Thread: Are there any Prescription Diets available other than Hill's Science Diet ?

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Are there any Prescription Diets available other than Hill's Science Diet ?

My Veterinarian called me today to let me know my Bulldog's Labwork came back Normal.
    She indicated that because of his Weight (81-lbs) she would like me to talk to my Vet Dermatologist
    about a Prescription Diet, or possibly see a Nutritionist to see if they can "create" a Diet or dog food
    for my Bulldog to help him lose weight. My Bulldog will not eat any of the Hill's Science Diet foods.
    So I don't know what can be done to help Maximus lose more weight.

Any thoughts about this from anyone ?

Thanks.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are there any Prescription Diets available other than Hill's Science Diet ?

I think you are feeding Fromm's, right? Look into their senior food, it may be the way to goo for Maximus. See if either of these are an option based on his allergies:

Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are there any Prescription Diets available other than Hill's Science Diet ?

I agree with @2BullyMama. The lower the fat content the better. As far as snacks goes...Fromm has some low-fat (Crude fat 5%) treats. For Jewel, she is on a low fat diet (secondary to pancreatitis) and currently is on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. BTW Jewel doesn't like the Hill's either.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm. Possibly. The Vet wants me to talk to the Vet Dermatologist about a Prescription Diet, or speak to the Nutritionist to see if they can "create" a Diet for Maximus. He is still on the Apoquel and Ketoconazole. He is 81-lbs (He lost 6-lbs). The Vet wants him to lose more
    weight. I just don't know how to go about getting Maximus to lose more weight. He is very inactive - and this time of year, he does not go outside with the Heat we have experienced this Summer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I myself don't agree 100% with the less fat feeding. I think carbohydrates are the ones you need to cut. Dogs main source of energy is fat, and if they're extra active carbs are needed. I feed my bullys raw food with hardly any carbs(only veggies), but quite a lot of fat....-11666136_10153444962989726_6920254516290067021_n-jpgMy older boy was castrated awhile ago and I still feed him the same amount and he hasn't gained any weight.

8. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

How much dry food do you feed your Bulldogs ?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I would stay with his current food if he is tolerating it and has no issues with allergies. Some of these guys are so sensitive to foods and suffer with allergies or intolerances, so if you find a good quality food that works try to stay with it.
    I would just reduce his food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day from 1 cup twice a day and then make up the difference in volume of food with veggie toppers. I give our guys cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or squash, usually whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, and I just cook extra for them and put it on their evening kibble. He will still be getting his kibble, but he will be filled up with the vegetables without adding a lot of calories. Plus they are a healthy choice.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, I would stay with his current food if he is tolerating it and has no issues with allergies. Some of these guys are so sensitive to foods and suffer with allergies or intolerances, so if you find a good quality food that works try to stay with it.
    I would just reduce his food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day from 1 cup twice a day and then make up the difference in volume of food with veggie toppers. I give our guys cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or squash, usually whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, and I just cook extra for them and put it on their evening kibble. He will still be getting his kibble, but he will be filled up with the vegetables without adding a lot of calories. Plus they are a healthy choice.
    This is what I did with Monty when he needed to lose and he has now lost a total of 7 lbs from when we first got him. He is not an active dog either. His vet said he likes bully's "lean and mean"!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

12. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I myself don't agree 100% with the less fat feeding. I think carbohydrates are the ones you need to cut. Dogs main source of energy is fat, and if they're extra active carbs are needed. I feed my bullys raw food with hardly any carbs(only veggies), but quite a lot of fat....-11666136_10153444962989726_6920254516290067021_n-jpgMy older boy was castrated awhile ago and I still feed him the same amount and he hasn't gained any weight.

I agree with Riisi on this one. Carbs is what you need to cut out. Look for a food that is low carb & low glycemic, but high in protein. This will help him lean out. We have Tyson on Orijen (Six Fish & Regional Red) -- check them out and read the nutritional values.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I now have Maximus on FROMM WEIGHT MANAGEMENT dog food. It is Ocean Fish flavored and Grain Free. Maximus likes it. So I am slowly
    introducing the food for him. We'll see what happens. ...

15. Likes TyTysmom liked this post

Remove Ads