SmooshyFace04

Aug 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all,

I've read a lot about the benefits of giving your dog a tablespoon of ACV to their food or water and thought I would give it a try. I added just over a teaspoon to his food, thinking of starting him slow to get used to the taste. He ate everything fine but 2 hours after eating I noticed he was really bloated, way more than he ever has been, and his muzzle was pink. I watched for signs of GDV and none were present and after giving him a gas-ex it slowly started to go down. Since the ACV is the only new item added to the food I'm thinking he had an allergic reaction of some kind or I did it wrong. If you add the ACV to their food, do you have to dilute it first with equal parts water? Not sure what happened but it freaked me out.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it's quite possible he could be allergic to the ACV or an ingredient in it, especially since he showed the symptoms after he had some, and this was the only new thing in his diet. Every Bully is different in what they tolerate and how sensitive they are. I know there are other members who have Bullies that are allergic to ACV. I would stop giving him the ACV and keep an eye on him to see if he improves, you could also give him a Benedryl if his symptoms don't subside. Please keep us Posted on how he's doing.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have to watch how much to give our Wheezie, she gets sick and throws up if she has to much.We rinse them after baths with ACV and water.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have to watch how much to give our Wheezie, she gets sick and throws up if she has to much.We rinse them after baths with ACV and water.

Hi Christie, I was just going to tell you that you can use plain white vinegar and warm water for rinsing Wheezie after a bath. ACV is for adding to the kibble or the water for the health benefits, you don't need this for the skin and fur.
ACV is expensive for this use, but you can buy a big jug of white vinegar for less than $2.00, and you can use this for rinsing after her bath.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, it's quite possible he could be allergic to the ACV or an ingredient in it, especially since he showed the symptoms after he had some, and this was the only new thing in his diet. Every Bully is different in what they tolerate and how sensitive they are. I know there are other members who have Bullies that are allergic to ACV. I would stop giving him the ACV and keep an eye on him to see if he improves, you could also give him a Benedryl if his symptoms don't subside. Please keep us Posted on how he's doing.

:up: agreed!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hi Christie, I was just going to tell you that you can use plain white vinegar and warm water for rinsing Wheezie after a bath. ACV is for adding to the kibble or the water for the health benefits, you don't need this for the skin and fur.
ACV is expensive for this use, but you can buy a big jug of white vinegar for less than $2.00, and you can use this for rinsing after her bath.
Lol..that does make perfect sense.Good grief I'm losing it.Thank you for guiding me along when my brain leaves me :)

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hnmmm my brain is not quite there then, why the vinegar post-bath?

Not that I've bathed Winslow anytime recently :rofl: just wondering!

OP
S

SmooshyFace04

Aug 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He came through it fine. Slept on my foot the whole time as I watched and willed him to fart or something so the bloating would go down. Luckily nothing happened as i would have felt so bad and i just learned to embrace my neurotic bully mom ways a little more. Thankfully he tolerates them well. :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hnmmm my brain is not quite there then, why the vinegar post-bath?

Not that I've bathed Winslow anytime recently :rofl: just wondering!

You can use equal parts warm water and white vinegar as a final rinse after shampooing and rinsing off the shampoo. it is very good for the skin and fur, and it keeps them smelling nice longer in between their baths. My hubby suffers from Psoriasis in his scalp sometimes, and rinsing his scalp with warm water and vinegar gets rid of the flakes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.