TammynDiesel

Jul 29, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
So I am getting my new EB puppy next wk and I am a first team owner of the breed. My breeder is feeding him Iams but I want to switch to Obijen. Not sure if large breed puppy food or regular puppy is best. Any suggestions?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I fed Winnie puppy Orijen and she did well on it. She eats adult Orijen now. I don't remember there being but one Orijen puppy food. There may be a regular and a large breed puppy, I just don't remember. Sorry. But I've been very happy with Orijen overall and have never had to switch to another food. Congratulations on your new puppy!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Large breed, and don't over feed. Over nutrition is thought to cause orthopedic disease growing puppies.

Orijen is a great food.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Congratulations on your new Bully Baby Diesel. I'm not familiar with the Orijen brand of dog food, but it is listed on the Dog food Ratings as an excellent food. We feed our guys Fromms, but you can't go wrong with any of the food brands that are listed as a 4 Start or better. Please share some pictures of you're new bully.

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
We feed Orijen Puppy. They do offer the large breed in Orijen. Not sure that an EB would need large breed.
Just a tip.. Orijen has lots of protein so if you experience soft stools once you transition your EB to orijen just ad 1 TBSP of plain yogurt to your pups diet daily to harden the stool.

OP
T

TammynDiesel

Jul 29, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
He is having soft stools...is it cause to much protein? Should I switch foods or just add the yogurt

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We feed Orijen Puppy. They do offer the large breed in Orijen. Not sure that an EB would need large breed.
Just a tip.. Orijen has lots of protein so if you experience soft stools once you transition your EB to orijen just ad 1 TBSP of plain yogurt to your pups diet daily to harden the stool.

Most dog food companies consider 50lbs and above large breed. EB's fall into that category. Generally, the only differences is the large breed puppy contains less calories and sometimes additional supplements to support bone and joint health.
Considering EB's have a ton of Orthopedic issues, *I* believe it's better to feed them the large breed puppy formulas, it certainly can't hurt.

He is having soft stools...is it cause to much protein? Should I switch foods or just add the yogurt

How much are you feeding? Soft stools in a puppy are generally a sign of too much food. Unless you changed over without a transition?

OP
T

TammynDiesel

Jul 29, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Well he was on a Blain diet chicken and rice for 2days due to allergic reaction (vomiting) before that it was Iams ...so decided to transfer staight to new food (orijen) so feeding him a 3/4 cup 3×a day ...mostly chichen n rice with a little kibble.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well he was on a Blain diet chicken and rice for 2days due to allergic reaction (vomiting) before that it was Iams ...so decided to transfer staight to new food (orijen) so feeding him a 3/4 cup 3×a day ...mostly chichen n rice with a little kibble.

If you switched over in the last week or so, then the loose stool is normal. He needs to get used to the new food. If you switched him over 2-3 weeks ago, you can cut the feedings by a 1/4- 1/2 cup a day and see how he does. Or, you can add a probiotic and see if it helps. Just don't add too many things too fast.

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
Most dog food companies consider 50lbs and above large breed. EB's fall into that category. Generally, the only differences is the large breed puppy contains less calories and sometimes additional supplements to support bone and joint health.
Considering EB's have a ton of Orthopedic issues, *I* believe it's better to feed them the large breed puppy formulas, it certainly can't hurt.

How much are you feeding? Soft stools in a puppy are generally a sign of too much food. Unless you changed over without a transition?

With the question of either going with regular puppy or large breed puppy formulas, i have been told by a couple of bulldog owners that they keep their english bulldog puppies on a small breed puppy formula (not specifically Orijen but in general) because of the extra fat % it contains. According to them "it keeps the puppies looking full and healthy". It makes a little sense to me but I'm not sure if its the best option instead of the large breed. Have you heard anything like this or have done this yourself?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
With the question of either going with regular puppy or large breed puppy formulas, i have been told by a couple of bulldog owners that they keep their english bulldog puppies on a small breed puppy formula (not specifically Orijen but in general) because of the extra fat % it contains. According to them "it keeps the puppies looking full and healthy". It makes a little sense to me but I'm not sure if its the best option instead of the large breed. Have you heard anything like this or have done this yourself?

They're obviously more concerned with looks than health. Crappy owners.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Soft stool could be over feeding or that you made the switch from his old food to the new one too fast. You need to do a slow transition for him to slowly get used to the new food :D.

Congratulations on your new baby! We need pictures!!! Yes it's plural ;).

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Your concern is valid! I had such a difficult time deciphering the quality and content of kibble!! There is SO much to know. I think it best to keep a journal, that way you know first hand the reactions Broly is having. You really can't go wrong in starting out w/a high quality food, you may end up having to switch due to allergies/growth/ect… Try not to be overwhelmed by opinion and watch Broly's stool, skin/fur reaction…Also, you may want to keep some pumpkin in your cabinet.
I have not tried Orijen, but have read a lot of good things about it. We switched from a "not so great" puppy food (that the breeders started him out on to, I think, Blue, then Pioneer, ended up w/Fromm). I'm still in the learning phase too w/kibble!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.