Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Food causing Odor?

Has anyone ever put their dog on a certain food, and they developed a smell? I'm not talking yeast, or bacterial, etc.

Like did their general smell change? We just finished a small bag of Orijen Six Fish (the food stinks! - but hey its 6 fish) and now Tyson's face folds smell like stinky fish too.

I am aware it could "possibly" be yeast, but he has no gunk, no brown. Its just moist and stinks! I keep it dry as much as I can, and clean it daily but the smell doesn't go away. He's also scratching just one ear. But the ear doesn't smell.
    @Donnam - you feed Winnie this, did you notice any smells when she first started?

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

2. Likes dolphin liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food causing Odor?

Food is the main culprit of smelly dogs.
    Usko was about 7 months old when he started eating raw and what ever smell he had was gone. Voitto's been on raw since 8 weeks and has never smelled, except when he went dipping in our neighbourgs field after they had spread it with manure...this is him waiting his bath...-attachment-php-jpg

4. Likes dolphin, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi I love that picture of him waiting so patiently!

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Food is the main culprit of smelly dogs.
    Usko was about 7 months old when he started eating raw and what ever smell he had was gone. Voitto's been on raw since 8 weeks and has never smelled, except when he went dipping in our neighbourgs field after they had spread it with manure...this is him waiting his bath...-attachment-php-jpg

Gosh I just love your boys. He's new on kibble again - the commercial raw we were feeding had a recall and he got very sick. I still am pissed about that. He was doing so well on the raw, besides the occasional soft poop. This new food is 6 stars, all fish.. it smells so strong. I don't know if that's why he's stinkin... and I wonder if it will go away as his body adjusts to it. I suspected yeast, but not 100% sure yet. Its so annoying being back in the same position with food once again.

My whole heart, Tyson.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Gosh I just love your boys. He's new on kibble again - the commercial raw we were feeding had a recall and he got very sick. I still am pissed about that. He was doing so well on the raw, besides the occasional soft poop. This new food is 6 stars, all fish.. it smells so strong. I don't know if that's why he's stinkin... and I wonder if it will go away as his body adjusts to it. I suspected yeast, but not 100% sure yet. Its so annoying being back in the same position with food once again.
    food would totally do it.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    food would totally do it.....
    But will that smell go away?? Should I keep on with the Six Fish, or try the Regional Red (which is all meats)?

My whole heart, Tyson.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone ever put their dog on a certain food, and they developed a smell? I'm not talking yeast, or bacterial, etc.

Like did their general smell change? We just finished a small bag of Orijen Six Fish (the food stinks! - but hey its 6 fish) and now Tyson's face folds smell like stinky fish too.

I am aware it could "possibly" be yeast, but he has no gunk, no brown. Its just moist and stinks! I keep it dry as much as I can, and clean it daily but the smell doesn't go away. He's also scratching just one ear. But the ear doesn't smell.
    @Donnam - you feed Winnie this, did you notice any smells when she first started?

Yes- Blue stunk when we first put him on raw. Maybe he was detoxing? lol
    Thought of taking him off but loved how much muscle he developed. It went away after a few months.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, food can develop different smells in them and fish is one of them .
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Maggie gets sick when she smells the Salmon-Tunalini! I counter their breath with crunchy Wellness apple and yogurt treats and it worked.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Hey Jessica, I've been feeding Winnie and Jack both Orijen Six Fish for a long time and neither one of them smell fishy. I agree that the food smells, but they seem to love it. One time I accidentally picked up the regular adult food and the seemed to like it too, but I think it has chicken. There's also another flavor with wild game (I think). You can interchange them without doing it gradually, so you might try one of the others and see if the smell goes away? I also give Winnie and Jack Answers Fermented Fish, and it smells too. They do smell after they eat when I give that, but it's their breath and it goes away pretty quickly after they eat.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnam View Post
    Hey Jessica, I've been feeding Winnie and Jack both Orijen Six Fish for a long time and neither one of them smell fishy. I agree that the food smells, but they seem to love it. One time I accidentally picked up the regular adult food and the seemed to like it too, but I think it has chicken. There's also another flavor with wild game (I think). You can interchange them without doing it gradually, so you might try one of the others and see if the smell goes away? I also give Winnie and Jack Answers Fermented Fish, and it smells too. They do smell after they eat when I give that, but it's their breath and it goes away pretty quickly after they eat.

Thanks Donna, I was thinking of picking up the Regional Red tonight and see if it goes away on that flavor. So I can switch them with no transition??

My whole heart, Tyson.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Donna, I was thinking of picking up the Regional Red tonight and see if it goes away on that flavor. So I can switch them with no transition??
    That's what they told me at store--and I did it twice with no reaction.

15. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads