Thread: I think I will try home-cooking again!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default I think I will try home-cooking again!

When both Tate and Finn had intestinal issues (diarrhea) recently I put both on a home cooked diet of steamed rice and either poached chicken breast or very lean ground beef. Their only snack was a bowl of chicken broth and occasionally, pumpkin and yogurt. Tate was on this regimen for about 2 weeks and I noticed his face looked so much "cleaner"--the tear stains were lightening up and he wasn't tearing so much. When i transitioned him back to his kibble (Earthborn Holistic Lamb) about a week ago, I started noticing the tear stains returning (I also started giving him his usual snacks of dog cookies too).

Now I'm realizing how the food he's been eating has affected his tearing and the stains so I would like to revisit the home-cooking. I know it will take a little more effort on my part but I think it's worth it if it will help with those dreaded tear stains. I think i may also need to stay away from lamb in the future as maybe this protein may not be the best choice for him.

2. Likes bullmama, 2BullyMama, dolphin, Biogirl71 liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I think I will try home-cooking again!

Anything for the bully boys Me thinks they like your home cooking a lot better than the kibble too
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

4. Likes bullmama, cali baker liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It is amazing how they just seem to have a good glow about them on home cooked food.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

6. Likes dolphin, Vikinggirl, cali baker liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Good choice! It may be a little bi more work on the food preparing section, but less on the face cleaning You can also do a big batch at once and freeze a part of it for later use.

8. Likes dolphin, Vikinggirl, cali baker liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I am with you. Home cook is the best. You know the stuff that gets in the food. It just sounds fresher and healthier.
    Hug your bully today

10. Likes cali baker liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yea, Banks did not do well with Lamb either... her eyes watered like crazy.

best of luck... keep us updated on the progress
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes cali baker liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster did awful on lamb and we tried different brands too. If that home cooking works and you are already using the supplements I say stick with it! Good to hear that they are doing good

14. Likes cali baker liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    When both Tate and Finn had intestinal issues (diarrhea) recently I put both on a home cooked diet of steamed rice and either poached chicken breast or very lean ground beef. Their only snack was a bowl of chicken broth and occasionally, pumpkin and yogurt. Tate was on this regimen for about 2 weeks and I noticed his face looked so much "cleaner"--the tear stains were lightening up and he wasn't tearing so much. When i transitioned him back to his kibble (Earthborn Holistic Lamb) about a week ago, I started noticing the tear stains returning (I also started giving him his usual snacks of dog cookies too).

Now I'm realizing how the food he's been eating has affected his tearing and the stains so I would like to revisit the home-cooking. I know it will take a little more effort on my part but I think it's worth it if it will help with those dreaded tear stains. I think i may also need to stay away from lamb in the future as maybe this protein may not be the best choice for him.
    Hi Henny. I'm in the same boat with Dozer at the moment, he is such a mess right now, he is licking his paws until they are soggy like a wet sponge, his eyes are all goopy and he smells yeasty, although I don't see any yeast on him. I think it's coming from his ears. I've put him on Natures Variety Limited Ingredients Vegan dog food to detox him of all proteins.
    So far he's allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and now Lamb. He has been allergic to chicken and salmon since he was a puppy, and was on Fromms Beef Frittata for 2 years before he became allergic to it, we then switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil 9 months ago, and now he's developed an allergy to that food as well. I'm going to give him the Vegan food for 2 or 3 weeks, and then switch him to Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Kangaroo. The idea is to detox his system from all proteins and then introduce a protein that he's never had like Kangaroo or Venison, so his immune system won't recognize it and hopefully he will tolerate it. I'll keep you posted on how he does. If this fails, then my next step would be to try home cooking for him. I used to home cook sometimes but haven't in a while. I used lean ground beef that I browned in a wok with beef stock, then I added a whole bag of frozen California Mix vegetables which contains carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli, I added kidney beans and cooked rice and divided it into 1 cup servings in sandwich baggies and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. My only worry about feeding a home cooked diet long term is that it won't provide the right amount of vitamins, minerals or supplements that they need.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

16. Likes cali baker liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

It may pay off also in the long run and help their intestinal issues. I know you are a great cook, so the boys will be getting gourmet home cooking! Frank didn't do well on lamb either (tear stains, runny poop). Good luck!
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

18. Likes cali baker liked this post

Remove Ads