Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: orijen

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Default orijen

So I am getting my new EB puppy next wk and I am a first team owner of the breed. My breeder is feeding him Iams but I want to switch to Obijen. Not sure if large breed puppy food or regular puppy is best. Any suggestions?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: orijen

I fed Winnie puppy Orijen and she did well on it. She eats adult Orijen now. I don't remember there being but one Orijen puppy food. There may be a regular and a large breed puppy, I just don't remember. Sorry. But I've been very happy with Orijen overall and have never had to switch to another food. Congratulations on your new puppy!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Large breed, and don't over feed. Over nutrition is thought to cause orthopedic disease growing puppies.

Orijen is a great food.

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on your new Bully Baby Diesel. I'm not familiar with the Orijen brand of dog food, but it is listed on the Dog food Ratings as an excellent food. We feed our guys Fromms, but you can't go wrong with any of the food brands that are listed as a 4 Start or better. Please share some pictures of you're new bully.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    Unted States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boudreaux
    Likes (Received)

We feed Orijen Puppy. They do offer the large breed in Orijen. Not sure that an EB would need large breed.
    Just a tip.. Orijen has lots of protein so if you experience soft stools once you transition your EB to orijen just ad 1 TBSP of plain yogurt to your pups diet daily to harden the stool.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

He is having soft stools...is it cause to much protein? Should I switch foods or just add the yogurt

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vcphillips View Post
    We feed Orijen Puppy. They do offer the large breed in Orijen. Not sure that an EB would need large breed.
    Just a tip.. Orijen has lots of protein so if you experience soft stools once you transition your EB to orijen just ad 1 TBSP of plain yogurt to your pups diet daily to harden the stool.
    Most dog food companies consider 50lbs and above large breed. EB's fall into that category. Generally, the only differences is the large breed puppy contains less calories and sometimes additional supplements to support bone and joint health.
    Considering EB's have a ton of Orthopedic issues, *I* believe it's better to feed them the large breed puppy formulas, it certainly can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by TammynDiesel View Post
    He is having soft stools...is it cause to much protein? Should I switch foods or just add the yogurt
    How much are you feeding? Soft stools in a puppy are generally a sign of too much food. Unless you changed over without a transition?

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Well he was on a Blain diet chicken and rice for 2days due to allergic reaction (vomiting) before that it was Iams ...so decided to transfer staight to new food (orijen) so feeding him a 3/4 cup 3a day ...mostly chichen n rice with a little kibble.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TammynDiesel View Post
    Well he was on a Blain diet chicken and rice for 2days due to allergic reaction (vomiting) before that it was Iams ...so decided to transfer staight to new food (orijen) so feeding him a 3/4 cup 3a day ...mostly chichen n rice with a little kibble.
    If you switched over in the last week or so, then the loose stool is normal. He needs to get used to the new food. If you switched him over 2-3 weeks ago, you can cut the feedings by a 1/4- 1/2 cup a day and see how he does. Or, you can add a probiotic and see if it helps. Just don't add too many things too fast.

Real Name
    Michael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Broly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Most dog food companies consider 50lbs and above large breed. EB's fall into that category. Generally, the only differences is the large breed puppy contains less calories and sometimes additional supplements to support bone and joint health.
    Considering EB's have a ton of Orthopedic issues, *I* believe it's better to feed them the large breed puppy formulas, it certainly can't hurt.

How much are you feeding? Soft stools in a puppy are generally a sign of too much food. Unless you changed over without a transition?
    With the question of either going with regular puppy or large breed puppy formulas, i have been told by a couple of bulldog owners that they keep their english bulldog puppies on a small breed puppy formula (not specifically Orijen but in general) because of the extra fat % it contains. According to them "it keeps the puppies looking full and healthy". It makes a little sense to me but I'm not sure if its the best option instead of the large breed. Have you heard anything like this or have done this yourself?

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsbroly View Post
    With the question of either going with regular puppy or large breed puppy formulas, i have been told by a couple of bulldog owners that they keep their english bulldog puppies on a small breed puppy formula (not specifically Orijen but in general) because of the extra fat % it contains. According to them "it keeps the puppies looking full and healthy". It makes a little sense to me but I'm not sure if its the best option instead of the large breed. Have you heard anything like this or have done this yourself?
    They're obviously more concerned with looks than health. Crappy owners.

14. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Soft stool could be over feeding or that you made the switch from his old food to the new one too fast. You need to do a slow transition for him to slowly get used to the new food .

Congratulations on your new baby! We need pictures!!! Yes it's plural .

16. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads