Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 37 to 46 of 46

Thread: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

  1. #37
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,784
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2592

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I scanned through the thread to see, but I may have missed it.... which protein are you feeding and how much at each meal? Also, how much pumpkin are you giving... pure pumpkin, right?
    I am feeding orijen puppy in yellow bag and I believe its 80 protein and 20 vegetable 3/4 cup three times per day and I am giving him 1tsp of pumpkin at breakfast.

    Is this what i should be feeding him or is it too much protein or food? I looked at the Acana and Fromm all life stages foods but, wanted to keep him on puppy food for a few more months before switching.
    Last edited by Chunky White; 09-08-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added more to my reply

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  2. #38
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11505

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I am feeding orijen puppy in yellow bag and I believe its 80 protein and 20 vegetable 3/4 cup three times per day and I am giving him 1tsp of pumpkin at breakfast.

    Is this what i should be feeding him or is it too much protein or food? I looked at the Acana and Fromm all life stages foods but, wanted to keep him on puppy food for a few more months before switching.
    Should stay on puppy till at least 6 mths... Add some water to the kibble maybe he is not getting enough
    @nycbullymama --- any ideas?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #39
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    How long has he had the bloody diarrhea for? On and off since you started this thread? If so, did the vet at least do a fecal test?

    I know you said your vet wasn't worried because it was bright red which generally implies a tear, but if he's had it on and off for weeks, that's definitely cause for concern.


  4. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
  5. #40
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,784
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2592

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    How long has he had the bloody diarrhea for? On and off since you started this thread? If so, did the vet at least do a fecal test?

    I know you said your vet wasn't worried because it was bright red which generally implies a tear, but if he's had it on and off for weeks, that's definitely cause for concern.
    He had bloody stools off and on the first week I had him then one day last week. I think he ate something he shouldn't have last week and he is doing better the last few days. The vet didn't do any fecal test and didn't seem worried about it at all when I mentioned it. He still has soft serve ice cream like poo's though but his frequency is down now to 2-3 times per day usually within an hour of eating.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  6. #41
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    He had bloody stools off and on the first week I had him then one day last week. I think he ate something he shouldn't have last week and he is doing better the last few days. The vet didn't do any fecal test and didn't seem worried about it at all when I mentioned it. He still has soft serve ice cream like poo's though but his frequency is down now to 2-3 times per day usually within an hour of eating.
    Interesting that he had it when you first got him.
    Mine had bloody diarrhea after his neuter/brachy surgery.
    The vet said it was stress induced colitis and put him on Metronidazole. Cleared right up.

    I'm guessing going to a new home is definitely stressful on a puppy. Wonder if he had the same thing.


  7. #42
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,784
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2592

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    I am probably to blame for the bloody pop when I first got him. I switched him from purina to royal canin and was feeding him too much.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  8. #43
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I am probably to blame for the bloody pop when I first got him. I switched him from purina to royal canin and was feeding him too much.
    Diarrhea from switching is common- but it shouldn't be bloody.


  9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  10. #44
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,784
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2592

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Diarrhea from switching is common- but it shouldn't be bloody.
    I don't know then. His potty breaks are getting to more normal times and look more consistent too what they should look like. I say this because for the 4th night now he hasn't went in the middle of the night, just right after eating and his short morning walk. I have never had an issue with other dogs with the bloody poops. Not even the female bulldog I got when i was 17. We definitely overfed her since we let her eat what she could in ten minutes and then put her bowl up until the next meal. I guess really since he went to the vet he hasn't had blood in his poop, so maybe he needed whatever was in his shots. IDK

    Is 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day the correct amount to feed him and could the Orijen puppy have to much protein?

    Thanks for the help and the comments

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  11. #45
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    I think the amount is fine @bullmama ?

    As far as the protein content, I'm a firm believer in Raw feeding which is all or mostly a meat based diet. So no, I don't see a problem with high protein kibble.
    BUT, that's not to say that maybe your pupp can't handle that much protein. Each dog is different.

    You can try cutting the food back by 1/4-1/2 cup a day because overfeeding a puppy also causes diarrhea.


  12. Likes 2BullyMama, bullmama liked this post
  13. #46
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: New pup having loose bowels. Need help

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I think the amount is fine @bullmama ?

    As far as the protein content, I'm a firm believer in Raw feeding which is all or mostly a meat based diet. So no, I don't see a problem with high protein kibble.
    BUT, that's not to say that maybe your pupp can't handle that much protein. Each dog is different.

    You can try cutting the food back by 1/4-1/2 cup a day because overfeeding a puppy also causes diarrhea.
    Agreed, try cutting back a little.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •