Thread: Am I a Tyrant?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Am I a Tyrant?

I've been reading through several of the threads and have noticed that many bullies occasionally get human food of some sort (not fruits/veggies/or homemade food), like table scraps or parts of whatever mom or dad is cooking.

Now, I feel like a tyrant. Goob has NEVER, NEVER been given any food from the table or from the fridge (except for when he needs a bland diet). I don't give this little guy anything. I am so worried that it will upset his stomach, trigger an allergy, or the food might be too sugary that it makes him sick somehow.

I also tell my husband and family to never EVER give him food while they're eating. As a result, Goob doesn't beg for food. He doesn't sit by our feet or whine for anything. I am so proud of him for this but now I feel like a warden! I just know that if I give him an inch, he will take a mile. Huh...it's hard being the bad cop sometimes. The sad part is, once in a while, Goob gives me the "I know you're eating something" face with his head in my lap and I tell him, "You wish big boy. Your puppy eyes don't work on me!" Am I a monster?

-20150703_183150-jpg -20150503_131858-jpg -20150604_012732-jpg -20150412_183447-jpg -20150406_223038-jpg -20150325_220351-jpg
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Am I a Tyrant?

I'm the same. The only human food my boys get is a type of finnish fresh cheese. They smell when the package is opened and come rushing.
    You're not saying that you would like your dog to beg for your food???? Most human foods are not suitable for dogs. Heck, most human foods are not suitable for humans anymore....I feed very strictly raw food and I don't consider my boys deprived of anything. For their treats I have dried tripe and chicken.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I'm the same. The only human food my boys get is a type of finnish fresh cheese. They smell when the package is opened and come rushing.
    You're not saying that you would like your dog to beg for your food???? Most human foods are not suitable for dogs. Heck, most human foods are not suitable for humans anymore....I feed very strictly raw food and I don't consider my boys deprived of anything. For their treats I have dried tripe and chicken.
    Hahaha, oh no! I'm very glad that he doesn't beg! I guess when it comes to their health the best policy is "take no chances."
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

No I don't think you are a tyrant at all… Lol I DO give my dogs some human food, but I give Wally a regular after dinner snack in his bowl @ 8pm. It's usually fruit and maybe some greek yogurt… The problem in MY house is that the hubby likes to give them scrapes and then of course my 3 year old grandson drops food everywhere

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

6. Likes dolphin liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Not a tyrant at all.... you are an excellent Momma! We are the weak ones that give in to those sweet faces
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

8. Likes Texas Carol, dolphin, TyTysmom liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Are you kidding?!! We all should not be giving anything extra other than an
    occasional healthy treat. The begging is out of control, I had to move off the
    sofa the other night because Cami would not leave me alone as I was eating
    my dinner. And Ms Piggy had just finished her dinner! She was pawing my arm,
    hurting me & would not stop. Her crate is in storage otherwise that's where she
    would have gone! She came from a home w/a 5 yr old boy & she was overweigh.
    I got her weight down but then had unexpected problems leading to 4 moves in
    past 2 & 1/2 years. She's gained some of it back due to lack of structure & issues
    of depression on my part. She's 64 lbs and recommitted to getting it off her (she's
    7 now) as it's not healthy! They depend on us, the fault is ours not theirs if they're
    overweight or having other issues we are ignoring (bad behaviors, etc)...WE are
    responsible! Great job! Hope to do as well as you and will report on our progress.
    Issuing a challenge to all EBN'ers who've lost the battle of begging & give in to these
    sad eyes & wrinkled, adorable faces, let's say NO and get these extra pounds off our
    beloveds. Taking that extra weight off their joints, off their organs is life giving and
    many allergies & skin issues may better or even disappear, join me & Fat Cami

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

10. Likes 2BullyMama, Goob14 liked this post
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I have grandechildren so.....my girls snatch: cookies, crackers, chips, whole ice cream cones which usually result in the baby screaming blood murder, gold fish crackers, Amber once stole the whole bowl of chocolate pudding (yeah that was a mess), cheese. You name it and it has been stolen and eaten by my two "angels." They will even hop up on the table if you arent looking to see what they can steal. They are fine, its the grandbaby that ends up worse for wear. lol

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

You are doing the right thing! Why create a monster if you don't have one. You are a good mommy!
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Brie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lula Belle & Big Chief
    Likes (Received)

We're the same way! The only thing my babies get out of the kitchen is cheese to hide their meds in.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

if you are a tyrant @Goob14 then so am I! My dogs do get yogurt on a little dog food,before bed, two little biscuits in their crate at night,and their dog food at mealtime.
    No hand outs,no people food! I am paranoid that they would get sick! Now if I only had that discipline for myself, I could lose some weight!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

15. Likes Goob14 liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Nope, you are just being diligent. Which is very important with bulldogs! It is way better to be safe than sorry and have to deal with an allergic reaction or upset stomach. We are lucky that Frank isn't as sensitive as other bulldogs are to different foods, but when he gets human food, he still only will get plain veggies, fruit, meat, and the occasional french fry.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

17. Likes Goob14 liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

you're not a tyrant! If only I could go back and not give him stuff here and there and have him NOT beg...you're a wonderful mom! Those are really cute pics, I love them.

19. Likes Goob14 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads