cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When both Tate and Finn had intestinal issues (diarrhea) recently I put both on a home cooked diet of steamed rice and either poached chicken breast or very lean ground beef. Their only snack was a bowl of chicken broth and occasionally, pumpkin and yogurt. Tate was on this regimen for about 2 weeks and I noticed his face looked so much "cleaner"--the tear stains were lightening up and he wasn't tearing so much. When i transitioned him back to his kibble (Earthborn Holistic Lamb) about a week ago, I started noticing the tear stains returning (I also started giving him his usual snacks of dog cookies too).

Now I'm realizing how the food he's been eating has affected his tearing and the stains so I would like to revisit the home-cooking. I know it will take a little more effort on my part but I think it's worth it if it will help with those dreaded tear stains. I think i may also need to stay away from lamb in the future as maybe this protein may not be the best choice for him. :think:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Anything for the bully boys :) Me thinks they like your home cooking a lot better than the kibble too ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is amazing how they just seem to have a good glow about them on home cooked food.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good choice! It may be a little bi more work on the food preparing section, but less on the face cleaning:D You can also do a big batch at once and freeze a part of it for later use.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yea, Banks did not do well with Lamb either... her eyes watered like crazy.

best of luck... keep us updated on the progress

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster did awful on lamb and we tried different brands too. If that home cooking works and you are already using the supplements I say stick with it! Good to hear that they are doing good :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
When both Tate and Finn had intestinal issues (diarrhea) recently I put both on a home cooked diet of steamed rice and either poached chicken breast or very lean ground beef. Their only snack was a bowl of chicken broth and occasionally, pumpkin and yogurt. Tate was on this regimen for about 2 weeks and I noticed his face looked so much "cleaner"--the tear stains were lightening up and he wasn't tearing so much. When i transitioned him back to his kibble (Earthborn Holistic Lamb) about a week ago, I started noticing the tear stains returning (I also started giving him his usual snacks of dog cookies too).

Now I'm realizing how the food he's been eating has affected his tearing and the stains so I would like to revisit the home-cooking. I know it will take a little more effort on my part but I think it's worth it if it will help with those dreaded tear stains. I think i may also need to stay away from lamb in the future as maybe this protein may not be the best choice for him. :think:

Hi Henny. I'm in the same boat with Dozer at the moment, he is such a mess right now, he is licking his paws until they are soggy like a wet sponge, his eyes are all goopy and he smells yeasty, although I don't see any yeast on him. I think it's coming from his ears. I've put him on Natures Variety Limited Ingredients Vegan dog food to detox him of all proteins.
So far he's allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and now Lamb. He has been allergic to chicken and salmon since he was a puppy, and was on Fromms Beef Frittata for 2 years before he became allergic to it, we then switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil 9 months ago, and now he's developed an allergy to that food as well. I'm going to give him the Vegan food for 2 or 3 weeks, and then switch him to Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Kangaroo. The idea is to detox his system from all proteins and then introduce a protein that he's never had like Kangaroo or Venison, so his immune system won't recognize it and hopefully he will tolerate it. I'll keep you posted on how he does. If this fails, then my next step would be to try home cooking for him. I used to home cook sometimes but haven't in a while. I used lean ground beef that I browned in a wok with beef stock, then I added a whole bag of frozen California Mix vegetables which contains carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli, I added kidney beans and cooked rice and divided it into 1 cup servings in sandwich baggies and put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. My only worry about feeding a home cooked diet long term is that it won't provide the right amount of vitamins, minerals or supplements that they need.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It may pay off also in the long run and help their intestinal issues. I know you are a great cook, so the boys will be getting gourmet home cooking! Frank didn't do well on lamb either (tear stains, runny poop). Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.