Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Sorry for starting another thread on a subject that has been asked a lot. When I first bought Chunky a week ago the breeder had him on purina pro plan lamb and rice which is a small pup food which Petsmart says wasn't what I should feed him and they recommended Royal Canin puppy for bulldogs. His stools have always been on the loose side but now they are mushy. I have given him half purina/half royal canin 3/4 cup 3 times per day for a week now but, I am two days away from being out of the purina i was given by the breeder. I also give him Blue wilderness treats when he uses the yard to go to pee/poop but he now shows no interest in the treats so i just praise him. Could the treats along with the change of food be causing his troubles? I also see that many of you have taken your dogs off of royal canin, is this because it also didn't work well with your dogs?

There is a store located 20 minutes or so from me that sales fromm and Orijen should I switch to one of these?

Chunky is 13 weeks and 17.4lbs :mansfriend:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I would switch, both Fromm and Orijen are great foods i used Fromm puppy and was very pleased if a pup gets to much food they usually have soft ice cream texture or watery poops could also be some sign of allergy.
hoping you find what best works for Chunky White may cost a bit more but far less visits to the vet, better health and no worries.
They also like fruit and veggies mine goes crazy for carrots, celery and likes apples, blueberries,strawberries and cranberries
Coconut oil and fish oil are great for the coat and the immune system
Have fun learning what is best for him and keep track of his allergies - Benadryl a new friend

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@CHUNKyWhite Having been around for many years-and having many different animals, I know that just because someone works in a pet store, does not mean that they are knowledgeable about all things concerning your pets. Purina, and Royal Canin are not the best foods, but some dogs do fine on them. There is a link here about http://English Bulldog Food and Nutrition

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thanks for your replies. I will buy him some better food tomorrow and try feeding him less to see if that helps him. I now have to figure out what to do with 40lbs of royal canin :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think it's so much change so quickly and perhaps, different proteins.
Lay off any treats or additives for now (coconut oil, salmon oil, etc)
and always introduce anything ONE item at a time with 3-4 weeks
between. For now, I'd get PURE pumpkin (not the pie filling) it's at
groceries and add 1 tsp each meal to solidify poop. Make sure pup is
drinking lots of water. Many pups do very well with Fromm's Puppy
& good you can buy close to you. I'd take Royal Canin back & ask
for refund or credit (use for supplies, toys, etc) or donate to Rescue
or Shelter. Buy any food, even Fromm, in smaller bag until you're
sure suits your pup. Use a bit of kibble to reward ;)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for your replies. I will buy him some better food tomorrow and try feeding him less to see if that helps him. I now have to figure out what to do with 40lbs of royal canin :(

Agree, def get him on a better quality food. Purina & RC are not very good. This time when you switch, I would go bland first to give his belly a reset. So just plain boiled chicken or hamburger & boiled rice. You will need to feed more often as its not filling compared to kibble because of fillers. So maybe 4 times a day.... but you could do that for a week, let his belly settle down....make sure his stools firm up.... then you slowly start introducing the kibble with the bland. Fromms & Orijen are great choices! You can also mix in some canned pumpkin when you start introducing the kibble. (This is just what I would do personally, and just chunk the Purina/RC)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Fromm and Orejin are both great foods.... try to get a grain free food too both have grain free lines. And as TyTysmom suggested, bland diet for a few days and then slow transition to the new kibble.

As for the 40lbs of RC... donate it to a local rescue or shelter, although not a great food, those pups need to eat something and it is better than nothing.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thanks TyTysmom and 2BullyMama for the replies. I called my vet today and the recommended fasting him for 24hrs with water and gatorade then starting him on the Orijen I just bought. They said if that if he still has loose bloody stools to bring him in after fasting him. I only gave him he Orijen puppy once so far and he liked it. I will call the local animal shelter about the royal canin.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks TyTysmom and 2BullyMama for the replies. I called my vet today and the recommended fasting him for 24hrs with water and gatorade then starting him on the Orijen I just bought. They said if that if he still has loose bloody stools to bring him in after fasting him. I only gave him he Orijen puppy once so far and he liked it. I will call the local animal shelter about the royal canin.

I know the vet said to fast him, but going bland is just as good, and the poor boy won't be hungry. You can go bland for this week, usually a bag of frozen breasts, and like 4 cups of rice will make the stretch. Then add a little water. After that you can introduce the kibble slowly. Fasting him for a day or two then throwing kibble in will more than likely still produce diarrhea/ upset belly.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I know the vet said to fast him, but going bland is just as good, and the poor boy won't be hungry. You can go bland for this week, usually a bag of frozen breasts, and like 4 cups of rice will make the stretch. Then add a little water. After that you can introduce the kibble slowly. Fasting him for a day or two then throwing kibble in will more than likely still produce diarrhea/ upset belly.

Agree, especially a growing pup. Fasting today was fine but then,
feed him bland diet for a week or two then slowly reduce a bit as
you add a bit of kibble for next week or two. Let us know how he
does on this.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thanks, I gave him only half a cup of the Orijon puppy tonight and i will see how he does for the night. I may fast tomorrow depending on how he does but his last two poops have been better but that could be from feeding him less the last 1-1/2 days. I think i was over feeding him plus transitioning foods. I will go get some groceries tomorrow and go bland if no improvement.

harley 83

Jul 27, 2015
Rome ga
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
zilia
That's sounds like to much for a 17lb puppy zilia is 40lbs and that is what she eats a day I feed her orijen six fish and she does great on it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, I gave him only half a cup of the Orijon puppy tonight and i will see how he does for the night. I may fast tomorrow depending on how he does but his last two poops have been better but that could be from feeding him less the last 1-1/2 days. I think i was over feeding him plus transitioning foods. I will go get some groceries tomorrow and go bland if no improvement.

how is the Chunkster doing today?

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
He did good last night other than going more frequently and it was more solid and less orange. He hasn't went since I fed him at 730 but seems to be feeling well because he has slept little and played a lot which isn't the norm for him. He usually eats then sleeps for 2 hrs after a walk. Luckily I am home all day today so I will keep a good eye on him. He has never let me know when he has to go out Ive just had to watch him but now he does tell me when he has already went which is new and wide awakening at 4 am. :big laugh:

Thanks for asking

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.