Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm having a big problem with Dozer and his allergies. They are really bad again, he is licking his paws until they are soggy, and puffy, his eyes are goopy, and he is itchy. I have been giving him Benadryl, and it helps a little but I need to find a new food for him. I have spoken to my vet, and to the girl who works at the pet food store where I buy my dog food, she has a Boxer with severe allergies and is very knowledgable about them. After speaking to both, I have been told the best thing to do is to detoxify Dozer from all proteins, since he keeps acquiring new protein allergies after being okay on one for months, but then he becomes allergic to it. So far he is showing allergies to Chicken, salmon, beef and now Lamb. I have 3 methods that I can do the detoxifying,

1) I can put him on a bland diet for a month.

2) I can feed him just pumpkin and yogurt for a couple of weeks, or

3) I can place him on a limited ingredient Vegan dog food for a period of 2 weeks, but no
more than a month, and then introduce a limited ingredient food that has a protein that he has never had before and that his body isn't likely to recognize, like Kangaroo or Venison. The idea is that when you reintroduce a unknown protein, the immune system will not recognize and hopefully he will tolerate it. The limited ingredient food that was recommended is Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient or Cavier. I looked up both and Nature's Variety seems like a good food, but the Caviar brand does not have good reviews or ratings and has had some recalls. Has anyone used or is familiar with this brand? Should I detoxify him of proteins, or should I just home cook for him? I'm so confused on what is best, and I feel so bad that he is feeling itchy and miserable.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
apoquel is a miracle pill.. my abbey was same way.. her face was always pink.. paws.. never stopped scratching.. shes looks great now and started helping within a few days.. 11872763_10205935110915921_920630266_n.jpg.. her face looks much better.. use to never be white.. always pink color..

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We had a similar situation with my Harlea and had to do a detox. We transitioned her to The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix with garbanzo beans as her protein and had her on that for a few months to flush her system before reintroducing unprocessed animal proteins. Worked wonders for us as it helped us pin point each protein that was a problem as you control what additional proteins they get with THK base mixes.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor lil love...was going to ask if y'all are trying the Apoquel
but [MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] beat me to it ;)

Sounds like he's used to Benedryl & not working at all to relieve
itchiness or other symptoms either.

Will keep him & you in prayer for relief & solutions.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
I'm having a big problem with Dozer and his allergies. They are really bad again, he is licking his paws until they are soggy, and puffy, his eyes are goopy, and he is itchy. I have been giving him Benadryl, and it helps a little but I need to find a new food for him. I have spoken to my vet, and to the girl who works at the pet food store where I buy my dog food, she has a Boxer with severe allergies and is very knowledgable about them. After speaking to both, I have been told the best thing to do is to detoxify Dozer from all proteins, since he keeps acquiring new protein allergies after being okay on one for months, but then he becomes allergic to it. So far he is showing allergies to Chicken, salmon, beef and now Lamb. I have 3 methods that I can do the detoxifying,

1) I can put him on a bland diet for a month.

2) I can feed him just pumpkin and yogurt for a couple of weeks, or

3) I can place him on a limited ingredient Vegan dog food for a period of 2 weeks, but no
more than a month, and then introduce a limited ingredient food that has a protein that he has never had before and that his body isn't likely to recognize, like Kangaroo or Venison. The idea is that when you reintroduce a unknown protein, the immune system will not recognize and hopefully he will tolerate it. The limited ingredient food that was recommended is Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient or Cavier. I looked up both and Nature's Variety seems like a good food, but the Caviar brand does not have good reviews or ratings and has had some recalls. Has anyone used or is familiar with this brand? Should I detoxify him of proteins, or should I just home cook for him? I'm so confused on what is best, and I feel so bad that he is feeling itchy and miserable.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​

Before medicating him I think it would be helpful to focus on why he is licking his paws, goopy eyes. It's either a food, insect, pollen, environmental allergy and it's safe to say he's a "highly allergic" bulldog, with a hypersensitive immune system that has a damaging response. So I think one's of the most important and safest things you can do ASAP is strength his immune system so that it won't overreact to allergens and also prevent the spread of yeast. For his immune system you can really make a huge difference with herbal supplements such as: Astragalus and Tumeric. Adding coconut oil (for it's antifungal properties) is extremely helpful and avoiding anything that can create yeast (sugars, grains) is really important. I'd put him on a limited raw diet but if that's not possible, you need a very limited ingredient diet. If you want a diet to just maintain him temporarily without an allergic reaction, i would recommend Royal Canine Hypoallergenic Venison Potato. It's just 2 ingredients. Not an ideal lifelong meal plan, but it should maintain him while he heals and you would be able to switch him immediately until you figure out a better long term alternative (you just need a vet to write the Rx.)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had a similar situation with my Harlea and had to do a detox. We transitioned her to The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix with garbanzo beans as her protein and had her on that for a few months to flush her system before reintroducing unprocessed animal proteins. Worked wonders for us as it helped us pin point each protein that was a problem as you control what additional proteins they get with THK base mixes.

:up:

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
do you know if royal canine makes that food in any other flavors mackbob.?. my abbey is on limited ingredients natural balance lamb and rice.. i ask because she cant have sweet potato.. im not sure about just regular potato.. i will get my list out and check.. she don't seem to like the other very well.. so it would be nice to have other options for her.

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I just switched Charlie from Orijen Puppy to their parent company, Acana. We were trying to figure out what was it in his diet that was making him uncomfortable, runny poo's etc...I would hazard to guess it was a chicken allergy.

We had him on a bland diet of rice, turkey, and pumpkin and it worked perfectly. I slowly began the new dog food, Acana's Pork and Butternut squash and so far so good.

Good Luck...IMG_0456.jpg

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
do you know if royal canine makes that food in any other flavors mackbob.?. my abbey is on limited ingredients natural balance lamb and rice.. i ask because she cant have sweet potato.. im not sure about just regular potato.. i will get my list out and check.. she don't seem to like the other very well.. so it would be nice to have other options for her.

punky, actually, my ex's bully was highly allergic to sweet potatoes and the royal canine with regular potato was the only thing that stabilized him. You can try that and add some fish oil and she will likely be all over it!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor ate Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - Hypoallergenic after his soft palate surgery, as the vet thought he might be allergic too, as he scratched himself so badly. That scratching stopped right after the operation so we thought it was probably not allergy after all and he only ate it for a month, perhaps. I must say it was not a great success taste wise with Castor, but his tummy did well on it. He did get more yeast though (under his nose rope) but it it is what vets here suggest when dogs have severe food allergies.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.