Help Needed! Possible food allergy?

emily3

Jul 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Hi, okay so a week or two ago I switched my 12 week old puppy from Royal Canin to Merrick grain free puppy recipe. However. For the past few days he has had bad diarrhea. He poops often and when he does, it is a decent amount and it's becoming mucousy (sorry no). After the initial "load" he keeps wanting to go but nothing happens. But his appetite and everything is normal. He's a pig :) he has been acting funny. He isn't biting and teething as much, and he likes to be scratched more than normal. That might sound odd but he loves to go for my hands. He doesn't try and nibble anymore, he just enjoys it. He also has thrown up twice within the past week right after eating, a few days apart. When I first got him at 8 weeks, I didn't know he had parvo and I found out a day or two after I brought him home. Thank god he pulled through. So it really makes me worry if it's just something simple like he ate something outside or food related or if it's something serious like an illness. And since I've had him his stools have been kind of loose due to parvo and recovering from that. There was a brief period right when I switched him where they were normal, but now it's worse than before. He's going to the vet in 2 days, I figured I would post this in the meantime.

Do you think this is a food allergy/intolerance? And if so, are there any recommendations as to what I should put him on instead?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many people here use Fromm. I use Taste of the Wild. It seems that I have read several times, that people's pup have had that problem with Merrick food for some reason.
The Merrick may not agree with him. When you switch food, do it gradually,mixing a little of the new,with the old, and gradually increasing the new.You are very lucky that your Bowser survived Parvo. To help firm up his stools, you could give him about a tablespoon of pumpkin-just plain,not pie mix,with his food. Hope he checks out okay at the vet!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor baby and you too and so very lucky indeed to survive Parvo.

I'm not fond of Merrick for puppies and now, they've been bought
by Purina so not going to rec'md them. Since you're dealing with
Parvo aftermath, not sure of advice. Will tag the breeders here to
help you.

Keep us updated & can give pure pumpkin, it's canned but not the
pie mix, put into ice trays, after frozen put into plastic ziplock bag
& keep in freezer for future use. It can be used for constipation too,
odd I know, use for loose stools and/or constipation.

Actually, I don't think it'll hurt to stop Merrick and give him bland diet
for a couple weeks. Boil ground hamburger, drain well, mix with plain
white rice. Add a TBSP of pure pumpkin (or an ice cube of it). Make sure
he's keeping hydrated well, regular ice cubes, beef broth, plain pedialyte.

I send love & prayers for y'all.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi Emily - like Lynn & Carol mentioned - it could be the new food. Did you do a slow gradual switch? You have to switch food very slowly with these guys gradually introducing the new and phasing out the old. If not, then tummy & diarrhea issues will occur. I would also try feed him elevated if possible. Raise his bowl to where its semi even with his neck/head, it makes for better digestion. Merrick was recently bought by Purina, not good. If you decide to switch him again, please take [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] advice and go bland for a bit to settle his belly, then slowly start to introduce the new kibble day by day ....with a little canned pumpkin, keep us posted on your baby.

OP
emily3

emily3

Jul 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Good advice above from the guys. Also, be sure your vet checks for parasites. They can also cause mucousy loose stools.

when he went in for parvo, they found roundworms too. I just gave him a bath also, and noticed he has a small umbilical hernia.. I feel like I just didn't get him from a good breeder. I did my research but, oh well. I love him to pieces, hes adorable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
when he went in for parvo, they found roundworms too. I just gave him a bath also, and noticed he has a small umbilical hernia.. I feel like I just didn't get him from a good breeder. I did my research but, oh well. I love him to pieces, hes adorable.

How is he doing today? Any better

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.