Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Bones from the butcher

Can I give Ruby bones from the butchers? Which ones are best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bones from the butcher

I would never give any bone to any dog sorry , Bones splinter , those splinters are swallowed and hang up in everything , digestive system , stomach , bowels ect ect , also do not give raw hide chewies as they choke on them not fun .
    Nyla ( spelling maybe there ) bones are good , all sorts of GRAIN free soft treats out there try those

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Raw marrow bones from the butcher are great for dogs... Excellent source of nutrients,

DO NOT COOK THEM... Cooked bones do splinter and cause internal issues, but raw are good and given when supervised. I have given these to all my bullies... 10 plus years and never an issue
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by natski282 View Post
    I would never give any bone to any dog sorry , Bones splinter , those splinters are swallowed and hang up in everything , digestive system , stomach , bowels ect ect , also do not give raw hide chewies as they choke on them not fun .
    Nyla ( spelling maybe there ) bones are good , all sorts of GRAIN free soft treats out there try those
    Thanks - I never have and would never give raw hide to any of my dogs those things should be banned she has lots of nyla bones but with them being hard I always worry about her teeth, I just want to get her something that she could chew on where I don't have to worry about her teeth or anything splintering

5. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was told turkey necks are okay to give as is or in quarters (not cooked) and that it is good for mental stimulation and oral hygiene...but I am a novice at this, so no experience...just what I heard and read.

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

7. Likes ruby liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Raw marrow bones from the butcher are great for dogs... Excellent source of nutrients,

DO NOT COOK THEM... Cooked bones do splinter and cause internal issues, but raw are good and given when supervised. I have given these to all my bullies... 10 plus years and never an issue
    Thank-you I knew marrow bone was good for them but wasn't sure if I could give her ones from the butcher and didn't really want to give her the ones you can buy from the pet store....she has lots of nyla bones to chew on but I always worry about them being too hard on her teeth at times plus I wanted to give her abit of variety as she loves to chew on stuff think il head to the butchers tomorrow and grab her one

9. Likes NewEnglandBully, dolphin, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ruby View Post
    Thank-you I knew marrow bone was good for them but wasn't sure if I could give her ones from the butcher and didn't really want to give her the ones you can buy from the pet store....she has lots of nyla bones to chew on but I always worry about them being too hard on her teeth at times plus I wanted to give her abit of variety as she loves to chew on stuff think il head to the butchers tomorrow and grab her one

We started to notice red spots on Bass' nyla bone and had to check his gums for bleeding. One thing I forgot to mention, the man at the butcher shop told me yesterday that his brother does Raw for his french bulldog because of allergy issues and gave me a list of items to request when I'm ready to start...it was TURKEY: necks, gizzards, hearts CHICKEN: Case of necks BEEF: marrow bones, beef hearts, beef liver.
    Not sure if that helps at all, but I agree, the Nylabones may be a little too rough sometimes on the gums?!

11. Likes ruby liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post

DITTO here… it's been a great treat for Wallygator and I put peanut butter in them to freeze them when he's picked them clean. I would NOT give this to any dog unsupervised of course...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

13. Likes 2BullyMama, ruby liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh my god, I need to take a pic next time I get the Dinosaur (bone marrow) bones from Fairway. They cut them out of the meat for me because the ones they sell for soups are small.
    It's quite the show watching my two gnaw at them. They can go at it for hours.

@Laurie I stopped using nylabones over a year ago for that very reason. Blue always cut his gums on them eventually. The edges get rough. Many here just file them down and they're as good as new. I just don't have the patience for it.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

Are the bone marrow bones from the pet store ok to give? I've been wanting to give one to Bowser but didn't know if I should because he's only about 5 months old.

16. Likes ruby liked this post
    Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

I buy soup bones and make my Bullys bone marrow broth. It is something I had started when Shiner had gotten sick because it is supposed to be good for them. I add parsley, once it cooked. You use distilled water, preferably beef knuckle bones, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. For any meat or marrow cooked out of the bone, I add it to the broth. I pour this over their food nightly, and mix in a tablespoon of yogurt. They love it!

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

18. Likes NewEnglandBully, Texas Carol, ruby liked this post
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    I buy soup bones and make my Bullys bone marrow broth. It is something I had started when Shiner had gotten sick because it is supposed to be good for them. I add parsley, once it cooked. You use distilled water, preferably beef knuckle bones, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. For any meat or marrow cooked out of the bone, I add it to the broth. I pour this over their food nightly, and mix in a tablespoon of yogurt. They love it!
    Do you make up one big batch a week then freeze/thaw or cook nightly?

I make a chicken based bone broth when any of my girls are ill or feel a cold/flu coming on...but never gave it to the Bass...
    I may try your recipe in the near future. Fall is coming on and I <3 cooking in the fall

20. Likes ruby liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads