TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Has anyone ever put their dog on a certain food, and they developed a smell? I'm not talking yeast, or bacterial, etc.

Like did their general smell change? We just finished a small bag of Orijen Six Fish (the food stinks! - but hey its 6 fish) and now Tyson's face folds smell like stinky fish too.

I am aware it could "possibly" be yeast, but he has no gunk, no brown. Its just moist and stinks! I keep it dry as much as I can, and clean it daily but the smell doesn't go away. He's also scratching just one ear. But the ear doesn't smell.
@Donnam - you feed Winnie this, did you notice any smells when she first started?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Food is the main culprit of smelly dogs.
Usko was about 7 months old when he started eating raw and what ever smell he had was gone. Voitto's been on raw since 8 weeks and has never smelled, except when he went dipping in our neighbourgs field after they had spread it with manure...this is him waiting his bath... attachment.php.jpg

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I love that picture of him waiting so patiently!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Usko was about 7 months old when he started eating raw and what ever smell he had was gone. Voitto's been on raw since 8 weeks and has never smelled, except when he went dipping in our neighbourgs field after they had spread it with manure...this is him waiting his bath...View attachment 89654

Gosh I just love your boys. He's new on kibble again - the commercial raw we were feeding had a recall and he got very sick. I still am pissed about that. He was doing so well on the raw, besides the occasional soft poop. This new food is 6 stars, all fish.. it smells so strong. I don't know if that's why he's stinkin... and I wonder if it will go away as his body adjusts to it. I suspected yeast, but not 100% sure yet. Its so annoying being back in the same position with food once again.
:wallbang:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gosh I just love your boys. He's new on kibble again - the commercial raw we were feeding had a recall and he got very sick. I still am pissed about that. He was doing so well on the raw, besides the occasional soft poop. This new food is 6 stars, all fish.. it smells so strong. I don't know if that's why he's stinkin... and I wonder if it will go away as his body adjusts to it. I suspected yeast, but not 100% sure yet. Its so annoying being back in the same position with food once again.
:wallbang:

food would totally do it.....

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Has anyone ever put their dog on a certain food, and they developed a smell? I'm not talking yeast, or bacterial, etc.

Like did their general smell change? We just finished a small bag of Orijen Six Fish (the food stinks! - but hey its 6 fish) and now Tyson's face folds smell like stinky fish too.

I am aware it could "possibly" be yeast, but he has no gunk, no brown. Its just moist and stinks! I keep it dry as much as I can, and clean it daily but the smell doesn't go away. He's also scratching just one ear. But the ear doesn't smell.
@Donnam - you feed Winnie this, did you notice any smells when she first started?

Yes- Blue stunk when we first put him on raw. Maybe he was detoxing? lol
Thought of taking him off but loved how much muscle he developed. It went away after a few months.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, food can develop different smells in them and fish is one of them .:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie gets sick when she smells the Salmon-Tunalini! I counter their breath with crunchy Wellness apple and yogurt treats and it worked. :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

Hey Jessica, I've been feeding Winnie and Jack both Orijen Six Fish for a long time and neither one of them smell fishy. I agree that the food smells, but they seem to love it. One time I accidentally picked up the regular adult food and the seemed to like it too, but I think it has chicken. There's also another flavor with wild game (I think). You can interchange them without doing it gradually, so you might try one of the others and see if the smell goes away? I also give Winnie and Jack Answers Fermented Fish, and it smells too. They do smell after they eat when I give that, but it's their breath and it goes away pretty quickly after they eat.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey Jessica, I've been feeding Winnie and Jack both Orijen Six Fish for a long time and neither one of them smell fishy. I agree that the food smells, but they seem to love it. One time I accidentally picked up the regular adult food and the seemed to like it too, but I think it has chicken. There's also another flavor with wild game (I think). You can interchange them without doing it gradually, so you might try one of the others and see if the smell goes away? I also give Winnie and Jack Answers Fermented Fish, and it smells too. They do smell after they eat when I give that, but it's their breath and it goes away pretty quickly after they eat.

Thanks Donna, I was thinking of picking up the Regional Red tonight and see if it goes away on that flavor. So I can switch them with no transition??

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Usko was about 7 months old when he started eating raw and what ever smell he had was gone. Voitto's been on raw since 8 weeks and has never smelled, except when he went dipping in our neighbourgs field after they had spread it with manure...this is him waiting his bath...View attachment 89654

I could just see Gatorman wallowing in a manure field… LMAO!!! RIGHT up his alley…

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Maggie gets sick when she smells the Salmon-Tunalini! I counter their breath with crunchy Wellness apple and yogurt treats and it worked. :)

hey Phil, BTW, I am on Salmon Tunalini well, switching back and forth with lamb and lentil. The Salmon smells like rotten something but Harvey loves it so all is good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.