What type of treats are best for a puppy?

PixiesMom

Aug 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixie
Hi I have a 10 week old puppy that I want to start training, and I don't kno what type of treats to give her ... someone told me I can give her weenies but to cut them up into small pieces, but I'm not sure if it's safe for her please share what type of treats you used when your baby was a puppy... thank you

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
liver treats worked well my boy had a few allergies so most treats were ruled out more like what he could eat. Hope you find something Pixie likes and enjoy the times ahead don't forget to get pics they grow so fast and Congrats what a cutie pie.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
i would try to stay away from weenies if possible. Too many by products and phosphates in them. Try to stick with all natural and grain free treats like yogurt, apples, bananas, watermelon, natural peanut butter, bell pepper, frozen peas and carrots etc.... Also, introduce only one new item at a time so if there is an allergic reaction you will know what caused it.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I give frozen fruit and veggies. I always have green beans and carrots, and whatever fruit I have or I use frozen. I make treats from things that are safe like yogurt, peanut butter, fruit and veggies. I use rice flower to thicken whatever recipe I'm using then freeze. I have baked and froze need liver and other beef or deer meat. They're happy to get anything really. I just like healthy things and if it's fresh or homemade I don't have to worry about what's in it or if they're gonna have a reaction.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Blueberries and banana too. No weenies. We give ours "Fruitables" treats and they make a soft on that is good to give pups, and once your baby gets older you can get the regular hard ones. Our bullies love them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, when my guys were puppies, I just gave them a piece of their own kibble for a treat or reward when training them. I like to use a piece of kibble, because they are small and you can carry a few in your pocket, or in a baggy, they won't cause weight gain, because it's a small piece, and they won't have an allergic reaction, because it's their own food. Once she is older or on adult food, you can start giving her fruits and vegetables as treats, just make sure as Marine91 mentioned to add one at a time so you'll know which one she may have an allergic reaction to. I give my guys cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries and watermelon, and I give them cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. I don't give them too many store bought treats, because many of them have artificial ingredients, chemicals and preservatives in them. When I do buy store bought treats, I like the Fruitables, Benny Bully Dried Liver, Well ess soft chew treats, or Zukes brand treats. These are all natural. There are also many good recipes on line for simple dog treats made with ingredients like oats, peanut butter, and yogurt. When you make your own, you know what ingredients are in them.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I try to stay away from 'jerky' treats, especially chicken, considering they're always in the news.

My guys are on raw, and we usually get the dehydrated liver treats from costco. They sell them for an amazing price. Other than that, they regularly get a share of whatever fruit we're eating, ie. bananas, watermelon, oranges, apples, etc. NOT GRAPES OR RAISINS!.

Becksok

Aug 16, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
For training my 11 wk old pup I use kibble as well. I will do the easy stuff like sit, stay, come, down with kibble. I do this training right before meal time when she is ready to please. For the harder stuff like go to bed and good potty she gets the special treat (wellness grain free treats). So far so good!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
frozen green beans, kibble or the small/soft Fruitables

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14737]PixiesMom[/MENTION] You have gotten great advice here, from members. Don't listen to "someone" look on EBN when it involves your baby or grown Eng.Bull dog!

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Im feeding Charlie the freeze dried dog treats from Orijen. He's a bit of a bottom dweller, always scavenging for something to eat in the house or outside between meals.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
When Winnie went to her puppy training class, the instructor said to use her own kibble. They really don't care that it is only kibble. She also said I could cut up some cheese into small pieces and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge so that the smells would mix together. But Winnie isn't allergic to anything--I don't know if cheese is a common allergen. I also cut up some real chicken and added it to the mix.

OP
PixiesMom

PixiesMom

Aug 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pixie
liver treats worked well my boy had a few allergies so most treats were ruled out more like what he could eat. Hope you find something Pixie likes and enjoy the times ahead don't forget to get pics they grow so fast and Congrats what a cutie pie.
Aww thanks for the advice I will give them a try...:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.