Thoughts on dried esophagus treats???

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Hi everyone!! I'm new to the bulldog community. We just got our baby boy Lockjaw a month ago. He will be 12 weeks on Sunday. He is an absolute pleasure! We recently got him a Bark Box and there was a dried esophagus in there. I know they aren't supposed to have raw hides- but does this fit that category since it is hollow and pretty thin? I read it's a great source of protein and also has glucosamine for joints. :D

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Personally I wouldn't use them as they can still splinter but if you watch him closely he will most likely be fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm with Todd on this, I wouldn't risk using these as you described them as hollow and thin, they could break and splinter.
If Lockjaw is anything like my guys they don't chew really well, they tend to inhale their food and treats, so this could be dangerous if they had sharp ends. I usually don't give my guys any store bought treats other than Fruitables, Wellness Soft Chew Treats, or Benny Bully Dried Liver, and even these I break in half. Their treats are usually fruits like bananas,
cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
We have tried them. I supervised while Tank munched. There didn't seem to be a problem with him eating it, but I would still supervise cuz I'm paranoid. He did get diarrhea after. I can't say for sure it was the trachy though. There were some other factors involved.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs get nothing like that. I would wonder if the esophagus is a U.S.A. product, or out of country.Foreign such as China,Brazil, etc. have no restrictions with additives. I have never gotten a Bark box.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Personally I wouldn't use them as they can still splinter but if you watch him closely he will most likely be fine.

agreed!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
IMHO those remind me of pig ears to much and we had a Pug that when we gave her pig ears she got incredibly explosive diarrhea, we avoid all of that.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thanks everyone! Yea- I think that's going to the dump. Don't want to risk it! Especially with him still being so young. :no:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online