Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Charlie was on the Orijen puppy food but had the exact same issues with loose poos etc...it really was a frustrating experience. We switched to their parent company, Acana and their Pork and Butternut squash with a half mix of Acanas Pacifica fish kibble-a little boiled turkey, a teaspoon of real pumpkin and some coconut oil. The results were immediate. Charlie is pooping like a champ! I've never been so happy to scoop poop and his coat is crazy smooth, no gas and a clean bum.

Thanks, i will see what the vet recommends today and will switch again and hopefully he will do well with the new food. Whats the reason for the mix of flavors?

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
No real reason other than what benefits may come from the fish....he's a consumption machine, it could be a horse turd and I don't think he'd mind...

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
The vet says he looks good and that as long as the blood in the stool is bright red not to worry that he probably ate too much grass or something else since he was doing better for a few weeks. No heart trouble or anything else. :D

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am keeping chunky on Orijen puppy for now but, started adding pumpkin to his food and now his Poo schedule has changed. He is not going right after I feed him now and didn't go last night. He went first thing this morning but hasn't all day now. Is this the new normal or is he possibly constipated?

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
You've gotten great advice but I'll just throw some more words in as well.
Opies stool was lose when we got him and switched his food multiple times as a puppy till we finally got something he agreed with. We personally like Blue products. We put him on blue wilderness puppy and his stool was not firming at all and was actually worse. Ended up that food was a little too rich for him. We than put him on blue sensitive and he has been thriving off that ever since.
Also as mentioned over feeding can result in loose stool, we actually over fed Opie to the point he had explosive diarrhea, and that was only adding 1/2 cup more.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am keeping chunky on Orijen puppy for now but, started adding pumpkin to his food and now his Poo schedule has changed. He is not going right after I feed him now and didn't go last night. He went first thing this morning but hasn't all day now. Is this the new normal or is he possibly constipated?

I scanned through the thread to see, but I may have missed it.... which protein are you feeding and how much at each meal? Also, how much pumpkin are you giving... pure pumpkin, right?

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I scanned through the thread to see, but I may have missed it.... which protein are you feeding and how much at each meal? Also, how much pumpkin are you giving... pure pumpkin, right?

I am feeding orijen puppy in yellow bag and I believe its 80 protein and 20 vegetable 3/4 cup three times per day and I am giving him 1tsp of pumpkin at breakfast.

Is this what i should be feeding him or is it too much protein or food? I looked at the Acana and Fromm all life stages foods but, wanted to keep him on puppy food for a few more months before switching.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am feeding orijen puppy in yellow bag and I believe its 80 protein and 20 vegetable 3/4 cup three times per day and I am giving him 1tsp of pumpkin at breakfast.

Is this what i should be feeding him or is it too much protein or food? I looked at the Acana and Fromm all life stages foods but, wanted to keep him on puppy food for a few more months before switching.

Should stay on puppy till at least 6 mths... Add some water to the kibble maybe he is not getting enough
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] --- any ideas?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How long has he had the bloody diarrhea for? On and off since you started this thread? If so, did the vet at least do a fecal test?

I know you said your vet wasn't worried because it was bright red which generally implies a tear, but if he's had it on and off for weeks, that's definitely cause for concern.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
How long has he had the bloody diarrhea for? On and off since you started this thread? If so, did the vet at least do a fecal test?

I know you said your vet wasn't worried because it was bright red which generally implies a tear, but if he's had it on and off for weeks, that's definitely cause for concern.

He had bloody stools off and on the first week I had him then one day last week. I think he ate something he shouldn't have last week and he is doing better the last few days. The vet didn't do any fecal test and didn't seem worried about it at all when I mentioned it. He still has soft serve ice cream like poo's though but his frequency is down now to 2-3 times per day usually within an hour of eating.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He had bloody stools off and on the first week I had him then one day last week. I think he ate something he shouldn't have last week and he is doing better the last few days. The vet didn't do any fecal test and didn't seem worried about it at all when I mentioned it. He still has soft serve ice cream like poo's though but his frequency is down now to 2-3 times per day usually within an hour of eating.

Interesting that he had it when you first got him.
Mine had bloody diarrhea after his neuter/brachy surgery.
The vet said it was stress induced colitis and put him on Metronidazole. Cleared right up.

I'm guessing going to a new home is definitely stressful on a puppy. Wonder if he had the same thing.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am probably to blame for the bloody pop when I first got him. I switched him from purina to royal canin and was feeding him too much.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Diarrhea from switching is common- but it shouldn't be bloody.

I don't know then. His potty breaks are getting to more normal times and look more consistent too what they should look like. I say this because for the 4th night now he hasn't went in the middle of the night, just right after eating and his short morning walk. I have never had an issue with other dogs with the bloody poops. Not even the female bulldog I got when i was 17. We definitely overfed her since we let her eat what she could in ten minutes and then put her bowl up until the next meal. I guess really since he went to the vet he hasn't had blood in his poop, so maybe he needed whatever was in his shots. IDK

Is 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day the correct amount to feed him and could the Orijen puppy have to much protein?

Thanks for the help and the comments

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think the amount is fine [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ?

As far as the protein content, I'm a firm believer in Raw feeding which is all or mostly a meat based diet. So no, I don't see a problem with high protein kibble.
BUT, that's not to say that maybe your pupp can't handle that much protein. Each dog is different.

You can try cutting the food back by 1/4-1/2 cup a day because overfeeding a puppy also causes diarrhea.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.