Bones from the butcher

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Can I give Ruby bones from the butchers? Which ones are best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I would never give any bone to any dog sorry , Bones splinter , those splinters are swallowed and hang up in everything , digestive system , stomach , bowels ect ect , also do not give raw hide chewies as they choke on them not fun .
Nyla ( spelling maybe there ) bones are good , all sorts of GRAIN free soft treats out there try those

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Raw marrow bones from the butcher are great for dogs... Excellent source of nutrients,

DO NOT COOK THEM... Cooked bones do splinter and cause internal issues, but raw are good and given when supervised. I have given these to all my bullies... 10 plus years and never an issue

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I would never give any bone to any dog sorry , Bones splinter , those splinters are swallowed and hang up in everything , digestive system , stomach , bowels ect ect , also do not give raw hide chewies as they choke on them not fun .
Nyla ( spelling maybe there ) bones are good , all sorts of GRAIN free soft treats out there try those

Thanks - I never have and would never give raw hide to any of my dogs those things should be banned :) she has lots of nyla bones but with them being hard I always worry about her teeth, I just want to get her something that she could chew on where I don't have to worry about her teeth or anything splintering

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I was told turkey necks are okay to give as is or in quarters (not cooked) and that it is good for mental stimulation and oral hygiene...but I am a novice at this, so no experience...just what I heard and read.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Raw marrow bones from the butcher are great for dogs... Excellent source of nutrients,

DO NOT COOK THEM... Cooked bones do splinter and cause internal issues, but raw are good and given when supervised. I have given these to all my bullies... 10 plus years and never an issue

Thank-you I knew marrow bone was good for them but wasn't sure if I could give her ones from the butcher and didn't really want to give her the ones you can buy from the pet store....she has lots of nyla bones to chew on but I always worry about them being too hard on her teeth at times plus I wanted to give her abit of variety as she loves to chew on stuff think il head to the butchers tomorrow and grab her one

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank-you I knew marrow bone was good for them but wasn't sure if I could give her ones from the butcher and didn't really want to give her the ones you can buy from the pet store....she has lots of nyla bones to chew on but I always worry about them being too hard on her teeth at times plus I wanted to give her abit of variety as she loves to chew on stuff think il head to the butchers tomorrow and grab her one

We started to notice red spots on Bass' nyla bone and had to check his gums for bleeding. One thing I forgot to mention, the man at the butcher shop told me yesterday that his brother does Raw for his french bulldog because of allergy issues and gave me a list of items to request when I'm ready to start...it was TURKEY: necks, gizzards, hearts CHICKEN: Case of necks BEEF: marrow bones, beef hearts, beef liver.
Not sure if that helps at all, but I agree, the Nylabones may be a little too rough sometimes on the gums?!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

DITTO here… it's been a great treat for Wallygator and I put peanut butter in them to freeze them when he's picked them clean. I would NOT give this to any dog unsupervised of course...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh my god, I need to take a pic next time I get the Dinosaur (bone marrow) bones from Fairway. They cut them out of the meat for me because the ones they sell for soups are small.
It's quite the show watching my two gnaw at them. They can go at it for hours.

@Laurie I stopped using nylabones over a year ago for that very reason. Blue always cut his gums on them eventually. The edges get rough. Many here just file them down and they're as good as new. I just don't have the patience for it.

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Are the bone marrow bones from the pet store ok to give? I've been wanting to give one to Bowser but didn't know if I should because he's only about 5 months old.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I buy soup bones and make my Bullys bone marrow broth. It is something I had started when Shiner had gotten sick because it is supposed to be good for them. I add parsley, once it cooked. You use distilled water, preferably beef knuckle bones, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. For any meat or marrow cooked out of the bone, I add it to the broth. I pour this over their food nightly, and mix in a tablespoon of yogurt. They love it!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I buy soup bones and make my Bullys bone marrow broth. It is something I had started when Shiner had gotten sick because it is supposed to be good for them. I add parsley, once it cooked. You use distilled water, preferably beef knuckle bones, and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. For any meat or marrow cooked out of the bone, I add it to the broth. I pour this over their food nightly, and mix in a tablespoon of yogurt. They love it!
Do you make up one big batch a week then freeze/thaw or cook nightly?

I make a chicken based bone broth when any of my girls are ill or feel a cold/flu coming on...but never gave it to the Bass...
I may try your recipe in the near future. Fall is coming on and I <3 cooking in the fall :yes:

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
[MENTION=10681]Laurie[/MENTION], I make a large batch and freeze individual portions for each meal in small plastic containers or muffin tins. This way I can zap it in the microwave to melt - they go nuts when they hear the microwave beep! I have tried freezing it in larger containers and then thawing in the fridge for several days at a time, but I prefer the smaller portions to thaw daily. The broth usually lasts two to three weeks per batch, but I am feeding two.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Are the bone marrow bones from the pet store ok to give? I've been wanting to give one to Bowser but didn't know if I should because he's only about 5 months old.

I wouldn't only because I don't know where those bones come from. I doubt it's from human grade meat ya know?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
@Laurie, I make a large batch and freeze individual portions for each meal in small plastic containers or muffin tins. This way I can zap it in the microwave to melt - they go nuts when they hear the microwave beep! I have tried freezing it in larger containers and then thawing in the fridge for several days at a time, but I prefer the smaller portions to thaw daily. The broth usually lasts two to three weeks per batch, but I am feeding two.
No microwave here, gave that up years back(my oldest is not too fond of that decision and my youngests' have NO clue what they are which is funny when we're out at stores)...but I do have my own methods of defrosting/warming up...thx for the tips!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.