms of bladder stones anyways? Are they the same as for UTI?

OP
L

Lucy-licious

That took a while to find out but i'm happy to say that fish4dogs guarantees their food does not contain ethoxiquin :)

Fish Super Premium Complete 4 Puppies, No additives**No preservatives**No wheat or gluten*
Ingredients
Cod 34%, Potato 21.3%, Herring Meal 26.5%, Salmon Oil 9.6%, Beet Fibre 5.2%, Brewers Yeast 2.0%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.6%
Nutritional Analysis: Protein 30%, Oil 14%, Ash 8%, Fibre 2%, Vitamin A 20,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu/kg, Vitamin E 130 iu/kg , copper 18 mg/kg

Calories 357 Kcal/100gm

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
That took a while to find out but i'm happy to say that fish4dogs guarantees their food does not contain ethoxiquin :)

Fish Super Premium Complete 4 Puppies, No additives**No preservatives**No wheat or gluten*
Ingredients
Cod 34%, Potato 21.3%, Herring Meal 26.5%, Salmon Oil 9.6%, Beet Fibre 5.2%, Brewers Yeast 2.0%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.6%
Nutritional Analysis: Protein 30%, Oil 14%, Ash 8%, Fibre 2%, Vitamin A 20,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu/kg, Vitamin E 130 iu/kg , copper 18 mg/kg

Calories 357 Kcal/100gm

Thats awesome! Glad to hear more dog food companies are doing it :up:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Think i'm gonna make the switch then...I have spoken to the owner of the village petshop and she has agreed to stock it for me :) the food were on now james wellbeloved is better than her first food purina :down: but although her red face and spots have cleared she still has bad tear stains and her poos are well hard :( i mean almost like shes constipated.

So after a lot of consideration and discussion with some local show breeders i'm going to commit to a change, see i feel better already and i havnt done it yet :lol:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online