Help Needed! Picking food/treats for my new puppy!

BreakfastAtMe

Jun 21, 2015
North Dakota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill
I will soon be picking up my new puppy and need some help. I was planning on feeding him Nature's Variety but after comparing prices to other brands, I think I would rather go with Fromm. I would also like to hear if anyone is happy with other brands that can be bought at petco or petsmart. What would be the best kind for a 12 week old? I am also wondering what are some good treats? Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I will soon be picking up my new puppy and need some help. I was planning on feeding him Nature's Variety but after comparing prices to other brands, I think I would rather go with Fromm. I would also like to hear if anyone is happy with other brands that can be bought at petco or petsmart. What would be the best kind for a 12 week old? I am also wondering what are some good treats? Thanks!

hi and Welcome to EBN. Congratulations on getting your new baby Churchill. You will love being owned by a Bully, and you will love this site. There are tons of great forums, and lots of great people who are always willing to answer your questions, give advice, and share their experiences.

I am am not familiar with the Nature's Variety brand of food, we feed our guys Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. We had to switch foods 4 times due to allergies to chicken, salmon and beef. Fromm's is an excellent choice, but you can't go wrong with any of the 4 to 6 Star rated foods on the Dog Food Ratings page. Some examples are Blue Buffalo, Orijen, Go Natural, And Wellness. I don't believe Fromms is available at the stores you mentioned, at least not here in Canada. We buy our Fromms from Global Pets. You want to feed your puppy a good quality puppy kibble until they are 6 or 7 months old, as puppy foods provide the extra nutrition, vitamins, minerals and calories for a growing puppy. You can switch him to an adult food when he is 6 or 7 months old. They really don't need too many extra treats as a puppy, too many extras may give him an upset tummy, but if you are wanting to use a treat for praising him or training him, or bribing him. Lol, you can just give him a piece of his own kibble. When he is a little older, you can start giving him some treats or toppings.
I don't tend to give too many store bought treats due to their allergies, plus a lot of the treats have extra chemicals, preservatives and fillers that aren't good for your dog. I do buy the Wellness soft treats, Benny Bully dried Liver, and Fruitables, since these are all natural and limited ingredients. I also give them a piece of their own kibble as a treat.

I give them fresh fruit like cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, and bananas as treats, and veggies as toppers for their evening kibble. I give them cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans, usually what ever we are having for dinner that night. I also give my guys some natural supplements as such as I add 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble for the Probiotics. This is good for digestion and for boosting the immune system. I add 1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, so is good for joints and for preventing disease, it is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal which kills the bad bacteria in the body so also boosts the immune system. I also add 1 tsp. of Coconut Oil to their evening kibble for the Omega Fatty Acids. You can also use salmon oil or cod liver oil instead. This is good for their skin and coats, for the joints and bones and also for the brain. I like these things because they are natural and inexpensive and have no side effects. If you decide to add fruits, vegetables, or any or some of the supplements above, I would wait until he is a little older, and you have established a food that he tolerates before adding anything new, plus when you do introduce anything new to his diet, it's best to start one at a time and for a week before introducing a new one, that way you will know exactly which one he tolerates, and which one he doesn't, and if he's allergic to one of them you will know right away which one it is. I hope to see more of you and Churchill on here and please share lots of pictures of him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We buy Wellness Apple and Yogurt treats fron Petco & petsmart.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use Wetnoses grain free Kale Chips and Cloud Star grain free treats.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Taste of the Wild, I think is available at those two stores... a few members feed this and have very good results.

Treats -- we use, frozen green beans, their kibble of Fruitable (skinny minis)

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
We have used some Fromm treats and he loves them. I have also made a few frozen ones banana mixed with peanut butter frozen or pumpkin and peanut butter. Just put in an ice cup tray I use a silicone one it's easier to pop them out and they are slightly smaller then regular ice cubes. Our guy loves them. He actually goes into the kitchen any time we do and looks at the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Taste of the Wild, I think is available at those two stores... a few members feed this and have very good results.

Treats -- we use, frozen green beans, their kibble of Fruitable (skinny minis)

I use Taste of the Wild, as I live in a small town, and it is available at Tractor Supply. My dogs love it. I had been using Coconut oil on their food, but then read an article that it should be used with caution. I have since switched to Salmon Oil. Their coats are so soft and shiny. The oil has done wonders. I also give them yogurt on their night time feeding.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.