How much to feed

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
So our pup Tiberius is about 16wks old and weighs just over 26lbs and we have been upping his food a bit. He eats twice a day 1.5cups a feed does this sound right? He just seems hungry. He does get treats during the day and he always cleans his bowl. Today the vet referred to him as chunky.... I mean he is thick by not fat. Right now we are feeding the Merrick Grain free puppy formula though once the bag is empty with the Purina buyout we are thinking of switching. I have attached two picks so you can kinda see his size. My daughter holding him is maybe 50lbs soaking wet.
79e8ec331986d2c58b5f7015290be041.jpg
a9c51f32f83ba595bbe4950adfcd35d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14543]ldenne[/MENTION] Your little girl is soooo pretty! To me your pup looks perfect. Most pups are always hungry. Two of my grown bullies are like great whites. If I drop anything,they come running because they figure it might be food. I have to be quick on the "pick up!" He is, and will be a beautiful boy! You could also give him some green beans,as a snack if he is hungry!:D

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks - she loves having her picture taken [emoji1]. he definitely loves his food anytime anyone goes near the kitchen he runs in there and sits and stares at them with a look like ' hey aren't you going to get me something'. He loves bananas and frozen pineapples and I have made some frozen treats dunces it's so hot out with mixtures (not with everything just varying) of peanut butter, pumpkin, banana, yogurt, and he loves them. Also carrots I'll have to try the frozen green beans hadn't thought of that I'm still learning what 'human' foods are safe - I have a list of unsafe items of the fridge for my kids so they don't give him something he shouldn't have.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Most pups would eat until they pop and bullys look chunky to some "uneducated" people even when they're not. It is not good to feed too much and let them get fat, but she looks just perfect. You should be able to feel her ribs, but not really see them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Lauren, Tiberius looks fine to me. A good way to tell if your Bully is a good weight is to look at him from the top, he should have a well defined waist, and when you feel his sides, you should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.

3 cups of food is a good amount for a puppy to eat, and at 1.5 cups twice a day which is what you are feeding him, so he's getting that. I fed our guys 1 cup three times a day when they were puppies, and when they turned 7 months old, I switched them to an adult dogfood ( we feed Fromms Lamb and Lentil), and we reduced their food to 1 cup twice a day feelings at the same time. Maybe he wouldn't be so hungry if you spaced out his 3 cups of kibble into 3 feelings a day, 1 cup in the morning, 1 cup in the afternoon, and 1 cup in the evening, that way there wouldn't be such a long gap between his breakfast and dinner, and he would still be getting the same amount of food throughout the day.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks - I'll talk with my husband about the three a day feeds I think we started twice a day so that when school starts we knew that he would be on a schedule since I work during the day and my husband will have some classes in the middle of the day (he works evenings and weekends). I have been giving some Fromms treats and he loves them I have been happy with the quality so I may try the food when we switch over - we only have two Pet stores in our town (fairly small) that sell good quality food and that selection while not super limited is still limited to what they have. I think it depends on how he's standing to how he looks from the top sometimes I think he looks to thin but maybe it's cause he's leaning forward - like in the first picture. In the second one he is standing up more straight. Sorry if I seem to have a lot of questions he's our first bulldog and I haven't had a puppy in over ten years - my last one was a Rott. that at four months caught Parvo and we ended up having to put her down it took a long time before I wanted a pup and then with kids and such we wanted them to be ready and our schedules to be fair to have time for him :) and before that I had mix breeds growing up. My husband grew up with mix breed labs and full breed huskies.
43a39ea0adfa2f6ada675b94734e577e.jpg
1654ae344be9d964409ececee3fccd6e.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks - I'll talk with my husband about the three a day feeds I think we started twice a day so that when school starts we knew that he would be on a schedule since I work during the day and my husband will have some classes in the middle of the day (he works evenings and weekends). I have been giving some Fromms treats and he loves them I have been happy with the quality so I may try the food when we switch over - we only have two Pet stores in our town (fairly small) that sell good quality food and that selection while not super limited is still limited to what they have. I think it depends on how he's standing to how he looks from the top sometimes I think he looks to thin but maybe it's cause he's leaning forward - like in the first picture. In the second one he is standing up more straight. Sorry if I seem to have a lot of questions he's our first bulldog and I haven't had a puppy in over ten years - my last one was a Rott. that at four months caught Parvo and we ended up having to put her down it took a long time before I wanted a pup and then with kids and such we wanted them to be ready and our schedules to be fair to have time for him :) and before that I had mix breeds growing up. My husband grew up with mix breed labs and full breed huskies.
43a39ea0adfa2f6ada675b94734e577e.jpg
1654ae344be9d964409ececee3fccd6e.jpg

He looks perfect to me, he does have that well defined waist. You want to keep him on the leaner side, because it's better for his joints and breathing, but at the same time you don't want him to be too skinny either. Your schedule is fine and it works for you, he's still getting 3 cups a day, so he's getting enough. I am fortunate to be home, so i could feed them 3 times a day, and now we feed them 2 times a day. He's already 16 months old, so in 2 to 3 months he will be 6 or 7 months and will be ready to transition to an adult dogfood, and then you will be reducing his food to two feelings a day anyway.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can also give him some toppers and supplements. I add 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to the morning kibble, which provides Probiotics. These are good for digestion and for boosting the immune system. I also give my guys vegetable toppers on their evening kibble. I add cooked carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans or whatever vegetable we are having for dinner. This helps fill them up, but doesn't add any calories. You can also give him snacks like fresh fruit, I give my guys cut up apples, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon for treats.
If you decide to add any of these extras, make sure to add one at a time and for at least a week, that way if he's allergic or doesn't tolerate one of them, you will know right away which one caused the reaction.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] for the info. I am glad I found this forum and through reading have found a lot of info, even though I haven't posted a lot. I also today at the vets saw the first other bulldog there, they said he was the first they had seen too.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Then you may want to look for another vet. It is always better if they have experience on the breed. Too many times vets make mistakes with bulldogs they're really not just dogs they're bulldogs and a lot that applyes with another breed doesnt apply with bulldogs....

Thanks @Vikinggirl for the info. I am glad I found this forum and through reading have found a lot of info, even though I haven't posted a lot. I also today at the vets saw the first other bulldog there, they said he was the first they had seen too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome! Tiberius is freakin adorable!

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Then you may want to look for another vet. It is always better if they have experience on the breed. Too many times vets make mistakes with bulldogs they're really not just dogs they're bulldogs and a lot that applyes with another breed doesnt apply with bulldogs....

The first few times we went we saw a different vet at the office and she seemed more knowledgeable- today we saw someone else - when we go back I'm going to see if I can request her, she talked more about seeing his waist and not his ribs etc gave more info on his breed. They said we don't have to be back for a year unless he needs anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.