Are there any Prescription Diets available other than Hill's Science Diet ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Veterinarian called me today to let me know my Bulldog's Labwork came back Normal.
She indicated that because of his Weight (81-lbs) she would like me to talk to my Vet Dermatologist
about a Prescription Diet, or possibly see a Nutritionist to see if they can "create" a Diet or dog food
for my Bulldog to help him lose weight. My Bulldog will not eat any of the Hill's Science Diet foods.
So I don't know what can be done to help Maximus lose more weight.

Any thoughts about this from anyone ?

Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. The lower the fat content the better. As far as snacks goes...Fromm has some low-fat (Crude fat 5%) treats. For Jewel, she is on a low fat diet (secondary to pancreatitis) and currently is on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. BTW Jewel doesn't like the Hill's either.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hmmm. Possibly. The Vet wants me to talk to the Vet Dermatologist about a Prescription Diet, or speak to the Nutritionist to see if they can "create" a Diet for Maximus. He is still on the Apoquel and Ketoconazole. He is 81-lbs (He lost 6-lbs). The Vet wants him to lose more
weight. I just don't know how to go about getting Maximus to lose more weight. He is very inactive - and this time of year, he does not go outside with the Heat we have experienced this Summer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I myself don't agree 100% with the less fat feeding. I think carbohydrates are the ones you need to cut. Dogs main source of energy is fat, and if they're extra active carbs are needed. I feed my bullys raw food with hardly any carbs(only veggies), but quite a lot of fat.... 11666136_10153444962989726_6920254516290067021_n.jpgMy older boy was castrated awhile ago and I still feed him the same amount and he hasn't gained any weight.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I would stay with his current food if he is tolerating it and has no issues with allergies. Some of these guys are so sensitive to foods and suffer with allergies or intolerances, so if you find a good quality food that works try to stay with it.
I would just reduce his food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day from 1 cup twice a day and then make up the difference in volume of food with veggie toppers. I give our guys cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or squash, usually whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, and I just cook extra for them and put it on their evening kibble. He will still be getting his kibble, but he will be filled up with the vegetables without adding a lot of calories. Plus they are a healthy choice.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Hi, I would stay with his current food if he is tolerating it and has no issues with allergies. Some of these guys are so sensitive to foods and suffer with allergies or intolerances, so if you find a good quality food that works try to stay with it.
I would just reduce his food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day from 1 cup twice a day and then make up the difference in volume of food with veggie toppers. I give our guys cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, or squash, usually whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, and I just cook extra for them and put it on their evening kibble. He will still be getting his kibble, but he will be filled up with the vegetables without adding a lot of calories. Plus they are a healthy choice.

This is what I did with Monty when he needed to lose and he has now lost a total of 7 lbs from when we first got him. He is not an active dog either. His vet said he likes bully's "lean and mean"!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I myself don't agree 100% with the less fat feeding. I think carbohydrates are the ones you need to cut. Dogs main source of energy is fat, and if they're extra active carbs are needed. I feed my bullys raw food with hardly any carbs(only veggies), but quite a lot of fat....View attachment 89754My older boy was castrated awhile ago and I still feed him the same amount and he hasn't gained any weight.

I agree with Riisi on this one. Carbs is what you need to cut out. Look for a food that is low carb & low glycemic, but high in protein. This will help him lean out. We have Tyson on Orijen (Six Fish & Regional Red) -- check them out and read the nutritional values.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I now have Maximus on FROMM WEIGHT MANAGEMENT dog food. It is Ocean Fish flavored and Grain Free. Maximus likes it. So I am slowly
introducing the food for him. We'll see what happens. ...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.